Well, anyone who would describe the nicely-scaled Distillery homes as "massive" "huge point towers" "out of scale" "massive condos" "absolutely monstrous" "ridiculously out of scale towers" etc. as you have done is obviously phobic about height ... and good design.

You've been warned, US. Please learn to distinguish the difference between fact and opinion. Beauty is a manner of opinion. The appropriate scale of a building is subject to opinion. Just because you may think highly of yourself and your opinions, doesn't make your opinions facts. Otherwise, please keep expressing your opinions here and refrain from attacks on people who disagree with your opinions.

Well, anyone who would describe the nicely-scaled Distillery homes as "massive" "huge point towers" "out of scale" "massive condos" "absolutely monstrous" "ridiculously out of scale towers" etc. as you have done is obviously phobic about height ... and good design.

As I was saying...

All you've done is proven my point.

Ryerson welcomes $32.9 million investment

* * * Please do not reply to this email * * *

I am delighted to share some wonderful news with the Ryerson community. Yesterday afternoon The Honourable Tony Clement, federal Minister of Industry, and The Honourable George Smitherman, Deputy Premier and provincial Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, were on campus to announce a joint investment of $32.9 million in one-time capital funding to renew and expand the School of Image Arts building at 122 Bond Street. This is one of 28 infrastructure projects at post-secondary institutions throughout Ontario announced yesterday, funded by both levels of government.

The $16.45 million of federal funding for the Image Arts Building is part of the federal government's Knowledge Infrastructure Program to repair and expand research and educational facilities across the country. The federal funding is matched by $16.45 million from the provincial government to support Ryerson's long-term capital plan.

The Image Arts renewal project is a significant step forward in the University's growth as a centre for graduate studies, research and creative activity in the fields of new media, film and photography. The project will create a dramatically renovated and expanded building with new state-of-the-art facilities and additional student study space, and will position Ryerson as one of the major schools for new media, documentary media and cutting-edge film and photography research in North America. It will provide exceptional opportunities for our undergraduate and graduate students, for our faculty, and for collaboration with industry.

At the announcement yesterday Minister Smitherman, who is also Ryerson's MPP, said: "Today's investment in Ryerson University is one of many crucial investments being made in the post secondary sector. Supporting the development of facilities like the Image Arts Building will help unlock the skills and potential of future generations for the jobs of tomorrow."

"Our government's investment provides significant short-term economic stimulus in local communities throughout Ontario, while at the same time strengthening Canada's long term capacity for research and innovation," said Minister Clement.

Members of the Ryerson community will see construction beginning at 122 Bond Street over the next few weeks. PCL, the contractors who are overseeing the project, have just moved into the building. We will share more construction and other details as the project progresses.

Immediately following the infrastructure announcement Minister Smitherman walked down the street to the South Bond Building at 105 Bond for a celebration of Ryerson's leadership in green and sustainability initiatives. Many members of the Ryerson community and the "green" stakeholder community joined us. We were proud to announce that South Bond is the first university building in Ontario to be awarded LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Status. LEED certification is the internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.

At 105 Bond we also announced the launch this fall of the new Certificate in Sustainability at The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education. This is an interdisciplinary program that will give all learners the skills they need to contribute to the new "green" economy, and is a wonderful example of how the Ryerson community builds sustainability not just into our operations and buildings, but into our curriculum and everything we do.

Yesterday was a great day for Ryerson and I thank everyone in the community who has worked so hard to make all these projects such a huge success.

Sheldon Levy
President

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I go to school in 105 and it the worst planned most inefficient awful place to study in, the majority of students and almost all the faculty hate it and can't figure out how this qualifies for LEED Gold - its even been the focal point for projects in our classes , not to mention we nor the faculty have access to the "green roof" - (nothings ever been done with it - just concrete) and the biggest joke is this entire building as filled with plastic plants and the graduate school classroom has columns down the middle that make it so people cannot even see the profs!

My last year at Ryerson was when the Planning Dept. moved into 105 Bond. It was pretty sterile for the first few months. I haven't been in there this past school year but I could imagine not much has changed. But at least there are more than two windows, compared to when the Dept. was in the Library building.

I'm sorry but I go to school in 105 and it the worst planned most inefficient awful place to study in, the majority of students and almost all the faculty hate it and can't figure out how this qualifies for LEED Gold - its even been the focal point for projects in our classes , not to mention we nor the faculty have access to the "green roof" - (nothings ever been done with it - just concrete) and the biggest joke is this entire building as filled with plastic plants and the graduate school classroom has columns down the middle that make it so people cannot even see the profs!

Ummm... The building rocks. The green roof doesnt exist yet, thats why we have no access to it. RAPS and faculty are currently trying to get it built.

I think all of us students and faculty DO appreciate the building. As Marcus mentioned, our old building was complete garbage. The new one is much more friendly. The studio spaces are amazing, the new equipment beats the old stuff we had that was falling apart, the natural light makes the building feel better, and the student lounge is massive compared to the old space we had. We also have our own computer lab within the building, something which most programs do not have. Other students have to use the library or the lab in Kerr Hall.

Oh, and our building is accessible 24/7.

Test cladding is now up, and construction will begin in the next few weeks. Lake Devo has been drained and a fence has been put around it.

101_3866.jpg

101_3867.jpg

101_3868.jpg

I walked down the alleyway between the old business building and the image arts building and thought this would be an amazing pedestrian space. There is access to Dundas, Bond, Gould and Victoria from there. Some cafes and pubs there would liven it up and make it safer for students to use to get into and out of campus.

101_3865.jpg

Last edited:
Part of Ryerson's plan is to open up those small mews to allow exactly the kind of pedestrian experience you describe above. It's in a presentation, I just can't remember which one.

I still can't hate the existing building. It is what it is: an ex-brewing warehouse. And its Brutalist-tinged original adaptive reuse was clever and subtle, and expressive of educational function: the place truly evokes the nether world of dark rooms and photo labs and stuff.

But I'm not arguing against the possibility that, as it was, it had its day.

When was that mural painted on the old business building? I used that laneway almost daily going to and from 105 Bond up to a year ago.

Test cladding is now up

th_101_3866.jpg
th_101_3867.jpg
th_101_3868.jpg

those are some nice glass/spandrel panels (they would be outstanding looking if it is back lit too) ... I like them a lot

thanks for the update Tuscani01~

those are some nice glass/spandrel panels (they would be outstanding looking if it is back lit too) ... I like them a lot

thanks for the update Tuscani01~

Well Solaris, they are backlit. There are lights behind the cladding, and you can see the switch on the side of the wooden box that is supporting the cladding. My friend tried to flip the switch but the light didn't turn on. I guess its controlled from inside.

marcus_a_j, the mural was painted this year. That is the location of Ryerson's bike locker.

Back