i guess your probably right.. i've only seen it in pictures recently so i dont have a good overall feel for it's current stage.

Just wait until it gets up in the 700-foot area, then it will definitely make it's impact, and show it's full "sexiness".

Shangri La is starting to make its impact felt quite dramatically as seen in this low quality pic taken from the Exhibition grounds just west of the transit loop today.
Skyline June 2011.jpg

Attachments

• Skyline June 2011.jpg
    Skyline June 2011.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 265
interesting article in the National Post.....

http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/06/03/shangri-la-aloft/

This tower is actually 66 storeys.....

Floors 18 to 49, Shangri-La’s “residences,” will each house nine units ranging from 818-square-foot one-bedroom to 1,856-sq.-ft. two-bedroom plus family room suites, while floors 50 to 64 will have six units each, known as “private estates,” that will range from 1,961-sq.-ft. two-bedroom plus family room and library to 4,808-sq.-ft., two-level, three-bedroom spaces. The tower will be topped with two two-level 6,700-sq.-ft. penthouses, for a total of 370 condos. (Available units range from about $1-million to $18.8-million.)

and

The hotel opening and first residential occupancies are scheduled for June 2012 and, with all 66 storeys covered in glass, Living Shangri-La is sure to standout in the Toronto skyline.

Interesting find yyzer ^^^
I wonder where the mechanical stuff goes, because i remember seeing a couple shangri-la renders a while back, and the roof is flat (and it doesn't look like there are more than 2 floors in that upper setback of the building)
okay, so we're 1 year away from a finished-looking product. a fair amount of time, but it still seems like a while just cause the Trump hotel is opening before the building is complete! i wish more were like that,

just slightly off topic....what's going on with the fountain on University and Queen??? Has not been functioning for at least two years now....
Its a shame since we don't have many water fountains in the city.....

just slightly off topic....what's going on with the fountain on University and Queen??? Has not been functioning for at least two years now.... Its a shame since we don't have many water fountains in the city.....

Adam Vaughn recently told me:
"Unfortunately the fountain has had significant structural damage for the past two years, resulting in water leaks into a TTC electrical chamber underground. It is for this reason that the fountain has not been operating.
I've just received updates from City staff as to the current status. An engineering firm has been working on plans required to rehabilitate the fountain. Work is scheduled to take place between mid-August and the end of October. In the meantime, Horticulture staff have put eight planters around the fountain to try and make it look a bit better and they will remain in place until the construction starts.

Looks like Shangri-La is going to almost entirely erase the Ritz from that view in the future.

LOL! i know! that kinda sucks, i mean, shangri-la is really really nice (probably a bit nicer than the Ritz), but it's always nice to have the Ritz in your view, just because of the slant and all.

EDIT: i've never noticed this before, but i was looking at the CN tower's upper main pod area, and noticed those slanted beam things. has that always been there? or is that for the new edge walk attraction?

Last edited:
LOL! i know! that kinda sucks, i mean, shangri-la is really really nice (probably a bit nicer than the Ritz), but it's always nice to have the Ritz in your view, just because of the slant and all.

EDIT: i've never noticed this before, but i was looking at the CN tower's upper main pod area, and noticed those slanted beam things. has that always been there? or is that for the new edge walk attraction?

They are for edgewalk.

Good eye! Didn't know it was up already.
Yeah Mike's view there is one of the best, but slowly as more buildings go up they're starting to block one another. It would of been nice to see how those two towers look side by side. Well, hopefully for him nothing goes up right beside his place.

Back