News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Pictures posted to the Transit Toronto Facebook page here. Text says photo credit to Chris Edwards.

343375525_1226122124687221_5841794871142033485_n.jpg
343336645_6035010649927582_570722188389487941_n.jpg

343346570_2184794845242708_4115270219137396534_n.jpg
I'm interested in that second picture, is that a pre-existing part of the station or was it added? I'm asking since I haven't been to Eglinton in years and I'm trying to figure out if those tiles are the original vitrolites or if the TTC went out of there way to get glossy tiles that match the originals.

I'm interested in that second picture, is that a pre-existing part of the station or was it added? I'm asking since I haven't been to Eglinton in years and I'm trying to figure out if those tiles are the original vitrolites or if the TTC went out of there way to get glossy tiles that match the originals.
It's a new extension of the existing station. The TTC retained the pocket track to the north of the station. If you look closely at the wall it is exposed concrete with the station tacked on (instead of sandblasted).

Waterloo's ION had a few station platforms broken up and re-poured ahead of opening as well. If I recall correctly, it's because the platform edges weren't the correct distance from the tracks. Different cause, similar result.
That correct as I shot some of those platforms. There was an reason for ION platform and have forget what it was.

As for Eglinton, some what surprised since they took their time building it. Don't recall seeing anything wrong regarding Sloane platforms when I had a close look at it last year and when work was started on it. Most likely something show up during testing of the LRV's or since I last visited it.

"Technically, concrete never stops curing. In fact, concrete gets stronger and stronger as time goes on. But, as far as we're concerned, to reach a practical strength, most industrial concrete mixes have a 28 day curing period."

From link.

"After 7 days, the concrete will have gained around three quarters of its compressive strength, but you should refrain from driving vehicles or heavy machinery over the surface until after the 28 day mark.

For domestic mixes – driveways, for example – you can expect the concrete to be set within 24-48 hours. But again, you should give it the full 28 days before using it to park the family car. You might think it’s strong enough after taking a test-stroll over it, but overloading your concrete before it’s fully cured could undo all the hard work you’ve put into its construction."

They should have jack-hammered that concrete platform within the first month... if they discover a problem.

Roman concrete is the strongest. The Pantheon's unreinforced concrete structure in Rome has stood as a monument to architecture and engineering for nearly 2,000 years. Also very expensive, so we will not use Roman concrete in Toronto.
pantheon_rome.jpg
From link.

It's a new extension of the existing station. The TTC retained the pocket track to the north of the station. If you look closely at the wall it is exposed concrete with the station tacked on (instead of sandblasted).
I kind of figured they were new since the individual tiles are much larger than the original vitorlites. It does make me hope that maybe one day they can replace the tiles on the rest of the original part of the Yonge line to restore it to its original look. At the very least the stations south of Bloor could really use a make over.

Not surprised at the incompetent CM of this debacle, but still extremely disappointed.

Whoevers responsible cannot be hired back for the next project
I’m reminded of the track extension to the Leslie Street Barns where the builder forgot to make tracks at the correct height and had to tear them up.

What sort of monkeys are we graduating from Canadian engineering schools? Even I know the mantra of measure twice, cut once.

How will this affect the current southern end of the platform? Will the train just stop very far away from the south end? The elevator’s proximity to the southern wall prohibits putting up another wall.
In the PM I like going to the southernmost end because it’s much less crowded than the northern part (and doesn’t require three pedestrian crossings to access)…
For the time being, the trains will stop well away from the south end, although they will likely put in some sort of temporary barrier.

More permanently, there will be walls built separating the tracks from the old platform, but maintain that space to the public because of the elevator and the southernmost stairwell. And to that end, they've already starting cutting holes into the platform edge where they will be cutting it back and installing the walls.

Dan

Very good ones, actually.

Installation isn't Design. The engineers aren't the ones building it wrong.
They are when they oversee the work in the first place.

Have shot down a few engineers over the year and I don't have the ring

Sigh. We should have just built a 28km long Toronto Rocket subway from Renforth/Eglinton to Kennedy, fully underground, using TR rolling stock, high level platforms and signal systems we're already familiar with. At a total distance of 28,000 meters, if we'd starting tunnel boring in 2014 at a rate of 20 meters per day or 7,300 meters per year (40-50 meters per day is a more usual peak) we'd likely be in service by now.

Last edited:
Sigh. We should have just built a 28km long Toronto Rocket subway from Renforth/Eglinton to Kennedy, fully underground, using TR rolling stock, high level platforms and signal systems we're already familiar with. At a total distance of 28,000 meters, if we'd starting tunnel boring in 2014 at a rate of 20 meters per day or 7,300 meters per year (40-50 meters per day is a more usual peak) we'd likely be in service by now.
Took 7 years to complete the TYSSE, roughly 9km

I’m reminded of the track extension to the Leslie Street Barns where the builder forgot to make tracks at the correct height and had to tear them up.

What sort of monkeys are we graduating from Canadian engineering schools? Even I know the mantra of measure twice, cut once.
In my type of work(installation of medical equipment, MRI, and Angio equipment especially) some engineers make so many stupid and costly designs choices that end up inflating the cost of a project, because in the end it's their signature that's stamped on those drawings, so it's basically liability.

Contractors have to follow the drawings because they could also face liability, if a massive issue arises.

Last edited:
Very good ones, actually.

Installation isn't Design. The engineers aren't the ones building it wrong.
this is solely on the shoulders of the construction management team.
they failed to properly coordinate this work properly and now we are on the hook both in time and money to replace this at a snails pace.
sometimes things dont line up but its their jobs to verify on site and make sure everything is communicated properly. obviously this was not done
and it only took until now to do something about it.

Back