He is!

ShockerMarket.jpg

2 videos from the announcement:

[video=youtube;fFvjbuQ62mI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvjbuQ62mI[/video]

(other speeches edited out in between...)

[video=youtube;a4ywWEUMVdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ywWEUMVdM[/video]

...funny how the winners' names were not actually spoken, just flashed up on screen. All speeches ended at that point, much talking ensued amongst those gathered, losing architects fled...

Some photos of the winning entry's model, and architect David Jansen, partner at Adamson Associates, accepting congratulations from Mayor David Miller:

StLawMktNModMayArch.jpg

from the east:

StLawMktNModE.jpg

from the southeast:

StLawMktNModSE.jpg

from the south:

StLawMktNModS.jpg

from the southwest:

StLawMktNModSW.jpg

close-up on Market Lane:

StLawMktNModMktLa.jpg

from the northwest:

StLawMktNModNW.jpg

from the north, St. Lawrence Hall in the foreground:

StLawMktNModN.jpg

from the northeast:

StLawMktNModNE.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, would Rogers be the 5th Pritzker Prize winner to build something in Toronto?

Pei
Foster
Gehry
Maki
Rogers

Brutal.

They should level the North Market and make it a park. North Market function could be moved south of the South Market to help get some people south of Front.

Brutal.

They should level the North Market and make it a park. North Market function could be moved south of the South Market to help get some people south of Front.

I have a feeling you won't like what people will say next...

The walkways bridging the east and west sides of the courtroom levels - which cut through the atrium like the walkways at Corus - are a nice touch.

Of the two designs - Orange and Red - I felt that KPMB's outward-facing gallerias were a less efficient use of the comparatively narrow width of the site, and given the fairly humble purpose they serve as waiting rooms or circulation spaces outside the court rooms not worthy of the big statement that these giant curved "parentheses" make on their behalf. I realize that they are a take on the curved roof of the South Market, and that they reference Gehry's Galleria Italia and Alsop's Filmport, but what decided me on the Rogers approach was that more of practical worth is achieved by internalizing the big statement with the north/south atrium while at the same time designing an exterior for the building that is sympathetic to the earlier historic buildings including St. Lawrence Hall. The Rogers design is simply cleverer than the rest, and offers more.

Back