That can't be right - Unless something major has changed in the last while - this project has been shown as 70 stories on the Skyscraper Pages for quite a while at around 235m - I mean, Scotia Plaza is 274m And Aura is listed as 252m.

So I guess we have a new tallest residential building in Canada. (without a hotel) Might Aura now up the ante and add some more floors? (to maintained their advertised title)

The 218.55 metres comes directly from the city planner handling this application and represents the submiited height to the top of the mechanical penthouse. It's as official as they come.

hmm, maybe this wasn't the roof height - maybe the roof feature would add an extra 10/20m. so 238 - with 5 more stories 250/60 seems about right.

The 218.55 metres comes directly from the city planner handling this application and represents the submiited height to the top of the mechanical penthouse. It's as official as they come.

So...we're looking at what?, 233 m or so?

270m+ seems too huge for a 5 story increase... unless they change the design and implement much taller fins... 250m would be nice :)

Question for those out there with planning knowledge: Given that this site was previously approved for a tower of 282 metres, does Great Gulf, the purchaser of the land, have to re-apply if they wanted to build up to that height, or has the allowable height been permanently increased?

If it's the latter, perhaps the developer simply decided to increase the height of everyone's ceiling by a foot. Who knows why they'd do such a thing, but it would add ~20 metres to the tower.

ok here is the calmanns theory...

Great Gulf has the approval as per the previous developer, Bazis, to build as tall as 282 meters which was the approved height of the property which came from the city. When they purchased the property they had the option to move forward, with the original design. So what they are doing is merely a design change.

They can build to 282 meters, they may have charged a premium to the buyers with the promise of a specified ceiling height.

So your theory is 12 foot floors?

If One Bloor is indeed going to be 272m, that would be about 892 feet. Subtract about 32 feet for the roof element (at a minimum, it actually looks like more than that in the diagrams), and another 30 feet to account for the extra-height floors in the podium (again, at a minimum). That leaves 830 feet. Subtracting another 35 feet for the thickness of the floor slabs (70 x 6 inches each) leaves 795 feet. Divided by 70 results in an average floor-to-ceiling height of (at most) about 11 feet 4 inches, but likely under 11 feet, which includes the higher ceiling-height upper floors in the average as well. Does anybody know the planned floor-to-ceiling heights, and for which floors they apply? This might actually be reasonable.

Last edited:
.....results in an average floor-to-ceiling height of (at most) about 11 feet 4 inches, but likely under 11 feet, which includes the higher ceiling-height upper floors in the average as well. Does anybody know the planned floor-to-ceiling heights, and for which floors they apply? This might actually be reasonable.

I dont think its all that reasonable. ten foot floors are unusual in a condo but 11 1/2? not going to happen. The extra cost of materials would be huge and totally unjustifiable.

My best guess would be ten foot floors and a height of 230 m (given a few extras for podium and crown).

The most interesting and amusing part of your theory (considering no one else has noticed) is from what orifice did you extract the 282 metres. Bazis' approved design was 290.5 metres to the top of the fins. I guess love of height and memory don't go hand in hand.

Sorry for being harsh. I just hate when people make shit up and pass it along as fact.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2008/law1167.pdf

Last edited:
Interchange said, 10 meters shorter than the Bazis design. That means 280 meters given maestros memory refresher, and we are waiting for confirmation on this. Given interchanges very specific and connected post, why would he set us off on wild speculation unless the developer presented him with information which we would not have access to. We know for sure, that Bazis had approval to build 290 meters and if they wanted to great gulf could have just proceeded with the Bazis design, when they obtained the financing to purchase the land from underneath them.

So something hs changed, it could be a combination of roof element, ceiling height, poduim design. The one thing we know for sure, and that is the building is still 70 storeys.

Last edited:
Interchange is connected to the developers.. so my speculative post is just he may have information, which we do not have at this time. So if the Bazis proposal was 280 meters and the new great gulf development proposal is 10 meters shorter, what should I bethinking regarding the height here?

Here's a 1 Bloor scribble plunked into my (out of date) high angle render:

highangle1bloor.jpg

Back