News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We'll probably come to appreciate it once this station eventually moves 150,000+ people per day. The last thing we want is a repeat of the Bloor-Yonge nightmare.

When it comes to transfers, my least favourite station would be Sheppard-Yonge. To get from the sheppard line to the bus terminal, you have to
- go down to the YUS platform
- walk to the stairs at the north end of the YUS platform
- go up those stairs
- walk through a long and banal corridor with several more stairs

One problem is that Eglinton Station has a shallow depth. If the station was deep, like Montréal's interchange stations, that would have been an option. With it being so shallow, the surrounding buildings' foundations are in the way.

On the other hand, with a deep station it's not fun if you have climb all the way from the platform to the surface level. Try Don Mills station.

When it comes to transfers, my least favourite station would be Sheppard-Yonge. To get from the sheppard line to the bus terminal, you have to
- go down to the YUS platform
- walk to the stairs at the north end of the YUS platform
- go up those stairs
- walk through a long and banal corridor with several more stairs

Try doing that in a wheelchair! I have!

- elevator from bus terminal to long corridor.
- elevator from corridor to mezzanine
- up ramp to inactive Sheppard Line platform
- down elevator to Yonge platform.
- navigate narrow and crowded Yonge platform
- up elevator to active Sheppard platform

Horrible - even getting from the bus terminal to the Yonge trains is a PITA if you need to use elevators.

Last edited:
Try doing that in a wheelchair! I have!

- elevator from bus terminal to long corridor.
- elevator from corridor to mezzanine
- up ramp to inactive Sheppard Line platform
- down elevator to Yonge platform.
- navigate narrow and crowded Yonge platform
- up elevator to active Sheppard platform

Horrible - even getting from the bus terminal to the Yonge trains is a PITA if you need to use elevators.

There's also the option of going up to the west concourse from the inactive Sheppard Line platform and back down to the active Sheppard platform. Just as circuitous but less crowded.

Lebovic is the stop that makes the least sense IMO.

There are a lot of stores in Eglinton Town Centre and Eglinton Corners (RioCan & Smart!Centres respectively) on Lebovic specifically, and the Warden to Victoria Park area in general. Businesses most likely had some say in the decision.

They can do whatever they want so long as the Cinnabon stays to grace the new station with its incense.

+1 I love walking through Eglinton and Union Stations with the Cinnabon incense

They'll be always someone who will complain that the baking aroma is air pollution and should be closed down. Yet they sell baking smells as air fresheners or deodorizers for just that reason.

They'll be always someone who will complain that the baking aroma is air pollution and should be closed down. Yet they sell baking smells as air fresheners or deodorizers for just that reason.

I posed a question to Metrolinx about why the south side alignment was not used through Leslie. I suggested moving the portal to the south side, building a separate West Don River bridge, building a south side at-grade Leslie Station, building twin tunnels through CPR embankment, reconfiguring the Celestica loop ramp, and moving the underground crossover and storage tracks from Laird to between CPR and Don Mills.

I received an e-mail over three weeks ago that stated that; "a representative will contact you (me) directly". How long before I can expect a response?

Did anyone else make any similar comments at the last Station Design Meeting, and did anyone actually get a response?

In the summer, I asked about the study of the elevated Eglinton option that was referenced in articles three years ago (http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/20/elevated_transit_among_metrolinxs_alternatives.html). I recieved a comment back that referred to a TTC study of the SRT route. I replied back that my question was not answered. It has been over two months and nobody has got back to me.

I posed a question to Metrolinx about why the south side alignment was not used through Leslie. I suggested moving the portal to the south side, building a separate West Don River bridge, building a south side at-grade Leslie Station, building twin tunnels through CPR embankment, reconfiguring the Celestica loop ramp, and moving the underground crossover and storage tracks from Laird to between CPR and Don Mills.

I received an e-mail over three weeks ago that stated that; "a representative will contact you (me) directly". How long before I can expect a response?

Did anyone else make any similar comments at the last Station Design Meeting, and did anyone actually get a response?

In the summer, I asked about the study of the elevated Eglinton option that was referenced in articles three years ago (http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2010/12/20/elevated_transit_among_metrolinxs_alternatives.html). I recieved a comment back that referred to a TTC study of the SRT route. I replied back that my question was not answered. It has been over two months and nobody has got back to me.

Changes were made to the Mt. Dennis area, after discussions at meetings concerning the original design of the Weston Road and Black Creek area.

Seems that changes were made to skip the Leslie stop entirely and go underground to past Don Mills. However, NIMBYs in the area wanted a stop at Leslie. So they got their stop back, however it was back to original design of having the right-of-way down the middle of Eglinton Avenue. Now people (me included) are writing, talking, etc. with MetroLinx and others to look at alternatives to the down the middle design. All I can say is "keep talking and writing".

My current beef is that there is no plans (really) to allow for an easy transfer with any type of Don Mills Relief Line. In whatever form it would take, heavy rail or light rail. Don't want a "Bloor-Yonge" type of interchange or transfer at Don Mills. There is space around the Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road intersection (parking lots galore) for the Crosstown (and later Don Mills) to veer away from the roadways (under the parking lots) to create Montréal Metro types of transfer stations. At minimum make it more like a St. George Station, but preferably more like the Lionel-Groulx station in Montréal.

Lionel-groulx-montreal-metro.jpg

Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg

Last edited:
Changes were made to the Mt. Dennis area, after discussions at meetings concerning the original design of the Weston Road and Black Creek area.

Seems that changes were made to skip the Leslie stop entirely and go underground to past Don Mills. However, NIMBYs in the area wanted a stop at Leslie. So they got their stop back, however it was back to original design of having the right-of-way down the middle of Eglinton Avenue. Now people (me included) are writing, talking, etc. with MetroLinx and others to look at alternatives to the down the middle design. All I can say is "keep talking and writing".

My current beef is that there is no plans (really) to allow for an easy transfer with any type of Don Mills Relief Line. In whatever form it would take, heavy rail or light rail. Don't want a "Bloor-Yonge" type of interchange or transfer at Don Mills. There is space around the Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road intersection (parking lots galore) for the Crosstown (and later Don Mills) to veer away from the roadways (under the parking lots) to create Montréal Metro types of transfer stations. At minimum make it more like a St. George Station, but preferably more like the Lionel-Groulx station in Montréal.

Lionel-groulx-montreal-metro.jpg

Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg

Exactly!!!

A Lionel-Groulx type cross-platform interchange station would be ideal for Don Mills and Eglinton and could work if Eglinton is LRT and Don Mills is subway or if both are the same.

The lines could align (roughly) like this:

Eglinton-Don Mills Interchange.jpg

Attachments

• Eglinton-Don Mills Interchange.jpg
    Eglinton-Don Mills Interchange.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 334
That wouldn't work because the tunnels would cross into each other at the same level, but even of it could I think it is a bit much and the extra wear and time from having the curved would cancel out the benefits from an easier transfer.

That wouldn't work because the tunnels would cross into each other at the same level, but even of it could I think it is a bit much and the extra wear and time from having the curved would cancel out the benefits from an easier transfer.

Why would the cross into each other? They'll be crossing over or under. A light rail vehicle needs 150m for a curve radius and 5% for inclines vs. 300m curve radius and 3.5% grade inclines for heavy rail. After the infrastructure tunnels and station box are excavated, constructed, and filled in, they can then do as they wish. New buildings (or return to using parking lots again) would hide the existence of any underground passages from sight.

schematic.jpg

Last edited:
Why would the cross into each other? They'll be crossing over or under. After the infrastructure tunnels and station box are excavated, constructed, and filled in, they can then do as they wish. New buildings (or return to using parking lots again) would hide the existence of any underground passages from sight.

I don't think there is enough distance for the tunnels to rise or fall before they need to cross over or under each other, it may be possible somehow but at first glance it seems not doable.

Back