News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

TORONTO| The Worldwide Highrise and Skyscraper Construction Leader!!
--not really the leader, what about Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore,Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Chongqing, New York, ...
--but still TO is doing very well

>> as you said, they are building more than most! The following list seems to agree (I'm a bit surprised actually):
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/
1z6qmtk.png

Last edited:
speaking of Toronto being a high-rise leader. i happened to see a Metro Wednesday newspaper, and it said Toronto had the 2nd most high-rises in North America (of course, the source was Emporis)... I hate how misinformed people are, and how misinterpreted these things are!

Actually, Toronto does, in fact have the second largest number of high-rises in it's metro area after New York and has for quite some time.

Actually, Toronto does, in fact have the second largest number of high-rises in it's metro area after New York and has for quite some time.

i'll have to double check that,
I'll consider Toronto does have the 2nd most high-rises in the metro area in North America, a huge chunk of these are out in the suburbs, not in the downtown... so regular people don't be thinking we have better a better skyline than chicago or a denser city!..

--not really the leader, what about Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore,Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Chongqing, New York, ...
--but still TO is doing very well

>> as you said, they are building more than most! The following list seems to agree (I'm a bit surprised actually):
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/
1z6qmtk.png

I don't know who's collecting stats on that site but that's totally incorrect. I can't believe Hong Kong has so few highrises. There are thousands of high rises, not just a few hundred. Even if you look at population vs highrises, it doesn't make sense.

They've tried to be as through as possible however, undoubtedly the counts for cities outside of North America are underestimated. Also remember that the cut off is 12 floors. Mexico City and San Paulo for instance easily have thousands of apartment buildings but a large portion of those would be shorter than 12s.

Mexico City;
vue-aerienne-du-centre-ville-de-mexico-par-temps-exceptionnellement-clair.jpg

San Paulo;
pictures-of-sao-paulo-712.jpg

Tokyo's and Hong Kong's totals are more than likely in line with Toronto's if not higher (although I doubt any city can challenge New York's supremacy). But the mere fact that Toronto is in the same range as those cities should be impressive enough regardless of our actual rank.

Also the numbers for Toronto only includes highrises in the city proper (North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough). If you were to include the GTA I'm sure we're pushing 2,500.

I don't know who's collecting stats on that site but that's totally incorrect. I can't believe Hong Kong has so few highrises. There are thousands of high rises, not just a few hundred. Even if you look at population vs highrises, it doesn't make sense.

I have been to Shanghai and Hong Kong. There is NO way these two cities have fewer highrises than Toronto. Completely impossible. The underestimation in Asian cities is shocking in this list. Shanghai's population is 23M, not 13M, and almost every single person lives in apartments as there is no such things as single family house outside the countryside. If you have ever driven on Shanghai's highways, you won't be surprised to know it has twice the highrises of Toronto.

Additionally, 1188 buildings and 1183 highrises, so there are 5 buildings shorter than 12 stories in the entire Shanghai? I myself have seen more than 500 5 story apartments with my own eyes.

What do they consider a highrise? About 10 stories or 20?

Also, Hong Kong is so much smaller in land area I imagine if you took Toronto's highrises and compacted them into Hong Kong's land mass they'd look something alike.

But I agree, Asia is probably underestimated. Although I have no problem believing in North America Toronto would be second to New York in high rise numbers. Toronto's suburbs are really unique in North America for their high rise development.

I have been to Shanghai and Hong Kong. There is NO way these two cities have fewer highrises than Toronto. Completely impossible. The underestimation in Asian cities is shocking in this list. Shanghai's population is 23M, not 13M, and almost every single person lives in apartments as there is no such things as single family house outside the countryside. If you have ever driven on Shanghai's highways, you won't be surprised to know it has twice the highrises of Toronto.

Additionally, 1188 buildings and 1183 highrises, so there are 5 buildings shorter than 12 stories in the entire Shanghai? I myself have seen more than 500 5 story apartments with my own eyes.

About the top-50 list from "Global Cities & Buildings Database" at skyscraperpage, they mention that:
"The building counts shown in the list don't necessarily represent a fully comprehensive total for each city or country. They represent the number tracked by our editors so far, which may not be compete for each city."

If different cities are very differently represented, then the ranking becomes somewhat meaningless.
Since skyscraperpage.com is a site in english, I can see why every single building in New York might get reported, while similar buildings in Baku or Chongqing might just be unknown.

About the top-50 list from "Global Cities & Buildings Database" at skyscraperpage, they mention that:
"The building counts shown in the list don't necessarily represent a fully comprehensive total for each city or country. They represent the number tracked by our editors so far, which may not be compete for each city."

If different cities are very differently represented, then the ranking becomes somewhat meaningless.
Since skyscraperpage.com is a site in english, I can see why every single building in New York might get reported, while similar buildings in Baku or Chongqing might just be unknown.

That explains everything. I think this list is only meaningful in US and Canada only. Honestly I can name half a dozen Chinese cities just off the top of my head which definitely have more highrises (12 story+) than Toronto. Shanghai and Beijing should be a different league from Toronto, probably not even on the same dimension because they are much much larger and much much denser. Some Chinese sources say there are over 5,000 buildings over 16 stories high in the city, and 13,000 over 8 stories high. It is probably more than Toronto will ever have. The listed 1100 something is pure joke. Even second tier Chinese cities such as Hangzhou and Nanjing have more skyscrapers than Toronto. The same goes for Japanese cities.

I also almost make me LMAO to see that Ottawa has more highrises than Guangzhou (and Beijing!). Ottawa is probably less than 10% the size of Guangzhou if you have visited both. China's fourth largest city has 8 subway lines for heaven's sake, something Toronto and Montreal combined can't match. Does anyone with reasonable intelligence would believe it has fewer taller buildings than Ottawa?? The ignorance about Asian cities is appaling. So the Capital of China, with a population of 18M, has 300 something buildings over 12 stories. Humm, that makes sense.

I can only imagine who ever came up with such a list never set a foot in any Asian city, otherwise he or she wouldn't humiliate him/herself in publishing it.

Admittedly Toronto is doing well compared with American cities, however, it is a mid sized city at best when you consider real huge cities such as Shanghai and Tokyo, and it is not really "leading" anything globally when it comes to highrise construction.

Last edited:
No need to take it so personally kkgg7. I don't think anyone doubts Hong Kong's skyscraper supremacy over Toronto lol. If there's a similar site in Chinese I'm sure you'd find China overrepresented and North America underrepresented.

No need to take it so personally kkgg7. I don't think anyone doubts Hong Kong's skyscraper supremacy over Toronto lol. If there's a similar site in Chinese I'm sure you'd find China overrepresented and North America underrepresented.

LOL, Yes it's amusing that KKgg7 is so offended that people here are evidently too self-centred and arrogant about their city vis à vis the world... it is such a Toronto cliché, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Fortunately we have him/her around to keep us real.

Last edited:

Back