News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What a wasted opportunity to build a Spanish solution at Eglinton station.

At Eglinton they can extend/move the platform north relatively inexpensively because the space has already been excavated and is currently used for the pocket track. The Spanish solution would require excavating on either side of the tunnels. That just is not financially feasible. You would suddenly go from $100-200 million to $1 billion.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already (recently) but do we have any reasonable idea as to when the Eglinton line can potentially be extended westward to the Airport and eastward past Kennedy? I wish this was happening all at once so we would have a full-fledged cross-city train line right from the start......

I am not sure what the most recent plans are (i.e. since the Scarborough Subway discussions were started), but with the Transit City plan (when the ECLRT and SRT/LRT were going to be built), there would be no possibility of extending Eglinton farther east of Kennedy.

Which is a shame because it would be very useful for the Eglinton line to intersect with Lakeshore.

That is why I though ECLRT and SRT should be connected (since both are on west side of rail corridor) and B-D subway should be extended to Lakeshore East and maybe Kingston Road (since the tail tracks already go under the rail corridor).

Maybe some will say that B-D is already connected to Lakeshore FO at Main.

I am not sure what the most recent plans are (i.e. since the Scarborough Subway discussions were started), but with the Transit City plan (when the ECLRT and SRT/LRT were going to be built), there would be no possibility of extending Eglinton farther east of Kennedy.
With the Transit City plan there was nothing that precluded the future extension of the Danforth line east of Kennedy. The station box and tail tracks are already set up to allow for a future extension under Eglinton. Nothing in what was designed for the Eglinton Line and SRT conversion precluded that.

Indeed, the original plans (pg 14) had the Morningside LRT a walking transfer away on the other side of the rail line. Though, they were collinear, so presumably sanity would eventually prevail. I do remember an older plan where through-routing with the SRT and Morningside were made unnecessarily complicated/impossible, but it was fixed in this revision. Main issue with this plan is that you can't run both Eglinton/SRT through-routing as well as dedicated service on SRT, because that requires waiting on platforms on two different levels.

The current design, while not as neatly stacked, strongly preserves through-routing.

Last edited:
If Eglinton is ever extended east, I'd probably have it go along the same route as the Scarborough Malvern LRT:

east1.jpg

But I doubt it will happen for a very very long time.

why does everything have 2 stop at the scarborough/pickering townline? do these clowns not know that people in pickering have to drive WEST to mccowan stn or stc, and if their lucky to find parking and then take the ttc down town to where they work? if they maybe made the ttc even going as far to port union that would be better than nothing, lots of land there to make a parking. it moves people out of the city faster, the ppl in suburbs also take transit not just ppl in toronno

oh forgot to add, yeah we got the go station but guess waht? the go station is NOT a solution, it only goes down town to union, ppl dont only work down town, they work in malvern, scarborough, north york, etobicoke, willow dale, etc... places the GO does not take them

its that attitude which ruins our city. if i was a stintz or councellor, i would be concerned about what EVERYONE ELSE CARES and NOT MY SELF. THIS IS THE definition of a truee good councellor.

its that attitude which ruins our city. if i was a stintz or councellor, i would be concerned about what EVERYONE ELSE CARES and NOT MY SELF. THIS IS THE definition of a truee good councellor.

I think you missed the point....it is hardly a good election stance when asking for votes from people who, exclusively, live in Toronto to focus on making the commuting lives of people in Pickering (who don't have a vote in toronto) better.

At election the "our city" really changes to "our cities/towns"

why does everything have 2 stop at the scarborough/pickering townline? do these clowns not know that people in pickering have to drive WEST to mccowan stn or stc, and if their lucky to find parking and then take the ttc down town to where they work? if they maybe made the ttc even going as far to port union that would be better than nothing, lots of land there to make a parking. it moves people out of the city faster, the ppl in suburbs also take transit not just ppl in toronno

oh forgot to add, yeah we got the go station but guess waht? the go station is NOT a solution, it only goes down town to union, ppl dont only work down town, they work in malvern, scarborough, north york, etobicoke, willow dale, etc... places the GO does not take them

So you're saying that the Pickering folks shouldn't have to drive to STC station to go downtown, but GO is not a solution because some people don't work downtown?

Back