That's possisble I suppose, but I still attribute the change in approval due to the fact that it was becoming a reality at that point. The posters on here were just excited that there was actually something tangible after so long. We are all guilty of a sense of desperation when it comes to that empty lot.

It's like when you are not really a fan of a certain celebrity but when you suddenly find yourself in a room and that celebrity walks in, you get swept up with the others who are real fans. Despite yourself, you find a big smile on your face... and you don't even like her movies!!! LOL

Actually, I think that at first, everyone was disappointed. When the Bazis project folded, suddenly everyone got excited and started thinking about really belongs on the site. People thought that if there was a place for spectacle and sophistication, it was at the most prominent intersection in the city. Why not Jean Nouvel or some other world famous architect? It was completely understandable too, given the stunning towers under construction in Mississauga. Then people started to warm up to the GG design, with its flowing lines and unique podium. It's up there with Absolute and L-Tower as the boldest high-rise condo designs in all of Canada, though it is a distant third to those two.

Sexual innuendo? Every skyscraper on earth is a phallic symbol.

That is not exactly the truth. While there may be some symbols of fertility in Egyptian obelisks... Building tall and narrow is from necessity due to land costs versus density. If they were going for "Phallus" they would be round not square. Building tall and narrow is because land in a city is expensive and they want to maximise the land use. If men had doughnuts for genitals, we would still need to design buildings as tall boxes out of necessity. However, design features that resemble a woman's genitals is not from necessity. It is a design choice. I am not saying it is wrong... It's just a choice that is not for me.

Going to be fun watching this one go up. I'm not sure how the final product will look but it should definitely be the most interesting building of that high-rise cluster on Bloor.

You can "Boo" me all you want, but I was hoping this version of One Bloor got cancelled as well. I don't care for the design. The sad part is, when they first unveiled it so many others on here didn't like it either, but because everyone is so desperate to fill this void, they seem to have resigned their objections. The attitude has become... "Anything is better than nothing".

"Blech!"

So you are claiming to be the ultimate arbiter of taste around here then?

Look, there will never be consensus on any building. I like this design just fine, and all the more so for the context. If the finishings are high quality it will be a gorgeous and unique tower on the uptown skyline.

Still, it might be fun to put this to a survey?

I have to admit that the render Steveve posted upthread is pretty rockin'. It really is a beautiful, flowing design that will embrace that intersection and add some curves where they are desperately needed. My one caveat is that because this design's uniqueness is contained in the surface treatment rather than the structure itself it could be completely nullified by any kind of cheapening. Without that slinky dress it's just another box. When they start adding the balconies in 2 years or so I will have my fingers crossed.

So you are claiming to be the ultimate arbiter of taste around here then?

HUH???? Whaaaaaaat?????

Can you read? Where did I say YOU or anyone else has to hate it too? It was MY opinion. That's why I used language like "I was hoping..." and "I don't care for... The dead giveaway that I was talking for myself was the word

I.

You need to refine your personal boundaries and not fear other people with strong opinions. Their strong opinions can not change yours unless you let them and that would be your weakness at fault, not their strength.

Last edited:
I agree... I mean it's no Absolute World, but it's still sleek. And if they don't cheapen the cladding it could look very nice indeed.

Back