News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So, does anyone want to comment on the idea I proposed below?

I was trying to post the image of the CPR underpass bridge (slide 27 from http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/presentation/lairddrivetowynforddrive.pdf ) but for for some reason it is not working.

Keep two eastbound Eglinton lanes (south of LRT tracks). Southernmost EB lane ends (merges into other EB lane) between intersection and CPR overpass.

Have the other SB lane ramp down to a tunnel going under the WB Eglinton lanes and LRT tracks and curving south-east to emerge as the northernmost of the EB Eglinton lanes right near where the two (straight-through) EB lanes merge into one.

I would doubt that one through lane EB would be enough - currently there are 3. I would also guess that Eglinton gets more signal time than Leslie.
The turning ramp SB to EB has to go under the LRT (i.e. 4.8m clearance plus maybe 0.6m of tunnel roof thickness) and have a reasonable radius and climb to street level within 150m before the CPR. I doubt there is room for this.

It is nice out-of-the-box thinking, but I think if they do not want a simple south side of road alignment, then they probably would not want a 3 level interchange.

I would doubt that one through lane EB would be enough - currently there are 3. I would also guess that Eglinton gets more signal time than Leslie.
The turning ramp SB to EB has to go under the LRT (i.e. 4.8m clearance plus maybe 0.6m of tunnel roof thickness) and have a reasonable radius and climb to street level within 150m before the CPR. I doubt there is room for this.

It is nice out-of-the-box thinking, but I think if they do not want a simple south side of road alignment, then they probably would not want a 3 level interchange.

Good points, thanks Burl.

And thanks for your comments too Den.

TBM tracker has been updated. Seems like they're moving a lot slower than 75m-100m per week. Any ideas as to why?

TBM tracker has been updated. Seems like they're moving a lot slower than 75m-100m per week. Any ideas as to why?

My guess is soil conditions and the fact that the keele headwalls were only completed a week or two ago. Installation and testing of the conveyor belt systems also took a length of time so the Tbms were operating at max speed I don't think. I believe Bruce mccuaig metrolinx CEO was saying last week that they finally have them moving at about 10m per day so the pace should pick up.

I was looking at the stations on the Eglinton line again, and it struck me how ridiculously close Ferrand and Wynford are to each other. Although, really Ferrand is just way too close to Don Mills. I'd totally axe Ferrand, but keeping Wynford would be fine. Even Bermondsey I can see justification to keep, even though it's not super far from Vic Park. Pharmacy is pretty close to Vic Park too, but it is a major street so I accept it. Lebovic seems like a minor street, but I guess it serves Eglinton Town Centre. Birchmount is important, of course it should stay. But Ionview seems useless. I'd totally get rid of it. On the other end, I'd also keep Leslie even though it's not close to anything, just because it's not close to any other stops. I'd just build it properly so it is separated properly.

So ultimately, I'd just get rid of Ferrand, Ionview and possibly Lebovic.

^ Ferrand stop is mostly for people who live further east, but still on the west side of DVP. Crossing DVP to reach Wynford is difficult. In the absence of Ferrand stop, they would have to walk all the way to Don Mills. If you live at Ferrand, walking 300 m to Don Mills is not a big deal, but if you live 300 - 400 m south-east or north-east of Ferrand, the combined distance to Don Mills becomes nontrivial.

In case of Ionview, the problem is that Kennedy station will be about 250 m east of Kennedy street. In the absence of Ionview stop, the distance between Birchmount and Kennedy Stn would be about 1 km.

Leslie station makes most sense if they choose south-side alignment in the area (I still hope they will, but time is running out).

I was looking at the stations on the Eglinton line again, and it struck me how ridiculously close Ferrand and Wynford are to each other. Although, really Ferrand is just way too close to Don Mills. I'd totally axe Ferrand, but keeping Wynford would be fine. Even Bermondsey I can see justification to keep, even though it's not super far from Vic Park. Pharmacy is pretty close to Vic Park too, but it is a major street so I accept it. Lebovic seems like a minor street, but I guess it serves Eglinton Town Centre. Birchmount is important, of course it should stay. But Ionview seems useless. I'd totally get rid of it. On the other end, I'd also keep Leslie even though it's not close to anything, just because it's not close to any other stops. I'd just build it properly so it is separated properly.

So ultimately, I'd just get rid of Ferrand, Ionview and possibly Lebovic.

Definitely. By having Ferrand in there, it doesn't allow for the pocket/short-turn track that should be at Don Mills, not at bloody Laird. Don Mills, with the 25 and 54 buses dumping their passengers there, needs the full service capacity.

I'm perfectly okay with Ionview, however, as that's before the tunnel portal to Kennedy Station, and there's no stop at Kennedy Road.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...estimate_time_for_transfers_on_crosstown.html

TTC, Metrolinx estimate time for transfers on Crosstown

Transit riders hate to transfer.

Eliminating a transfer at Kennedy Station was one of the key justifications for a city council decision to build a $3 billion, three-stop subway extension in Scarborough rather than an LRT.

But it turns out that transfer would have been relatively quick compared to what’s coming at other stops on Toronto’s new transit map.

The Kennedy connection was expected to take riders 40 seconds on average in the morning peak, according to Metrolinx. The estimate doesn’t include time spent waiting for trains.

That transfer at Kennedy would have been relatively short compared to estimates for the interchange stations on the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT.

While Metrolinx and the TTC have different numbers, both suggest it will take longer to move between subway and LRT at Eglinton West and Eglinton Station.

Metrolinx, which uses computer modeling to come up with its estimates, projects that the transfer between LRT and subway at Eglinton Station, will average 1 minute, 45 seconds. At Eglinton West, it will be about 3.5 minutes.

Those times — again, the product of computer simulations — are based on ridership projections for the peak hour of the morning commute.

While the TTC transfer times are longer, they are not directly comparable to the Metrolinx projections, stressed TTC head of engineering Susan Reed Tanaka.

Unlike Metrolinx, the TTC calculates its transfer times using the Ontario Building Code guidelines for rapid transit stations. Those estimates of walking times are far more conservative and don’t necessarily reflect the average rider’s walking speeds, she said.

“(The Ontario Building Code is) not really looking at an average walking time. They’re looking at a reasonable worst case. That would include children and seniors and people who would have difficulty walking or moving in a crowd. The reality is I might be able to walk twice as fast as those speeds,” said Reed Tanaka.

Using those guidelines, the TTC projects a 5-minute, 25-second transfer between subway and LRT at Eglinton West, where the LRT platform will be one level below the subway.

At Yonge and Eglinton, where riders will have to walk two levels between the LRT and the Yonge subway, the TTC is projecting 2.5 minutes.

Those transfer times are based on walking from the middle of one platform to the middle of the other.

The same guidelines put the average transfer at Bloor-Yonge Station at 3 minutes, 10 seconds.

The interchange stations are one of the most challenging design problems on the Crosstown. In addition to keeping the connections fast and simple, the LRT has to be built while the subway stations are still mostly functioning.

The design for the Eglinton West station is 30 per cent complete. Eglinton Station at Yonge is only 5 per cent complete. The link for the Crosstown at Kennedy Station hasn’t even got that far, said Reed Tanaka.

The designs could still change, in which case they would go back to the TTC board for approval, she said.

The preliminary Eglinton Station design actually proposes shifting the existing subway platform about 70 metres to the north of its current location so that it runs directly under the road rather than south of Eglinton Ave. That would allow for LRT connecting stairs to be built at the north and south ends of the platform. If the station were to stay where it is, all riders would have to connect via the north end of the platform, creating a bottleneck.

To move the subway platform, the TTC will have to eliminate a pocket track — a section used to store work trains at the north end of the station. Those can be stored elsewhere, said Reed Tanaka.

Dispersing crowds is a consideration in both station designs. Transit officials are estimating 10,000 people an hour will transfer in the peak hour at Eglinton Station by 2051; 6,800 at Eglinton West.

The Eglinton-Yonge station is estimated to involve about 50 weekend closures.

Station construction isn’t scheduled until around 2016, said Metrolinx spokesman Jamie Robinson.

This may not be as bad as it seems. I think they're including off peak times in this average. I find it really hard to believe that transfers will take 3.5 minutes at Eglinton-Yonge Station during peak times, when trains are running ~90 seconds apart.

I believe the plan is to have street level - upper mezzanine level - subway level - lower mezzanine level - LRT level.

I wonder if that lower mezzanine level is needed. They need to add access from LRT level to upper mezzanin level to bypass the subway level. Then they could make the LRT to subway transfer more efficient.

People arriving at Eglinton or Eglinton West currently are arriving on buses too, which is in itself a transfer.

This may not be as bad as it seems. I think they're including off peak times in this average. I find it really hard to believe that transfers will take 3.5 minutes at Eglinton-Yonge Station during peak times, when trains are running ~90 seconds apart.

"The estimate doesn’t include time spent waiting for trains."

That's just walking time.

Back