• Thread starter The Burgher of TO
  • Start date
The gas station, Canadian Tire (god forbid) and that former donut shop all need to go to make this corner more viable. It's just really scattered right now, but it has a tremendous amount of potential.

I agree, maybe in 4-5 years..thats how long it took this to break ground.

The problem with gas stations aren't the gas stations themselves - this one, for example, won't be very noticeable when Milan is built, and there's nothing very aesthetically terrible about it. And I tend to not notice gas stations in general because I don't drive - which can be a problem when I'm looking for an air pump. The problem with gas stations - like car washes - is that they signify "low property values." And they are usually surrounded by parking lots or vacant lots. So we get bad feelings when we see them - they mark or denote "depressed land values nearby" (and poverty) or "sprawl" or "pedestrian-unfriendly area." But they aren't particularly bad in themselves.

The problem with gas stations aren't the gas stations themselves - this one, for example, won't be very noticeable when Milan is built, and there's nothing very aesthetically terrible about it. And I tend to not notice gas stations in general because I don't drive - which can be a problem when I'm looking for an air pump. The problem with gas stations - like car washes - is that they signify "low property values." And they are usually surrounded by parking lots or vacant lots. So we get bad feelings when we see them - they mark or denote "depressed land values nearby" (and poverty) or "sprawl" or "pedestrian-unfriendly area." But they aren't particularly bad in themselves.

I feel this way whenever I see a Walmart. I just can't see it for the temple of frugality that it is, I just see mullets. If the developer plants in a nice line of trees to soften the transition between auto and condo, this could be an ok site.

Instead of gas stations why not have the fuel trucks visit our residences and fillip the tank while we sleep.

May 11
5712639928_6bc828b95a_b.jpg

5712082551_2561e47043_b.jpg

5712079695_2d771c7d54_b.jpg

5712635374_28018e909e_b.jpg

5712633494_fc51cc2e53_b.jpg

5712631520_c45db74904_b.jpg

This corner (trident?) has one the strangest amalgams of architectural styles in Toronto. There are some really awkward and ugly buildings here but i think they somehow look attractive as a dense whole.

That brown conversion building looks like Network Lofts in ECC. Was this a conversion of a Bell building also?

No; it's a 70s office building w/condo floors added on top a few years later (but yeah, similar in demeanour--and the Networks Lofts Bell also had top storeys added)

Back