News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That would work just as well, haha.

I just think that overall this line has the opportunity to take a lot of pressure off the Bloor-Danforth line. For example, rather than funnelling all of the MiWay buses into Kipling or Islington, I'd like to see some of them, especially some those coming off the new Transitway, run express from the 427 to Mt. Dennis via Eglinton. And once the Georgetown line is electrified, those passengers will have a faster route into downtown than either the MiWay > ECLRT > YUS or the MiWay > B-D > YUS options.

I'd even be tempted to say that Mt. Dennis is a logical near-permanent western terminus for the ECLRT, because it's a major hub, and that it may be better to build either BRT lanes or a dedicated at-grade BRT road through the Richview corridor instead of extending the LRT further west. Don't think of it as a western extension of the ECLRT, think of it as an eastern extension of the Mississauga Transitway.

Without a right-of-way, the "Express" buses, during rush hours, will hit bottlenecks westbound at Martin Grove and Scarlett Road, and eastbound at Martin Grove.

Without a right-of-way, the "Express" buses, during rush hours, will hit bottlenecks westbound at Martin Grove and Scarlett Road, and eastbound at Martin Grove.

Is the backup just at the intersections, or is it along the entire block? If it's just at the intersections, some queue jump lanes would probably work.

I think this is far too deep into Toronto territory for any Mississauga Transit buses to serve...

Is the backup just at the intersections, or is it along the entire block? If it's just at the intersections, some queue jump lanes would probably work.

The eastbound Eglinton gets congested to Scarlett Road from just about Plant World (east of Royal York). Eastbound Eglinton also gets congested to Martin Grove from the 427 because the lanes get narrowed down to two lanes from four. Westbound Eglinton gets filled from Martin Grove from Kipling because it seems everyone is heading either to the airport or the 401.

That would work just as well, haha.

I just think that overall this line has the opportunity to take a lot of pressure off the Bloor-Danforth line. For example, rather than funnelling all of the MiWay buses into Kipling or Islington, I'd like to see some of them, especially some those coming off the new Transitway, run express from the 427 to Mt. Dennis via Eglinton. And once the Georgetown line is electrified, those passengers will have a faster route into downtown than either the MiWay > ECLRT > YUS or the MiWay > B-D > YUS options.

I'd even be tempted to say that Mt. Dennis is a logical near-permanent western terminus for the ECLRT, because it's a major hub, and that it may be better to build either BRT lanes or a dedicated at-grade BRT road through the Richview corridor instead of extending the LRT further west. Don't think of it as a western extension of the ECLRT, think of it as an eastern extension of the Mississauga Transitway.

Taking MT routes to Mt. Dennis/Jane station is a huge waste of money and most of all, Riders Time. You are taking riders to some place they have no need to go in the first place. Then you are forcing them to pay a higher fare to use GO when TTC is fine as well what they can afford to pay.

Given the current low ridership going into Mississauga by TTC, MT will see a blood bath for this idea and who going to pay for it??. There is no density along Eglinton to support service that will be needed to support these extra routes.

Again, everyone thinks riders want to go to the city core, when in fact, its all over the place and they are forced to travel out of their way because of the current setup.

Someone tell me why there is 15 bus bays for the Terminal??? Given what changes in route structure may happen, 15 is over kill.

The idea of taking Jane and Weston Rd buses to this terminal is totally off the wall and it will chase riders away due to the doubling of their travel time.

I disagree that Pape should be the connection point for the BD since it is cheaper to build to Coxwell from Don Mills Rd.

I still see this DRL as an S-Bahn using double deck trains like this found in Vienna. Its a Stadler KISS 6 unit built in 2011. It can be someone else model.

Note: It can come in various lengthen.
8257277354_806d459ef8_b.jpg

I think the concept of building the DRL as a S-Bahn style service with double deck overhead powered EMUs is a good idea for many reasons, but is unlikely to happen due to an even larger list of reasons.

S-Bahn style services are used around the world, usually as a second network laid over an existing subway, as a hybrid commuter rail/subway system. Having ridden the Paris RER lines, most of my experience comes from them.

Building the DRL as an S-Bahn would allow for many routing options on the main rail lines, especially in the western end of the line outside the core. Based on the idea of the DRL ending at Bloor, an S-Bahn could continue outwards fulfilling some of the promises of frequent all day GO service, and on the lines that are scheduled to be electrified first. The line could also run to the airport, similar to the Paris RER. Assuming the UPX continues to run, this would add a second tier of service to the airport, with more stops along the rail corridor and then into the downtown, silencing many of the criticisms of the current UPX scheme. The large trains would have capacity for years to come, and would relieve existing GO lines and Union Station. Compared to a subway, it would provide equivalent service along the proposed route, with branches out to the Milton, Kitchener and Airport as far as is needed. Eventually, when the GO system is fully electrified, it would provide another option for commuters, and Bloor would be a major hub.

The problems start with who's going to build it. The TTC wouldn't want to have to build a completely new type of system, complete with another set of trains, that would appear to be serving areas outside of the city. Metrolinx has the DRL in their Big Move plans, but it's another new direction for them as well, and might not mesh well with their existing system initially. GO seems reluctant to run anything other then locomotive hauled trains. It would also be more expensive to start, but I think latent demand would quickly make it worthwhile.

Overall, brilliant idea, but... government.

Someone tell me why there is 15 bus bays for the Terminal??? Given what changes in route structure may happen, 15 is over kill.

Right now they're planning to run the 32, 35, 35E, 71, 89 (both directions), 161, 168, 171, and two new routes called 19 Jane South and 170 Emmett. Add in space for Wheel Trans and the TTC consumes most of the 15 bays right there. No harm in having a couple of spares for future changes.

Copied this from the PDF:
attachment.php

There are two hubs for the bus bays. The smaller east hub could be a temporary hub until the LRT is extended westward. Also, they look like they will be built to handle the longer articulated buses.

Last edited:
Maybe the east hub is for mississauga transit. How big is the land that the bus bays the drop off zone and the Kodak building number 9 take up? Looks like you could fit a fair bit of residential condominiums in that area which would have access to both the GO and TTC if the line went one station farther to Jane.

Taking MT routes to Mt. Dennis/Jane station is a huge waste of money and most of all, Riders Time. You are taking riders to some place they have no need to go in the first place. Then you are forcing them to pay a higher fare to use GO when TTC is fine as well what they can afford to pay.

Most MT riders aren't destined for Islington station and surroundings either. What's the sense of funnelling them into that spot?

And no one is forcing them to take GO. They'd have the option of GO or the Eglinton LRT.

Again, everyone thinks riders want to go to the city core, when in fact, its all over the place and they are forced to travel out of their way because of the current setup.

At least giving MT riders multiple options for which TTC terminal they want to get dropped off at will cater to more non-downtown, as well as downtown-bound trip patterns.

I think this is far too deep into Toronto territory for any Mississauga Transit buses to serve...

It's 1km shorter running from Renforth to Mt. Dennis via Eglinton than it is running via 427 & Dundas/Bloor to Islington.

If the whole thing is off the road and they can bunch 3 LRTs together that should be the equivalent of 5 subway cars, which is probably more than enough for this line.

If the whole thing is off the road and they can bunch 3 LRTs together that should be the equivalent of 5 subway cars, which is probably more than enough for this line.

I'd agree with that, although the surface stations may have to be expanded later (at the east end of the line). Or are you assuming that the east end gets tunnelled/elevated as well?

Ottawa is doing it right IMO. They're building the 3 downtown stations with 120m platforms, and all surface stations with 90m platforms, with room to easily expand to 120m.

Back