News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Um my biggest critique around current events is that many people discount gang violence as not important.

In the 100s of young black men are being shot and killed and that has a huge negative effect on the community.

Thank you
As I said, it's not that it's not important, but fixating on it gives a skewed perspective of the actual risk if you are not connected to a gang. Of course, inter- and intra-gang violence is its own problem that requires specific policy actions to address, but it affects a small minority of the population of a city. It's not just shootings, either. Same goes for stabbings, etc...

Um my biggest critique around current events is that many people discount gang violence as not important.
It’s important, and that why gang violence investigations, deterrence and community outreach get such a big piece of the TPS budget.

My point is that law abiding Torontonians who don’t seek out drugs, prostitution or other crimes are highly unlikely to end up on the Toronto homicide charts. So, what I’d like to know as a factor in judging how safe this city is, is how many people, unknown to police are murdered in Toronto each year? Edit: I suspect it’s a low portion of total homicides annually.

Last edited:
Last year was 78 homicides, 5% would be about 4. I too doubt it is that low, but given the common script for reporting for many of these attacks/murders, a high proportion are crime or gang related.

Last year was 78 homicides, 5% would be about 4. I too doubt it is that low, but given the common script for reporting for many of these attacks/murders, a high proportion are crime or gang related.
I edited my original post, my point is I believe the number of homicides involving people not living a criminal life is low. I’d like TPS release those stats as an indication of how safe this city is to regular, non-criminal folk.

Supposedly if you get caught with drugs and a gun you will most likely be out on bail within a few days

Lets suppose that's true...............AND?

Putting aside that I think the War on Drugs has been a miserable failure w/o any merit whatsoever and would favour decriminalization, and/or legalization if the substance in question could be produced in way that made it only moderately harmful.

(the same standard applied to alcohol, predicated on responsible use)

Also putting aside that I don't own a gun, and indeed I do oppose private hand gun ownership, even of the legal variety.

These are people not yet convicted of a crime.

The should get bail unless there is proof that they are a serious physical threat to the community (or a particular person); or a flight risk.

You don't put people in jail before they've been convicted of a crime, except where necessity is evident.

When it comes to illegal possession of firearms, I'm not at all opposed to custodial (prison) sentences. Though I certainly think judges should have a range of options to reflect circumstance (a person who inherited a pistol from their grandpa and didn't register it is different from someone dealing in illegal firearms or with a criminal history of their use.)

But regardless, any sentence comes after a trial and conviction, not before.

Now if anyone has previously no-showed their trial date; demonstrated a high proclivity for violence; or has threatened a witness; then by all means, hold them w/o bail.

But the majority should be released pending trial.

PS, their release should be the same day ideally, and certainly not more than 2 days later.

The matter of arresting someone and holding them is a very serious matter.

Warmington: Every person charged with an offence should be presumed guilty until proven innocent. A crime is a crime.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms: Any person charged with an offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal.

Warmington: Screw the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It's extremely obvious SJWs came up with it.

Any open-minded Canadian: The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is what makes Canada a great country to live in. Warmington should move to Tulsa, OK and he would be much happier there.

Last edited:
Warmington has one job, say and write whatever it takes to sell newspaper subscriptions and to drive ad clicks.
Warmington: Biden is actually Kang from the Simpsons. It's just that the Simpsons writers chose the 1996 election instead of the 2020 election. Actually, Biden is Kodos. No, Biden is Kang. I don't exactly remember who Biden is because to me, all Rigellians look exactly the same: green, slimy cyclopic cephalopods.

Warmington: One of them must be Biden.

Toronto Sun: That's golden! This great revelation will help make us the #1 newspaper in Toronto.

Snopes (and anyone with a brain): FAKE NEWS Rigellians are completely fabricated by Simpsons writers for the purpose of entertainment, there is no definitive evidence of intelligent life from Rigel's star system yet (Rigel is a blue supergiant about 860 light-years from Sol with its life being too short to allow any intelligent life to develop, let alone green, slimy cyclopic cephalopods with reliable faster-than-light technology), and Biden is a human from Earth.

Last edited:
Warmington: Biden is actually Kang from the Simpsons. It's just that the Simpsons writers chose the 1996 election instead of the 2020 election. Actually, Biden is Kodos. No, Biden is Kang. I don't exactly remember who Biden is because to me, all Rigellians look exactly the same: green, slimy cyclopic cephalopods.

Warmington: One of them must be Biden.

Toronto Sun: That's golden! This great revelation will help make us the #1 newspaper in Toronto.

Snopes (and anyone with a brain): FAKE NEWS Rigellians are completely fabricated by Simpsons writers for the purpose of entertainment, there is no definitive evidence of intelligent life from Rigel's star system yet (Rigel is a blue supergiant about 860 light-years from Sol with its life being too short to allow any intelligent life to develop, let alone green, slimy cyclopic cephalopods with reliable faster-than-light technology), and Biden is a human from Earth.
What?

Lets suppose that's true...............AND?

Putting aside that I think the War on Drugs has been a miserable failure w/o any merit whatsoever and would favour decriminalization, and/or legalization if the substance in question could be produced in way that made it only moderately harmful.

(the same standard applied to alcohol, predicated on responsible use)

Also putting aside that I don't own a gun, and indeed I do oppose private hand gun ownership, even of the legal variety.

These are people not yet convicted of a crime.

The should get bail unless there is proof that they are a serious physical threat to the community (or a particular person); or a flight risk
Err, how can someone walking around with a gun NOT be a threat to the community?? 🤔

Warmington has one job, say and write whatever it takes to sell newspaper subscriptions and to drive ad clicks
Yeah, thats kinda of the job of all newspapers. How else do they make money and stay in business??
Oh wait, The TorStar forgot about that business model, thats why they went belly up and had to be rescued 😅

Err, how can someone walking around with a gun NOT be a threat to the community?? 🤔

You do realize that if you were charged with illegal possession of a firearm that the police would confiscate the weapon; so you would no longer have it.

Also, possession does not mean the person was ever carrying it; or ever made use of it.

There are different charges under the law, including possession, trafficking, improper storage, illegal/improper transport, and a long bevy of charges if you either fire a weapon or wave it about/threaten to.

Not all charges imply equally dangerous conduct.

Particularly when the weapon in question will no longer be the suspect's possession.

Also your complete shrug at the notion that putting people who have NOT been convicted of a crime in prison is deeply disturbing and far more dangerous to society than many people we have in jail/prison today.

Back