I call this sugar coating and typical low Toronto standard. I see the gradual improvement and I like many of them. But overall, central waterfront is a massive failure. One would have to have lived in Toronto his entire life not to realize that.

The implicit claim to superior and wider experience in your post is irritating. You need to recognize that it is possible for your fellow posters to have lived in a variety of locations and still disagree with you. And even a person who has "lived in Toronto his entire life" may have very carefully considered aesthetic judgments that may be different from yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call this sugar coating and typical low Toronto standard. I see the gradual improvement and I like many of them. But overall, central waterfront is a massive failure. One would have to have lived in Toronto his entire life not to realize that.

As to the East Bay, it will be more residential with some promenades and stuff. Pleasant at the best, but will never be great to attract people from elsewhere to see.

I'll be sure to reexamine the years I spent living in London and New York City before responding in the future.

Better yet, perhaps I'll consult the tens of thousands of tourists who visit our waterfront every single year before disputing the claim that it "will never be great to attract people from elsewhere to see."

smh

I know, I looked at a few weeks ago, literally standing there shaking my head. It's not boding well.

I've been down that area quite a bit and think that it looks fine. Looks even better with the Monde backdrop and will fit in nicely once the other Tridel properties are completed in the area. Is it moving or exciting design? Not really, but it's not as horrid as some people are making it out to be

I was born and raised in Toronto. In the last century. Even in the 60's and 70's our waterfront was a toilet. It an't no more.

To suggest changes from Bathurst to now Sherbourne, with much much more to come, is less than transformational is doing a great disservice to all. Opinions on aesthetics might vary but it seems that people living in all the thousands of new homes and plus those wandering around Harbourfront, using the marinas, eating in the restaurants, parking before the games, taking the ferries, using the new 'beaches', shopping in the stores,walking their dogs, riding their bikes, jogging - they seem to like it. A lot.

I'll be sure to reexamine the years I spent living in London and New York City before responding in the future.

Better yet, perhaps I'll consult the tens of thousands of tourists who visit our waterfront every single year before disputing the claim that it "will never be great to attract people from elsewhere to see."

smh

since when NYC and London are famous for their waterfront?

I was born and raised in Toronto. In the last century. Even in the 60's and 70's our waterfront was a toilet. It an't no more.

To suggest changes from Bathurst to now Sherbourne, with much much more to come, is less than transformational is doing a great disservice to all. Opinions on aesthetics might vary but it seems that people living in all the thousands of new homes and plus those wandering around Harbourfront, using the marinas, eating in the restaurants, parking before the games, taking the ferries, using the new 'beaches', shopping in the stores,walking their dogs, riding their bikes, jogging - they seem to like it. A lot.

oh, no one denies it is transformational. It is much better than before. Doesn't change the fact it is still sub-par for a city like Toronto. It is simply a jump from 2/10 to 5/10 in reality. Harbourfront centre area is pitiful and lack any kind of elegance or beauty. The restaurants, are you joking? Shopping? you mean in Sobeys? They vastly changed the predestrian/jogger experience, which is wonderful. But the whole package is still quite lacking.

I remember in 2008, QQ east of Yonge was largely industrial without even a sidewalk. I was so shocked. NOW it is becoming a upper middle class residential neighbourhood (with poor transit options).

since when NYC and London are famous for their waterfront?

oh, no one denies it is transformational. It is much better than before. Doesn't change the fact it is still sub-par for a city like Toronto. It is simply a jump from 2/10 to 5/10 in reality. Harbourfront centre area is pitiful and lack any kind of elegance or beauty. The restaurants, are you joking? Shopping? you mean in Sobeys? They vastly changed the predestrian/jogger experience, which is wonderful. But the whole package is still quite lacking.

I remember in 2008, QQ east of Yonge was largely industrial without even a sidewalk. I was so shocked. NOW it is becoming a upper middle class residential neighbourhood (with poor transit options).

Half full, half empty is suppose. But there are many decent, thriving restaurants of substance and they're full, now year round. One York and the new RBC tower are 100 leased, food courts jammed, retailers like Winners are moving in. 1st Cap now controls the retail at this development and they ain't stupid. They see the potential for retail. There's the skating rink in the winter and paddle pond in the summer, the Telus bandstand, and the number or tour and party boats !!

I see success.

The islands are perhaps Toronto's most unique feature, but I agree the amenities are looking pretty tired. Just upgrading the fountain and botanical areas would help a lot, and maybe a few large sculptures in the parkland for visual interest. I'd love to see the Guildwood relics moved there.

At risk of pushing this further OT -indeed, if there is a place for a truly iconic fountain, the Islands would be it. This just isn't good enough for what should have been the premier park in Toronto:

https://goo.gl/maps/xbkjjLPycL82

Nevermind the tourists, this space in and on its own isn't even sufficient to induce the locals to visit. Cast concrete paving, anemic water feature, lacklustre landscaping - it might be nice 50 years ago.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2013/06/25/mod-toronto-modernism-on-the-toronto-islands/

AoD

Last edited:
I think my problem with Aqualina is that in the beginning of construction, it felt like it had so much potential and I was pretty optimistic, but once the cladding went up, it became pretty disappointing. I can't really articulate what it is, but the overall finish just feels "meh" to me.

I think it'll be exciting once people move in, and there's more foot traffic around the area though.

The islands are still nice as a retro encapsulation of park planning 50 years ago. Kind of a place where time moves more slowly than the rest of the city.

I think they're too physically and psychologically isolated for the city to put significant spending into them. Out of sight, out of mind.

I think my problem with Aqualina is that in the beginning of construction, it felt like it had so much potential and I was pretty optimistic, but once the cladding went up, it became pretty disappointing. I can't really articulate what it is, but the overall finish just feels "meh" to me.

I think it'll be exciting once people move in, and there's more foot traffic around the area though.

The design is not stellar in and on its own in the first place, further diluted by the choice of cladding. It will be one of these background buildings at the end of the day I think - could have been far, far better, bit of a waste, but not an unmitigated disaster.

AoD

It definitely won't be a background building due to its location- much like the Infinity Condos around Roundhouse Park, it'll always be front and centre in people's pictures... which is unfortunate.

I still think that some more interesting or colourful balcony cladding would have prevented this from getting too bad.

It definitely won't be a background building due to its location- much like the Infinity Condos around Roundhouse Park, it'll always be front and centre in people's pictures... which is unfortunate.

I still think that some more interesting or colourful balcony cladding would have prevented this from getting too bad.

It will be, but it's has very limited frontage on Queen's Quay and the promenade and away from core attraction (Sugar Beach/slip) - so it's not nearly as critical as gateway buildings like the Innovation Centre.

AoD

This is way OT but since ksun wants to know since when London and New York were famous for their waterfronts, perhaps the mods would permit a response. The irony is too delicious. In the case of London, since at least 1802.

Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!

Courtesy, William Wordsworth. (But what did Wordsworth know about beauty.)

To get back on topic, it is unlikely anyone will write one of the most famous sonnets in the English lnguage about the Toronto waterfront or Aqualina in particular. But the waterfront is improving and Aqualina is not an actual blot on the landscape.

True, though the potential of the Islands are far from being realized - poor, dated landscaping, attractions, etc. Not saying that it should be Singapore's Sentosa, but as it stands now the place is quaint.

AoD

Ontario Place should be our version of Sentosa.

It is a shame that we have dropped the ball there so immensely.

The islands are still nice as a retro encapsulation of park planning 50 years ago. Kind of a place where time moves more slowly than the rest of the city.

I think they're too physically and psychologically isolated for the city to put significant spending into them. Out of sight, out of mind.

It is very popular through the summer and fall months and I think it is increasingly being regarded by newcomers and tourists as a unique part of the city just 10 mins from the core. I would hate to see it developed to anything remotely close to Sentosa- judging from pics. But I don't think it would require exorbitant expense to upgrade, particularly the planted botanical areas and fountain.

Back