News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It would end up ruining the Yonge-Dundas Square name if it was called Toronto Life Square.
I actually hope that they pull this off. I'd rather it be called Toronto Life something else.

It's Dundas Square! I really don't know how "Yonge-Dundas Square" or "Yonge and Dundas Square" became more prominent, or how Y-D Square morphed as the "official name".

I am not quite sure why anybody will call it "Life Square" when Life is neither the name of the building or the square. I think with the media outlets continuing to call the square by the proper name, even "Toronto Life Square" will have a hard time taking hold as the name of the actual square. People can't be that stupid? (right?....anyone?)

If people start saying things like: "Let's go watch X movie @ Toronto Life Square", the name will undoubtedly catch on as the name of the place: "Meet me at Toronto Life Square".

'Toronto' is bound to be dropped off. How many people do you know that say "Toronto Eaton Centre" on a regular basis?

I'm just going with basic psychology and marketing. If this building does indeed get named Toronto Life Square, I'm confident that 5 years down the road, everybody will be calling the area Life Square.

If people start calling it Life Square, it could be an unintentional benefit to Shoppers Drug Mart

120px-Shoppers_Life_Brand_Logo.gif

. . S Q U A R E . .

How many people called Maple Leaf Gardens, "Leaf Gardens"? "Toronto Life" is a name, unlike "Toronto Eaton". It makes sense that Toronto has been dropped off 'the Eaton Centre" as it was an unnecessary descriptive word. "Life Square" makes no more sense than calling Madison Square Gardens, "Square Gardens" or again, Maple Leaf Gardens, "Leaf Gardens".

here's a pic of the Emirates ad being installed, found on an aviation forum.....

2w50evb.jpg

^ actually, that looks better than I thought and it's a good use for that space.

Bring on the avalanche of ads to Dundas Square!

How many people called Maple Leaf Gardens, "Leaf Gardens"? "Toronto Life" is a name, unlike "Toronto Eaton". It makes sense that Toronto has been dropped off 'the Eaton Centre" as it was an unnecessary descriptive word. "Life Square" makes no more sense than calling Madison Square Gardens, "Square Gardens" or again, Maple Leaf Gardens, "Leaf Gardens".

It was common to refer to it as "The Gardens", as in "I saw Abba at The Gardens last weekend". Another example was Skydome, "I saw a Jays game at the Dome on Sunday afternoon".

"Toronto Life Centre" makes more sense to me, the building is really not a "Square" in the traditional sense. I think people will come to confuse "Toronto Life Square" with "Yonge-Dundas Square".

It was common to refer to it as "The Gardens", as in "I saw Abba at The Gardens last weekend". Another example was Skydome, "I saw a Jays game at the Dome on Sunday afternoon".

But nobody called it 'Leaf Gardens". That was the point of my rant.

Yonge-Dundas Square... the kind of goofy name only a bunch of clueless old crusty suits sitting around a table could come up with...

Back