News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Bad news, the Salvation Army has received approvals from the city to build their centre at the Flamingo Restaurant location on Parliament, South of Gerrard. This is not good news for Cabbagetown, and according to my contact at the BIA many businesses are threatening to quit Cabbagetown and relocate elsewhere. For starters, it looks like the House on Parliament (an excellent pub BTW) is leaving, but at least staying in the area, with a move up to Parliament and Wellesely.

Honestly, I don't know why the Sally Ann thinks this is the right location for this centre, as we don't have all the rooming houses any more, and the area is trying to pick itself up after decades of slum'hood.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/centre/article/31378?thePub=centre
http://www.cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Damn

Two steps back. That's Cabbagetown. I live close to Parliament @ Wellesley, but I feel for the Southern portion of the neighborhood.

It's complicated: While I think the city is systematically (and wrongfully) creating pockets of poverty, and pockets of wealth, it wouldn't make sense to put this thing in Forest Hill, would it?

It has to be in an area that reflects it's function.

The whole thing is a cycle.

I don't pay that much attention to the Salvation Army, but I think their location at Broadview and Gerrard has closed down recently. Perhaps the gentrification of Riverdale has obliged them to move their resources further west - to Cabbagetown, where there are more poor people and the need is greater?

Time for all good Christians to celebrate, surely Beez? I'm sure your church congregation will rally round, won't they?

We must remember of course that the Salvation Army is already in Cabbagetown as it is their original location on Rose Ave. that is closing and being replaced by this new one. This new one however is much more prominent, and will be larger, attracting a larger population of folks from outside of the area. This new operation of the Sally Ann is specifically targetting ex-cons, so it's not servicing those in the area, but is instead bringing in ex-cons from outside.

In reply UT, just because you're Christian or attend church regularly doesn't mean you have to welcome convicted sex-offenders and ex-cons into your neighbourhood, espeically if your community already contains far more than its fair share of services for those in need. If you were to put a spike on Carlton and Parliament and measure out a 2,000 metre radius, I'll bet that you'll find well over half of the city's transient shelter housing and outreach services. I'm not saying get rid of those in need in our neighbourhood, but why bring a service to Cabbagetown that may bring at-risk transient men to our community from outside? My children attend Winchester School in Cabbagetown, which has already suffered from trespassing men who have attacked young students. Why make the odds worse by encouraging? If that makes me a bad Christian then so be it.

Perhaps some of those ex-cons and former sex offenders and former white collar criminals are from within your gated community north of Gerrard, too.

I think it makes a lot of sense to locate resources where the need is greatest - the proposed homeless shelter in clubland, where there are many street people, being another good example.

I think it makes a lot of sense to locate resources where the need is greatest
I 100% agree, which is why it makes no sense to put the Salvation Army on Parliament Street in Cabbagetown. The population who needs this service is rapidly declining in the area, or is not in the area yet, as they're in prison about to be released and thus will be drawn to an area that they otherwise would have passed on.

Starbucks in the Upper Beach

Kingston Road and Bingham - the coming soon sign went up yesterday. Hooray for me as I live just around the corner.

I 100% agree, which is why it makes no sense to put the Salvation Army on Parliament Street in Cabbagetown. The population who needs this service is rapidly declining in the area, or is not in the area yet, as they're in prison about to be released and thus will be drawn to an area that they otherwise would have passed on.

dunno about that...regent park?

All those displaced residents must be looking forward to returning to their old neighbourhood, settling into their nice new homes, and carrying on with their lives.

All those displaced residents must be looking forward to returning to their old neighbourhood, settling into their nice new homes, and carrying on with their lives.
Do all your posts have these sligh double meanings? :)

For the record, originally, the City required the Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) to replace all 2,083 of the existing RGI units. However, at the demands of the developers, the on-site RGI replacement units have been reduced to 1,900, 1,700, and now 1,350 units. This means that of the 5,100 units (which is the long-term target for the area), only a fourth (as opposed to the original 40 per cent) will be RGI units.

So, a large part of those displaced residents will not be coming back. Downtown East will still have more than its share of subsidized and affordable housing relative to the rest of the city, so I don't mind spreading out the RGI population somewhat.

When did the Flamingo close? I used to eat there. Certainly not the best food, but great value if you were on a budget. You just had to get there early.

I haven't been down to Parliament for quite some time, but I was there on the weekend and was shocked by the recent changes. Unfortunately, it's still not the place you'd want to go to if you want to take a stroll at night.

Back