News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Jarvis strikes me as a perfect place for one as well, but I've never heard of talk to put a right-of-way there.

Probably not wide enough for an ROW, plus I doubt the ridership numbers come close to justifying it. It runs a bit too close in parallel with Yonge.

I mentioned Jarvis awhile ago... as a sort of east-side version of Spadina... I think it could act as a minor reliever to the Yonge line - IF stops were spread out ie only major streets.
I think it would relieve a bit of pressure on Yonge-Bloor station by transferring people a station before. I still think its not a bad idea... but there would be problems terminating the line at the South End... With the promissed redo of Jarvis I think its something that should at least be studied.

Jarvis already has a beautification plan in the works that will see the centre lane removed, the sidewalks widened, and new street furniture/trees/etc.

Besides, I can't really see a ROW being useful on Jarvis since there'd be no easy connection to the subway, nowhere to loop it at Bloor, and beyond that there isn't even bus service on Jarvis right now, so who knows what the demand for a streetcar would be.

Now, what would work on Jarvis would be North-South tracks (not in a ROW) from King to Carlton, to give an additional way to short-turn

I think that Jarvis should be maintained as a high capacity route for cars, especially given that it links up with Mount Pleasant. With its coordinated traffic lights and reversable middle lane, Jarvis moves large numbers of cars efficiently and quickly. In the height of rush hour, it typically takes at most 10 minutes to travel between Queen St. and St. Clair and I really think that should be preserved.

I would favour extending the Spadina ROW further north, or creating a streetcar ROW on Church or Bathurst.

As for the St. Clair ROW, it's a very nice addition to the neighbourhood. More than anything else, I think it looks extremely crisp and clean. My only complaint is that I now have to make a U-turn before heading into my building. :b

"I would favour extending the Spadina ROW further north, or creating a streetcar ROW on Church or Bathurst."

Neither is nearly wide enough to accomodate one, unfortunately.

"I would favour extending the Spadina ROW further north, or creating a streetcar ROW on Church or Bathurst."

--------------------------------------

Neither is nearly wide enough to accomodate one, unfortunately.

There are very few roads that are wide enough for a ROW and that is a problem for transit that is either BRT/LRT.

There is no need for an ROW on Church and to reinterduce Streetcars will be an issue considering the tracks were removed north of Carlton. Where do the tracks run to north of Carlton?

Unless the City is perpare to start taking a lane away from the current traffic, you will have to run in mix traffic for transit.

Going north of Bloor for the Spadina line ROW will not happen due to the road as well load factor.

If you think the SOS mess was bad for St Clair, it will be twice for Spadina Rd LRT.

The road that needs an LRT right now is Dufferin St, as it sees 47,000 riders a day.

It has 3 problem area just to try to put an LRT in mix traffic now. To put an LRT on Dufferin will cost $50 million per Km to deal with the 3 trouble areas. This is from CNE to Steeles.

How do you put an ROW on Dufferin St without removing a lane of traffic?

St Clair has a problem now just to extend the ROW west of Gunns loop.

Removing a lane of traffic off St Clair west of Runnymede for the ROW will have some impact on traffic, but not that much outside of peak time. Even then it will not be that bad.

Between Runnymede and Symes Rd is the major issue.

I know this first hand as I had have walk and taken photos of this area.

I can hear Wal-Mart yelling already and the EA has yet to start. Look for it in 2007.

Another problem is the CP bridge at Scarlett Rd as the 512 is to connect with Kipling. The city has no ROW or height in the plans for a new bridge to support an LRT at this time.

512 will connect to MT Dundas LRT at Kipling.

re: stclairrowunderway

"512 will connect to MT Dundas LRT at Kipling."
What MT Dundas LRT? As far as I know, the first mississauga lrt will be on Hurontario and thats at least 10 years away.

"I've heard of Kingston Rd., Lakeshore, Queen's Quay, and Finch"

I wonder if a S.O.S. clone would be set up to fight a Finch ROW. Although no one would want to lose the two lanes of traffic and be forced off a relatively fast bus, there's virtually no businesses on Finch, no on-street parking, longer blocks so fewer left-hand turns will be obstructed, etc. Perhaps the residents between Yonge and Bayview would put up the biggest fight.

Perhaps it would be considered to use the Hyrdo ROW for the final couple of concessions (Bayview or Leslie onward), which has the narrowest and most residential parts of Finch.

If you went up into the hydro field, it would make sense to stay there from Yonge to Don Mills/Seneca. It could continue east into Scarborough in the hydro field, but then it's not close enough to enough people to be useful, especially since the Finch bus is quick. Actually, if Finch got its old accordion buses back, a ROW would not be needed for any reason. The hydro field could then be kept for parkland or a GO-ALRT.

The only reason why a ROW would ever make sense would be if it could be more reliable, more comfortable, and faster than the existing bus service. IMO, artics won't help much for any of those factors. It's not much of a debate if assumptions are made that the Finch bus is somehow unbeatable in travel time.

Personally, I have no complaints at all with the Finch East bus and I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with it. Its minor flaws can be simply fixed by 1. accordion buses (to reduce the number of drivers/vehicles on the route) and 2. limited-stop rocket service (to improve travel times from acceptable to great)...why mess with something that works? Maybe the aborted GO-ALRT plan has morphed into a belief that Finch "needs" a ROW, but there's a dozen other routes that need ROW-style attention far more than the 39. Putting streetcars on Finch East would cost a lot of money that would be better spent in other places - Finch West from Yonge to York U through the hydro field, through the huge tower cluster at Bathurst, would be a good investment. I'd like to see Kingston get one, too.

Speaking of, what happened to the TTC's accordion buses? I used to see them on Islington for example all the time, but they vanished a few years ago. Mississauga Transit has tons of them!

^i think the problem with the articulated ones is that they last half as long as normal buses, rust easily, are bad in snow...

Well, the crappy Orion IIIs did, but the rumour is that the new St. Dennis garage being built in Weston will have provisions for artic buses, probably Orion VIIs (or VIIIs, whatever they may be).

Back