buranof17.jpg

WOW! Excellent. Turned out much better than I ever expected. I hope they made a good decision on the windows.

Walked along College today towards Yonge; caught a glilmpse of Burano in the distance.

Even at this stage it stands out from two blocks away.

I'd sorta wish that there would have been a greater difference between the Murano and Burano projects. they're different in design, but colour wise almost identical. It makes it seem like they build these towers in bulk which makes if feel cheap. sorta like the NY tower complex in north york but much lessened. but great on the skyline :)

Your opinion's changed 3 times in the course of one page about Burano. What will it be?

WOW! Excellent. Turned out much better than I ever expected. I hope they made a good decision on the windows.

As do I. I've seen my share of heritage building renos with sleek muntin-free windows which look awkward, or even mirrored glass.

Every time they disassemble and reassemble a heritage building - no matter how meticulously - I always wonder if they have that moment where they're standing there looking at the just-finished product and there's three bricks and a beam left over, and somebody's like, goddammit!

Alright. If uptown is a 6.5 then burano is a 7.5.
(incase you want to know, trump is an 8-8.5, ritz is an 8.5, shangri-la and four seasons are a 9-9.5)

So burano is your average to slightly above average skyscraper. Aside from it's shape, there's no real wow factor here. (height is respectable though)

It would be nice if the city could narrow Bay at Grenville. I know it's not a signalized intersection and pedestrians aren't supposed to be crossing there, but the reality is that many pedestrians do and the current configuration makes it harder to do safely. It wouldn't really take any extra lanes either; the right northbound lane is superwide at that point for some reason (probably because of the curve in the road), so even if they took 6 or 7 feet off of that lane it would be 6 or 7 fewer feet of road for people to dash across. Maybe they could even use the extra sidewalk space for some landscaping, or street vendors, or something.

That's "war on the car" talk!!!

I jest. I completely agree with you. Bay St is very wide here for no reason and much more can be done. It's too bad the wide sidewalks north of here didn't carry all the way down.

Alright. If uptown is a 6.5 then burano is a 7.5.
(incase you want to know, trump is an 8-8.5, ritz is an 8.5, shangri-la and four seasons are a 9-9.5)

So burano is your average to slightly above average skyscraper. Aside from it's shape, there's no real wow factor here. (height is respectable though)

In my books, if uptown is a 6.5, Burano is a 12.

It would be nice if the city could narrow Bay at Grenville. I know it's not a signalized intersection and pedestrians aren't supposed to be crossing there, but the reality is that many pedestrians do and the current configuration makes it harder to do safely. It wouldn't really take any extra lanes either; the right northbound lane is superwide at that point for some reason (probably because of the curve in the road), so even if they took 6 or 7 feet off of that lane it would be 6 or 7 fewer feet of road for people to dash across. Maybe they could even use the extra sidewalk space for some landscaping, or street vendors, or something.

With Murano here, Burano going up, the Women's College Hospital expansion, 9 Grenville proposed and plenty of traffic dodgers it seems to me that this corner should simply be signaled and synced so as not to slow down Bay Street traffic.

Extra points for the podium and how it meets the street... I assume. Plus it's angled!! Bonus points for that quality too.

Yeah extra points are ok..i kind of agree on the podium and the angle, but gee if its anything like the Muranos across the street i would not give it more than a 6.

Burano update

Inspired by androiduk's fantastic photograph yesterday I had to stop by today and grab a couple more updates. It was incredibly windy on Bay Street, I could barely hold my camera steady at Wellesley & Bay. I gotta' tell you, I felt pretty uncomfortable walking under the hoarding in front of Murano with those crazy winds, especially after I noticed that even more of the glass panels above the sidewalk have blown out since I was last by here.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

North of the Burano site and south of the site, respectively -

]

The podium, a work in progress -

Back