It’s sad but I guess typically Toronto that a lot of UT posters advocate for all manner of fantasy transit routes without the slightest concern for weighing the benefits and the costs. Thankfully, the way this town operates nothing will actually get built.

I am definitely in agreement with you, after reading this thread.

Why not to Barrie? Trains every 2 minutes! Golleee!

In other parts of the world, they use what is termed a "tram-train". It is defined as "trams that run through from an urban tramway network to main-line railway lines which are shared with conventional trains. This combines the tram's flexibility and accessibility with a train's greater speed, and bridges the distance between main railway stations and a city centre." From link. Some tram-trains are dual mode diesel/electric, electric driven within urban areas, diesel out in the rural areas.

1280px-RBK_755_tram-train_approaching_Wolfhagen.JPG

Kassel RegioTram dual mode diesel/electric Alstom RegioCitadis approaching Wolfhagen using diesel power, on main-line railway

In other parts of the world, they use what is termed a "tram-train". It is defined as "trams that run through from an urban tramway network to main-line railway lines which are shared with conventional trains. This combines the tram's flexibility and accessibility with a train's greater speed, and bridges the distance between main railway stations and a city centre." From link. Some tram-trains are dual mode diesel/electric, electric driven within urban areas, diesel out in the rural areas.

I would love to see this kind of technology in the GTA. Sadly the Spadina leg doesn't end anywhere near a main-line, and the track gauges are different, so that would need to be changed first. Oh, and maybe split Line 1 near Spadina/Bloor or Union while we're at it.

Kassel RegioTram dual mode diesel/electric Alstom RegioCitadis approaching Wolfhagen using diesel power, on main-line railway

This seems like a technology GO could start using along the Barrie Line, possibly.

^For the Relief Line, with coupled 'trains' breaking off to different destinations along street running routes. Being standard gauge, it could be like Brussels et al in building it 'Metro' but running it LRT until such time as full metro needed, or interlining both on the same trunk.

Amazing what could be accomplished with intelligent route and corridor design.

The technology of choice is really the last thing that matters.

This seems like a technology GO could start using along the Barrie Line, possibly.
It would seem to me the most logical place in our system for “tram trains” would be the Milton line. If we could, somehow, a) get all day/two way service on that line and b) vehicles that could run on, both, the rail corridor and the HuLRT we could run service to Cooksville GO and then up to SQ1 loop then back to the rail corridor and back downtown.

Here's a video example of a tram-train.

The tram-train line runs from Mulhouse station to Thann. Siemens Avanto trains use the Mulhouse tramway network then the Thur Valley railway line.

This is getting for topic from the TYSSE.
Mmmm...just checking with the very first posts back in 2007, evidently not. The last few posts are at least are examining alternative approaches to achieving the same purpose without taking the insane approach of more subways to Kimbuktu. Subways were never meant to service distances that far, at least not subways the way Toronto runs them.

The real betrayal to this string would be to build one as touted. There's far better ways to service the corridor, and service the need. And the need is 'regional'.

Last edited:
Mmmm...just checking with the very first posts back in 2007, evidently not. The last few posts are at least are examining alternative approaches to achieving the same purpose without taking the insane approach of more subways to Kimbuktu. Subways were never meant to service distances that far, at least not subways the way Toronto runs them.

The real betrayal to this string would be to build one as touted. There's far better ways to service the corridor, and service the need. And the need is 'regional'.

I agree. And @pstogios, to you, this is not off-topic. I thought it was at first, but I soon realized, the TYSSE could have ended up not being a subway. Maybe, in the future, it will extend to Canada's Wonderland like @W. K. Lis suggested, elevated above the 400. We don't know what the future holds for TYSSE, if it will be extended, so that is why, we are off-topic. Understand now ?

I agree. And @pstogios, to you, this is not off-topic. I thought it was at first, but I soon realized, the TYSSE could have ended up not being a subway. Maybe, in the future, it will extend to Canada's Wonderland like @W. K. Lis suggested, elevated above the 400. We don't know what the future holds for TYSSE, if it will be extended, so that is why, we are off-topic. Understand now ?

The tangent to discussion of tram-trains and extension of the Relief Line were what was going off topic.

Back