News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't think there is enough distance for the tunnels to rise or fall before they need to cross over or under each other, it may be possible somehow but at first glance it seems not doable.
Both stations in Montreal with this set-up quickly cross each other. The sketch shown isn't quite right, but there's nothing wrong with the concept.

It would be interesting to see this configuration, especially with a subway and an LRT (I am unsure of there is any precedence for this, especially with different train types).

Another way to get a side-by-side transfer would be to change the DRL approach to Eglinton. Most routes have it going through Flemingdon and up Don Mills. If you just cut diagonally across Thorncliffe and avoid Flemingdon the line would be pretty easy to lead into a cross-platform interchange station..
buetlsf.png

Another way to get a side-by-side transfer would be to change the DRL approach to Eglinton. Most routes have it going through Flemingdon and up Don Mills. If you just cut diagonally across Thorncliffe and avoid Flemingdon the line would be pretty easy to lead into a cross-platform interchange station..
buetlsf.png

How exactly would you build Don mills up to Sheppard or finch. Instead with this configuration it would appear that the line would never go north of Eglinton.

How exactly would you build Don mills up to Sheppard or finch. Instead with this configuration it would appear that the line would never go north of Eglinton.
You'd just curve north and head up Wynford Drive.

It would be a good idea, except that it's completely missed most of the population density at Flemingdon Park.

Ignoring the entire population of Flemingdon Park (yet again) for a simpler transfer at Eglinton/Don Mills? I can't see how that would go down well.

It would be a good idea, except that it's completely missed most of the population density at Flemingdon Park.

The TTC study suggested that the Flemingdon Park station would be very low ridership, I think the lowest ridership station between Don Mills and Dundas West. Bypassing it would save quite a bit of money, speed up trips from north of Eglinton and allow a better interchange at Don Mills.

And the people in Flemingdon would only be a couple minutes away from Thorncliffe or Don Mills station by bus, so they would still benefit quite a bit.

Ignoring the entire population of Flemingdon Park (yet again) for a simpler transfer at Eglinton/Don Mills? I can't see how that would go down well.

They wouldn't be 'ignored,' they'd be within a 5-10m bus ride of two rapid transit stations. Compared to the status quo of having to bus to Y/Eg or Pape that's a huge improvement.

Serving Flemingdon directly would add hundreds of millions to the cost of the project. If you divide that over the small number of riders who would benefit from it, it's an extremely expensive proposition.

Having reviewed the DRTES, Flemingdon Station is expected to attract 500 boardings and 100 exits in AM peak hour. That gives it less than half the ridership of the next smallest station (Thorncliffe) and would make it one of the least well used stations on the TTC. I personally don't think it's worth adding capital costs (longer route, more stations, more difficult to run at grade) and slowing down other trips (worse transfer, slower speed) to serve such a small rider base. These people would still befit hugely from Don Mills and Thorncliffe stations being short bus rides away, to.

Last edited:
I don't think there is enough distance for the tunnels to rise or fall before they need to cross over or under each other, it may be possible somehow but at first glance it seems not doable.

The Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail can handle curves and inclines better than heavy rail. Look at the design of the Mt. Dennis station and the trackwork from Keele Street to Weston Road. It will curve up out of the portal east of Black Creek under Eglinton Avenue West, climbs over a bridge over Black Creek Drive, and then levels out into the hill for the station. Couldn't do that well with heavy rail.

Heavy rail curves (IE. the curve between Museum and St. George) have to be wider, but the Don Mills line would not have to go 90° like the University line, more like 45° to meet up with the Eglinton Crosstown. The Crosstown could have the steeper inclines (and curves) built now ahead of the time needed with the Don Mills line starts construction. Assuming Don Mills will be heavy rail, let it be roughed in as such, but with tunnel dimensions to handle both light rail and heavy rail.

Last edited:

Sort of like spending $3 billion to eliminate an escalator at Kennedy?

If ever. Really I think the DRL should end at Eglinton and LRT run north of there. (on both sides, Don mills LRT on one end and Jane LRT on the other)

If ever. Really I think the DRL should end at Eglinton and LRT run north of there. (on both sides, Don mills LRT on one end and Jane LRT on the other)

This is an incredibly bad idea, even more so than the Sheppard East LRT. Putting two incompatible types of rail on one corridor is poor planning. Even more so on Don Mills, because the most congested section of the DVP is between Eglinton and 401, and you have got to relieve that section.

Back