2 August 2014
WVvW76V.jpg

6I013dZ.jpg

oPBuLbD.jpg

EUrjLpY.jpg

Good to see more office space outside the financial district. This and the Globe and Mail Centre are totally improving areas beyond the middle in a good way. Nice pics all!

Why would a tenant choose to lease space here rather than in the south core? The south core seems to have a lot of advantages over this location. Is it an issue of price?

My guess is it depends on the industry. Look at eOne, they are in the media and entertainment business, queen west makes a hell of a lot more sense then financial district/south core.

Why would a tenant choose to lease space here rather than in the south core? The south core seems to have a lot of advantages over this location. Is it an issue of price?

There are many businesses in the area including the one I work at. Southcore isn't a big draw for everyone.

Southcore isn't a big draw for everyone.

But the question is why? I would think that a business looking to lease a large amount of space would prefer the south core.

Possible reasons I can come up with are that some tenants need to lease a small amount of space, the space is perhaps cheaper, or that it's industry specific as mentioned above.

But the question is why? I would think that a business looking to lease a large amount of space would prefer the south core.

Possible reasons I can come up with are that some tenants need to lease a small amount of space, the space is perhaps cheaper, or that it's industry specific as mentioned above.

Software and media companies tend to cluster in the Entertainment District. The converted brick and beam warehouses provide wide open and flexible floor layouts that are conducive to the kind of collaboration often sought by the industry. They're also cheaper than AAA office space found in the core and closer to "hip" neighbourhoods, which appeals to the young creative types who populate these offices. Tenants of this project (e.g. Sapient, eOne) likely want to stay within the same area where the other software and media companies are clustered, but still enjoy the amenities of AAA office space.

Software and media companies tend to cluster in the Entertainment District. The converted brick and beam warehouses provide wide open and flexible floor layouts that are conducive to the kind of collaboration often sought by the industry. They're also cheaper than AAA office space found in the core and closer to "hip" neighbourhoods, which appeals to the young creative types who populate these offices. Tenants of this project (e.g. Sapient, eOne) likely want to stay within the same area where the other software and media companies are clustered, but still enjoy the amenities of AAA office space.

I agree with this. I imagine Southcore is very pricey. Southcore wouldn't attract small tech or marketing companies for that reason.

eOne Canada will be the lead tenant and they are involved in the film industry. With the Film Festival nearby, this is a perfect fit for media companies.

Back