News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What I don't understand is why you need 24 wheel chair spots a train. Like honestly, have you ever seen even 1 person in a wheel chair get on the subway? Very rarely. Let alone 24? They should have 1 car that has wheel chair accommodation out of the 6. Just like the go train only has one handicap car out of 10. Man the TTC loves wasting money!

So what you're telling me is that people who already have a difficult time getting around, should have their lived made worse by having to wheel there way through a crowd, or rush down a platform to get to a specific car just to be able to get around the city?

You're either very inconsiderate or you really didn't think that through...

Oh this one's a real piece of work -- he once started a thread ranting about how disability accommodations on public transit are a waste of money, discrimination laws be damned.

Unsurprisingly, it was shut down by mods pretty fast.

Oh this one's a real piece of work -- he once started a thread ranting about how disability accommodations on public transit are a waste of money, discrimination laws be damned.

Unsurprisingly, it was shut down by mods pretty fast.

He sounds like one of the high floor bus fans boys who blame the disabled for Low Floor buses.

So what you're telling me is that people who already have a difficult time getting around, should have their lived made worse by having to wheel there way through a crowd, or rush down a platform to get to a specific car just to be able to get around the city?

You're either very inconsiderate or you really didn't think that through...

That said. I am genuinely curious why the huge discrepancy between GO and TTC? Also, I am wondering if it would make more sense to have the wheelchair spots in one car...are elevator locations (in relation to the train), relatively consistent throughout the TTC? If so, then I would think it would be more convenient to do this. If not, then I get why there's spots on each car.

when I was in Germany (forgot which city), they had a specific train for assessibility and marking on the platform. they need the operator to put a ramp for the people in wheel chair to get on. i thought that was fine. you really dont need accessibility to all trains. just ones that are closest to the elevator. this makes it easier for people in wheelchair.

Last edited:
when I was in Berlin, they had a specific train for assessibility and marking on the platform. they need the operator to put a ramp for the people in wheel chair to get on. i thought that was fine. you really dont need accessibility to all trains. just ones that are closest to the elevator. this makes it easier for people in wheelchair.

That doesn't work in Toronto because the elevators are all over the place. Besides, the subway cars stop close enough to the platform that there is no need for any additional ramp. I have seen people in wheelchairs get into older subway cars without dedicated locations, and they still fit just fine.

Now, GO, on the other hand....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

ahh i see that you mean now. yea, the accessibility train was always the front/end train. that wouldn't be ideal if elevators in the middle of the platform

So, what exactly is so horrible about the accessible spots on the train?
I was previously under the impression that they were simply areas which lacked seats, and had straps to lock in to.

Are we complaining that there are a couple fewer seats?

If anything, doesn't this promote more standing-room capacity? I know I've heard of trails in NYC and Japan where they've had seats that fold up so that at rush hour they can fit in more people.

So, what exactly is so horrible about the accessible spots on the train?
I was previously under the impression that they were simply areas which lacked seats, and had straps to lock in to.

Are we complaining that there are a couple fewer seats?

If anything, doesn't this promote more standing-room capacity? I know I've heard of trails in NYC and Japan where they've had seats that fold up so that at rush hour they can fit in more people.

I don't see what the big deal about the extra wheelchair spots is. When not in use by a wheelchair, it's a regular seat, it just happens to fold up. It's not like the wheelchair spots are quardonned off with a velvet rope, and only people in wheelchairs may enter. If someone in a wheelchair happens to get on, and you're sitting in that designated spot, you get up and move. Not the end of the world. And oh no, it cost the TTC an extra $2 to attach a couple hinges to a row of seats so that it folds up! What an outrage!

EDIT: After reading Markster's post, I realized that they are open spaces, not fold-up seats. My point about the velvet rope still stands though.

That said. I am genuinely curious why the huge discrepancy between GO and TTC? Also, I am wondering if it would make more sense to have the wheelchair spots in one car...are elevator locations (in relation to the train), relatively consistent throughout the TTC? If so, then I would think it would be more convenient to do this. If not, then I get why there's spots on each car.
GO train doors are a large step up from platform level, so GO transit had to build a raised platform with ramps on each platform to accomodate wheelchairs. The location has no relation to the elevators, and I'm sure they would use more accessible cars if the step wasn't an obstacle.

Last edited:

Back