News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I've recently been informed that the Salvation Army plans to relocate their “Mission Warehouse” from Rose Ave to the former Flamingo Restaurant location at 446 Parliament Street, between Gerrard and Carlton Streets. This would not be good for the area.

What is the "Mission Warehouse"? I guess it can't find a spot in the new building at Shuter and Jarvis?

EDIT: Ok, the Warehouse Mission is the Salvation Army's Christian Church. Yay.

Sigh...

Add the new dollar store, and it's one step forward, two steps back.

The International News is a nice touch though.

Anyone seen the new townhouse development just North of Winchester? It might be the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

The front looks like it was designed as a grade 10 art project. It attempts to channel Victorian elements.. I think.

And the most prominent view is the from the South. And of course, the view from the South is terrible. All you see is the big, oddly-shaped roofing, with zero detailing.

I can't understand how something like this gets approved. It just seems so obviously ugly. Someone took a big rectangular box, beat it up, and hoped the bruises and broken bones would look Victorian.

The Cabbagetown BIA is quite adamant that Parliament remain commercial, not change into residential. Such ugly houses as you mention certainly support their case. However, if it brings upper middle class home owners into the area, it's good for everyone.

The now closed Cabbagetown Restaurant at Spruce and Parliament is still empty, and at risk of turning into another dollar store or something else less welcome. Until Regent Park is redeveloped into a majority market-value neighbourhood, the demographic south of Spruce does not easily support middle class shops. One exception is that new make your own wine shop on the west side of Parliament, which looks nice.

I also can't figure out how those townhouses on Parliament got approval. The house that's right on Parliament is totally exposed to the street. Imagine having breakfast "in public" every morning. I also tried tugging on the plastic fake wood moulding that's attached to the brick facade. One good pull and it all will come crashing down. I watched the builders tack it on to the brick. It took about an hour to put up...5 minutes to tear down. What a horrible mistake this project is.

They have these things now called "curtains". It prevents them from seeing strangers ripping the plastic fake wood moulding from their homes when they're having breakfast.

They have these things now called "curtains". It prevents them from seeing strangers ripping the plastic fake wood moulding from their homes when they're having breakfast.

Touché.

Perhaps I will upload photo's of this development, so long as my camera doesn't vomit the pictures in disgust.

Starbucks coming to King W & Dufferin?

A friend of a friend who works at the starbucks at King and Strachan told me he's being transfered to a new location at King and Dufferin. He said he also heard they're opening a cineplex in the same building.

The only location I can think of that would be attractive to Starbucks and big enough for a Cineplex is this one, near Atlantic, not sure the address or name of the development:
http://www.virtualcity.ca/Map_images/Toronto/643/0283643.JPEG

or on google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...26&spn=0.012454,0.021479&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

I have a hard time believing they could fit a Cineplex in an existing area building except for the 360 Networks building. I don't think they open new Cineplexes without 12 or more theatres. When is this Cineplex supposed to open?

The Committee of Adjustment meeting is on Aug 24. As I understand it, the only issue relating to the Starbucks at Parliament & Aberdeen is whether the building should be allowed to exceed the currently allowed square footage per floor. If the COA says no, the owner will simply resort to the acceptable blueprints and rent small apartments rather than larger condos. The lease with Starbucks has already been signed.

I believe demolition is slated to begin in a week with completion in April 2008.

The building design is different between the smaller and larger footage. The smaller one has balconies on the front on Parliament for each of the upper floors. I think it's one apartment per floor. The front of the Starbucks would be glass. The style reminds me of suburban Shoppers Drug Marts. The larger plan has balconies on the back laneway and the front is flat. Because the floors are larger, the second, third, and fourth floors will extend over the parking in back (approximately halfway over the existing garage which will be demolished). The style is modern stucco and glass. In both plans, the building will come to the property line on Aberdeen (which is inside the fence) and there will be a couple of trees. The Aberdeen wall will be mostly plain with limestone or something like that at ground level and stucco above. There will be limited windows on Aberdeen.

Sorry, I don't know, just hearsay. _If_ the Starbucks opens as this guy said it would (I'm guessing sometime before Christmas) then I'll have my eyes open for the Cineplex.

woah

I didn't realize they were going to knock down this building. Yikes, my girlfriend lives right across the street. This is going to be noisy.

Do you mean the whole stretch there is going down? The Angel Queen just opened, as did that dollar store. Surely they're not going to knock this thing down next week?

They're only knocking down the northernmost building this time. The longterm plan is to knock the stretch down.

They're only knocking down the northernmost building this time. The longterm plan is to knock the stretch down.

They should just roll an Indiana Jones boulder down Parliament. They can let it go at Bloor, and pick it up in the water.

Anyone notice those 2-3 old, run-down crack-houses at Parliament and Wellesley? They're on the North-East side.

"They should just roll an Indiana Jones boulder down Parliament. They can't let it go at Bloor, and pick it up in the water."

Hell, they could just leave it in the water. Unless, you wanted to give Dufferin the same treatment...

"Anyone notice those 2-3 old, run-down crack-houses at Parliament and Wellesley? They're on the North-East side."

Oh yeah. The boys seem to be having a good time when they're out front.

Bad news, the Salvation Army has received approvals from the city to build their centre at the Flamingo Restaurant location on Parliament, South of Gerrard. This is not good news for Cabbagetown, and according to my contact at the BIA many businesses are threatening to quit Cabbagetown and relocate elsewhere. For starters, it looks like the House on Parliament (an excellent pub BTW) is leaving, but at least staying in the area, with a move up to Parliament and Wellesely.

Honestly, I don't know why the Sally Ann thinks this is the right location for this centre, as we don't have all the rooming houses any more, and the area is trying to pick itself up after decades of slum'hood.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/centre/article/31378?thePub=centre
http://www.cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Back