News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Could be a LOT of stairs to climb.

Actually it's simpler. You're only going up and down, similiar to core servicing in a building.

With mezzanines and typical shallower stations, the route is more circuitous with at least 2 vertical movements compared to a single vertical movement. This makes it a lot easier for EMS and fire services to access the station.

It would be really advanteagous if the circulation building was more like an atrium in an office building or retail environment with direct opening to the sky above.

Another thing to consider is the use of high speed elevators as they have done in many othe rplaces around the world including the US where stations are much deeper.

Well, it's not as if we have sand and overburden right down to the core of the planet underneath us. The question is how deep is bedrock here? What is the cost of going down to it versus dealing with the overburden?

Geology in the Toronto area is different east-west then it is north-south.
East-west includes a whole bunch of different strata and elevational inconsistencies. It's a long way down to bedrock and it doesn't make sense.

There are several solutions for dealing with TO's geology. Larger TBM's can handle floating rocks much easier than smaller TBM's. This is something that was learned along the Sheppard line, another east-west corridor.

Thanks for the link.

Of interest:
Slide 15 - simple underground stations, no fare barriers?
Slide 18: Michigan Lefts!
Slide 21-25: Disappointed that the Richview Corridor goes to waste.
Slide 30: Looks like the Kodak Lands are being proposed for the carhouse.
Slide 41: There should be an entrance facing Spadina Road.

Really interesting stuff, with some deviation form TTC norms. Would still plan to visit an open house to ask specific questions.

Slide 36: Caledonia Station is actually at Westside Shopping Centre, west of the Barrie GO Rail or about 3 blocks west of Calendonia. Would have thought that the station would go under the railway with the west end at the shopping centre and the east end closer to Caledonia.

With those re-routed left turns, turning left should be quicker, since most of the time drivers are currently waiting for clear traffic before making a turn.

Last edited:
some info from the slides

eglintonlrt.jpg

The LRT will be designed so that the light rail vehicles are able to average 22
km/h on surface sections and 30 km/h in underground sections. (By
comparison, the existing subways average 30 km/h also.)

Pearson to Yonge-Eglinton: Existing bus - 70 min proposed LRT 47 minutes
Y-E to Kennedy 43 to 30 minutes
Keele to Brentcliffe Rd 48 to 19 minutes
Bathurst to Donmills - 31 to 17 minutes
Eg.W/Allen to E-Y station - 16 to 7 minutes

Surface stops spacing: 400-500m
Underground - 850 m

that single tunnel bore option is massive!

expect the leslie spit to grow quite a bit in the next years.

Hmm, I checked a couple though. Mount Pleasant to Bayview is about 1,100 metres and Bayview to Brentcliffe is 1,400 metres! I'm surprised there isn't at least one at Laird!

Good catch. I can sort of understand the mount Pleasant/Bayview spacing since there's not major street in between to put a stop at (these are expensive underground stops after all). But it's weird that they put the stop at Brentcliffe when Laird would have made much more sense. The spacing from Brentcliffe to Bayview makes sense though....there's just brush in between. A stop would not be worthwhile. I would increase the distance and put the stop at Laird.

picture.php

How are the 18-wheelers tractor-trailers or the double tractor-trailers to handle the U-turns? Do they have examples of how they can handle it?

Its funny how they worded it; "potentially less disruptive at the surface" so they don't really know if its going to be any better than cut and cover. :rolleyes:

are they comparing it to cut/cover or dual tunnel?

picture.php

How are the 18-wheelers tractor-trailers or the double tractor-trailers to handle the U-turns? Do they have examples of how they can handle it?

this is a question that came to my mind too. they should have used the ROW. it would be very scenic going through woods with a LRT. they'd also save on paving in between the tracks and all the road reconfigurations.

I am guessing that they will probably designate some routes for trucks, tractor-trailers, etc. They would done use cross routes and right turns to access their destination.

Not quite analogous, but Ottawa for example does not allow trucks on parkways. It has designated roads for all truck traffic. I could see Toronto doing something similar.

Back