News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The urban planning and development geek in me says bring it on!... then sit back and watch all the fun for the next ten years!!

Not to mention, the games would be a reliable leverage for federal funds, which Toronto never seems to get its fair share of. I do also have faith that Toronto/Canada would organize more responsibly than many other host cities, that ours would be among the more sustainable of games (going on faith only, mind!). If planned well it could be coordinated with Luminato and TIFF, it would be the summer of Toronto, the city's moment to shine!

Not to mention, the games would be a reliable leverage for federal funds, which Toronto never seems to get its fair share of.

Much like my comment about 'fiscal conservatism' ending at the politician's front door, I have yet to find anyone who doesn't believe they're being screwed out of their 'fair share' of any pot of community money.

Much like my comment about 'fiscal conservatism' ending at the politician's front door, I have yet to find anyone who doesn't believe they're being screwed out of their 'fair share' of any pot of community money.

Yes, well Montreal and Vancouver have had their turn at bat so i'm not sure how you could spin that one?

So, ONCE AGAIN, my posting my reasonable objections on the internet has not stopped these pillocks? I'm definitely going to have start commenting on newspaper articles on the Star site!

What. a. waste. of. money.

At this point I think Toronto actually deserves the Olympics, in a "careful what you wish for" way.

It could be written up in history as the last time a country with a functional democracy hosted the Olympics.

The urban planning and development geek in me says bring it on!... then sit back and watch all the fun for the next ten years!!

Not to mention, the games would be a reliable leverage for federal funds, which Toronto never seems to get its fair share of. I do also have faith that Toronto/Canada would organize more responsibly than many other host cities, that ours would be among the more sustainable of games (going on faith only, mind!). If planned well it could be coordinated with Luminato and TIFF, it would be the summer of Toronto, the city's moment to shine!
Agree. What's the point of living in a big city if it's not going to host huge spectacular events when possible.

The Scarborough subway will be a never-ending waste of money. TCHC is huge bottomless pit of spending that will never be enough, and never end. People should take some time and look at what Toronto spends money on in the 2015 budget.
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Strategic Communications/City Budget/2015/PDFs/Budget Basics/A1500371_BudgetAtAGlance_Final.pdf
• Install state-of-the-art signaling systems to increase train capacity on the YongeUniversity-Spadina line ($292.1 million) and Bloor-Danforth line ($330.6 million) •
An increase of $443.2 million for the rehabilitation of the F. G. Gardiner Expressway ($970.0 M) to accelerate the project to reduce traffic and user impacts by an estimated eight years
• $1.6 billion to upgrade the Ashbridges Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant
• $192 million for the Solid Waste long-term waste management strategy and facility
• Invest $625.7 million in Parks, Forestry and Recreation state of good repair and $205.2 million to construct 13 new or expanded community centres with an additional $16 million to design and construct the Wellesley Community Centre pool
That's around $15 million each for community centres, and $16 million for a community pool.

I'm not saying any of these are unnecessary or unwanted. But anything built to government standards is going to be really fucking expensive, and Toronto's a great big city that needs massive, costly infrastructure.

The Olympics would be an amazing event and party. And provide the federal money and opportunity to create more than just what we need to keep plodding along trying to keep up with the growing population.

And despite having no large vacant parcels of land, we will be able to totally avoid displacement problems!

Never been to the Portlands or Lower Donlands, basically where the new mouth of the Don River could eventually be? And just west of Woodbine Racetrack to 427 is empty fields at the moment (Woodbine Live?).

And despite having no large vacant parcels of land, we will be able to totally avoid displacement problems!

Say something new. You're like a...

Screen shot 2015-07-22 at 10.28.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-07-22 at 10.28.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-07-22 at 10.28.50 PM.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 514
Never been to the Portlands or Lower Donlands, basically where the new mouth of the Don River could eventually be? And just west of Woodbine Racetrack to 427 is empty fields at the moment (Woodbine Live?).

That isn't nearly enough land to meet the requirements.

Nonsense. This is London's Olympic Park, including Westfield Stratford City, superimposed over our Port Lands (same scale).

portland vs olympic village.jpg

Attachments

• portland vs olympic village.jpg
    portland vs olympic village.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

Back