Is occupancy happening soon? I do think it's a great location being right beside the park and brick path.

Not sure if anyone is living there yet but it is getting close. Lobby looked pretty much finished.

IMG_6274.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG
IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6276.JPG
IMG_6272.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_6278.JPG
    IMG_6278.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_6275.JPG
    IMG_6275.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_6276.JPG
    IMG_6276.JPG
    510.8 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 411
Fairly mediocre, chock-full of suburbia-tier cheap window-wall/spandrel/precast, dolloped onto uninspired massing and programming.

This is a building that literally does the bare minimum for the site (fills in a gap and provides some retail and an atrophied passageway/"""warming space"""). You can literally plonk the building down into Downtown Markham and it would still fit in.

That's pretty harsh - have you been there?

I may be in the minority but I feel that they've done a pretty good job of it, especially when you take the building in concert with Monde and the surrounding area. The balconies and glass evoke a continuation of the water (waves etc), and the structure itself is a pretty nice to look at from Sherbourne Common.

The constuction gate was removed today (they were having a residents' orientation) and so we got to walk in and around the new street. The lobby looks good. It's intereseting seeing the effect of the streetwall looking up from the bottom of the street with Aqualina and Monde on the other side of Queens Quay.

That's pretty harsh - have you been there?

I may be in the minority but I feel that they've done a pretty good job of it, especially when you take the building in concert with Monde and the surrounding area. The balconies and glass evoke a continuation of the water (waves etc), and the structure itself is a pretty nice to look at from Sherbourne Common.

Yes I have. There's nothing wrong with the design concept per se, but the execution is extremely disappointing, especially for such a premiere location.

The huge amount of unevenly distributed cheap spandrel makes the underlying design concept extremely muddled, and makes the facade unintentionally messy rather evoke the movement and feeling of water.

I mean, what's with the huge block of windowless spandrel up on the north-east side?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmywuphotography/36588333111/

And where's the feeling of water?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...del-arquitectonica.20698/page-51#post-1252902

Compare the glass used against the glass being used on Monde, across the street.

If they wanted to evoke waves and water, they should have spent the money and clad the entire building with the curtain wall they used for the cube. I feel this is a classic case of Tridel cheaping out on a perfectly fine design concept and going back to the window wall suppliers they typically use.

Last edited:
Aqualina-1.jpg

NE entrance...

Aqualina-2.jpg

Peering into lobby...

Aqualina-3.jpg

To the south of the lobby...

Aqualina-4.jpg

Attachments

• Aqualina-1.jpg
    Aqualina-1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 520
  • Aqualina-2.jpg
    Aqualina-2.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Aqualina-3.jpg
    Aqualina-3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Aqualina-4.jpg
    Aqualina-4.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 461
Not sure you'd call that a mobile—no idea if those 'float' around—but it reminds me of one, looks great.

Those stairs lead down to various amenities.

Say what you want about Tridel, but they always do a good job when it comes to the finishing touches. Lobby,amenities,common areasetc always top notch. Oh, and everything is always ready by the time you move in. No waiting a year for the gym or balconies to be ready. Exactly how things should be.

Say what you want about Tridel, but they always do a good job when it comes to the finishing touches. Lobby,amenities,common areasetc always top notch. Oh, and everything is always ready by the time you move in. No waiting a year for the gym or balconies to be ready. Exactly how things should be.

That's the one good thing I hear about Tridel- their exteriors are usually a dog's breakfast (again, they probably use the same window wall spandrel system for all their buildings), but the interiors are decently finished and constructed.

From the spandrel patterns you see on Tridel buildings, it almost always seems like the building is designed from the inside out (with whatever exterior design forced to adapt to the interior layouts).

I biked down it on Wednesday and a security guard came out and told me to leave.. the fences are down but apparently you can't use it yet. I think it's open just to allow residents in and out.

The promenade along the lake is still closed. It's only the new road - just enough to get to the garage entrance. The building has started occupancy so I'm fairly sure it's just to let residents get in and out.

From the spandrel patterns you see on Tridel buildings, it almost always seems like the building is designed from the inside out

From what I've been told the founders have always been more interested on the insides of their buildings rather than the outsides. The purchasers live inside and not outside is what they believe.

Back