News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^If you're into gardening, check out the latest Hot Shot gallery show, on Augusta north of Dundas. (Doubles as a cool coffee shop.)

Anyhow, some young fellow named Josh Blank (the guy with the yellow bag on the left below) has a "show" that highlights all the latest in organic gardening/farming, plants included (and for sale.)

Here's a sample:

dsc00179v.jpg

Last edited:
City of Toronto
3:10 PM EDT Sunday 17 May 2009
Frost warning for
City of Toronto issued

..Widespread frost expected tonight..

This is a warning that at or near zero ground temperatures will cause frost in the parts of these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A large bubble of Arctic high pressure will settle over the Great Lakes tonight accompanied with crystal clear skies and diminishing winds. The combined effects of cloud free skies and light winds will produce ideal conditions for a widespread frost over almost all of southern and eastern Ontario. The most likely time period for frost will be from after midnight until just after sunrise Monday morning. The only areas likely to be spared the frost are large urban centres such as downtown Toronto or Ottawa and also those communities in close proximity to the Great Lakes.

The mercury will quickly rise above the freezing mark just after sunrise Monday and the frost warning will be ended at that time.

I bought all of my plants & herbs on Friday but I didn't plant them when I saw the forecast for the weekend. I brought them in tonight just to be safe.
It looks like May is finally arriving. Starting Monday the temperatures look like they will be rising each day (and at night) to more seasonal levels with Wednesday & Thursday hitting 23 & 25C respectively. Of course that could change.

I bought all of my plants & herbs on Friday but I didn't plant them when I saw the forecast for the weekend. I brought them in tonight just to be safe.
It looks like May is finally arriving. Starting Monday the temperatures look like they will be rising each day (and at night) to more seasonal levels with Wednesday & Thursday hitting 23 & 25C respectively. Of course that could change.

It's still too early to plant outside no matter how tempting it is.

There wasn't any frost last night - at least in the city. Tomatoes survived just fine. It's extremely unusual to have a frost this late in the city ...

For the once every 20 years or so it happens, the worst-case scenario is to go spend $3 and buy 12 new tomato plants.

I checked the thermostat on my balcony around 3am & it read 10C, give or take a degree.
The general rule of thumb for our climate in Toronto is by May 15th the chance of frost is past, of course there can be exceptions such as this year. Many people wait for the Victoria Day weekend to do their planting which was a week earlier than normal this year.

The cold weather and strong winds are killing some herbs and plants on my balcony. It's almost June!

Special weather statement
Issued by Environment Canada Ontario region. 10:21 AM EDT Wednesday
27 May 2009.

Special weather statement issued for..
City of Toronto
Halton - Peel
York - Durham
Waterloo - Wellington
Dufferin - Innisfil
Barrie - Orillia - Midland
Belleville - Quinte - Northumberland
Kingston - Prince Edward
Peterborough - Kawartha Lakes
Brockville - Leeds and Grenville
Smiths Falls - Lanark - Sharbot Lake.

..Slow moving system brings a prolonged duration of rain..

A low pressure system over the midwestern United States is ever so
slowly tracking eastward into Michigan today. This system is
bringing a fair amount of moisture from the gulf of Mexico making it
a rather wet storm. Due to its slow progression some regions may see
significant rainfall in a swath extending from Kitchener east through
Toronto to Brockville and as far north as Barrie.

General rainfall amounts of 30 to 40 millimetres are likely with
local amounts near 50 millimetres possible. Since the rain is
expected to fall over a 24 hour period, this event is not expected to
exceed the Environment Canada rainfall warning criteria of 50
millimetres in 12 hours. However, should this disturbance intensify
more than currently expected rainfall warnings may be required.

This is good, we need the rain. Hopefully it'll clear up by early next week and return to more seasonal values.

Perfect gardening weather yesterday, nice and cool after our lively pre-rain laneway party on Saturday afternoon. The soil was damp and the weeds came up easily.

I cut down the once-beautiful pink saucer magnolia - ailing for the past five summers with scale - which was once the star attraction of the garden that my late partner designed in the early '90s. I couldn't be bothered to keep applying summer and dormant oil, and it had been so weakened by the blight that it was more practical to bid it farewell. But the garden's much brighter now, and plants that had been increasingly living in the shade have their place in the sun again. Next year I may plant a few pink tree peonies there - they won't grow much beyond three feet.

Cooler than normal summer expected for us. How disappointing, but yet not surprising after the crappy spring:
sfe1t_s.gif

Also a wetter than normal summer expected, yet again, not surprising:
sfe1p_s.gif

Cooler than normal summer expected for us. How disappointing, but yet not surprising after the crappy spring:
If cooler than normal means that we won't be getting over 30 and humid, I'll be happy. I thought it's been quite a pleasant spring so far. Lots of nice days ... a little chilly at times ... but lots of sunshine.

Back