It's the holiday silly season with serious talk about further subway extensions for the TYSSE.

York Region and YRT still have to show serious commitment to running a serious network to connect to the subway. The service on Jane Street isn't bad by YRT standards -- 14 minute service during weekday peaks, every no worse than every 20 minutes midday, weekend day time and early evenings -- but there's no Viva Silver service yet, and most other YRT routes feeding the subway aren't very useful, especially outside of rush.

It's the holiday silly season with serious talk about further subway extensions for the TYSSE.

York Region and YRT still have to show serious commitment to running a serious network to connect to the subway. The service on Jane Street isn't bad by YRT standards -- 14 minute service during weekday peaks, every no worse than every 20 minutes midday, weekend day time and early evenings -- but there's no Viva Silver service yet, and most other YRT routes feeding the subway aren't very useful, especially outside of rush.

Two things I would like to see ASAP:

1) 24 hour service on Jane and Yonge (Routes 20 and 98/99). In Toronto, Blue Night service replaces subway service overnight, but no equivalent exists for subway service north of Steeles.
2) Replace Viva Pink by extending all Purple trips (or perhaps every other trip) to Finch. Only downside is that people at Unionville GO have a slightly longer walk to get to Viva. This also has the effect of building ridership/providing more frequent service on Yonge between RHC and Finch in anticipation of the Yonge extension (although I believe the City of Toronto/TTC might have something to say about more VIVA buses between Finch and Steeles).

Two things I would like to see ASAP:

1) 24 hour service on Jane and Yonge (Routes 20 and 98/99). In Toronto, Blue Night service replaces subway service overnight, but no equivalent exists for subway service north of Steeles.
2) Replace Viva Pink by extending all Purple trips (or perhaps every other trip) to Finch. Only downside is that people at Unionville GO have a slightly longer walk to get to Viva. This also has the effect of building ridership/providing more frequent service on Yonge between RHC and Finch in anticipation of the Yonge extension (although I believe the City of Toronto/TTC might have something to say about more VIVA buses between Finch and Steeles).

The Blue Night 335 Jane runs every 30 minutes. See link.
335map.gif

The Blue Night 320 Yonge runs every 15 minutes or better. See link.

320map.gif

It also means that if York Region wants a Line 1 extension along Yonge Street into Richmond Hill, they had better have a "Blue Night" service first.

The Blue Night 335 Jane runs every 30 minutes. See link.
335map.gif

The Blue Night 320 Yonge runs every 15 minutes or better. See link.

320map.gif

It also means that if York Region wants a Line 1 extension along Yonge Street into Richmond Hill, they had better have a "Blue Night" service first.

The thing is, YRT already runs almost 24-hour service on Yonge, such that you only need to run as few as 4 extra trips per direction (so 8 total) to route 98/99 and it will allow you to claim 24-hour service (with 30-45 minute frequency overnight). It's a simliar story for Jane.

Where exactly is the “open” space for an elevated guideway from VMC to Vaughan Mills?View attachment 168940View attachment 168941

Maybe not all the way to Wonderland or whatever York Region's vision is. But from Steeles to south of Rutherford there's pretty good 'open space' along the road. That being the weedy unopened roadway allowance and utility corridor, no different than what's expanded over when lanes are added to a thoroughfare or LRT put down the middle. And we're talking Jane through the outer suburbs, in an area of spread out large-scale single storey leased commercial and industrial properties. One would think an open-air solution would be the basis of any subway vision.

Also if one is to strictly rule out anything above grade the answer isn't necessarily to tunnel deep underground. Cut and cover is still a good option that has major benefits.

Am I missing something? Why can't we use Millway Avenue as the corridor for a TYSSE extension?

Or Jane Street for that matter.

Side note, but I didn't realize how much land was around Vaughan Mills. Not the mall itself necessarily, but all those plazas surrounding it between Fisherman's Way and Bass Pro Mill, Jane, and Rutherford. You could make a whole downtown full of condos there.

Jane Street in Vaughan is pretty wide, and is perfectly suitable for a BRT corridor in the median. To my knowledge, that's in the Viva Next plan, although I'm not sure about the timeline.

I can list about 15 subway expansion projects (in the Toronto proper / Mississauga / York Region) that would attract higher ridership and/or do more for improving the connectivity than the TYSSE-2 extension will.

On a elevated guideway in the 400 right-of-way and the parking lots. Maybe bulldozing a few of the single-story buildings along the way, for the stations.

E80kTyi.jpg

From link.

Your idea is great as usual, but, as I say IN EVERY THREAD, will the driving population of Vaughan support a elevated subway over the 400? Likely not

Am I missing something? Why can't we use Millway Avenue as the corridor for a TYSSE extension?

Am I missing something? Are you proposing taking over Millway Avenue for an open-air TYSSE extension? Tell that to the hundreds of business owners that front onto that street. And also consider that Millway does not run all the way to Vaughan Mills.

Disneyland Hong Kong has a two station heavy rail Disneyland Resort Line.

DRL_ga_map.png

See link.

Disneyland Paris has a RER rapid-transit train to the Marne la Vallée-Chessy rail station.
rer-to-disney.jpg

See link.

Disneyland in California is surrounded by parking garages, unfortunately. See link.

Because of the high cost of a heavy rail line extension, maybe Vaughan and York Region should consider a light rail Jane or Highway 400 line from either Black Creek Station or Vaughan Metropolitan Station up to the new hospital and Canada's Wonderland. Using York Region's fares or transfers, not TTC fares or transfers, keeping it entirely separate.

Last edited:

Back