I'm gonna push for a proper public square. (with planters/greenery, of course) The Esplanade already has lots of parks, we need something different behind St. Lawrence Market. It deserves something special! (not just your typical grass & trees park)

I'm gonna push for a proper public square. (with planters/greenery, of course) The Esplanade already has lots of parks, we need something different behind St. Lawrence Market. It deserves something special! (not just your typical grass & trees park)

Not a bad idea - even better would be a combination underground parking/new grand entrance to an additional underground level for SLM.

AoD

Seems like an odd spot for a square. It's a small lot surrounded by roads facing SLM loading area. Is there a plan to eliminate Wilton?

It has already been announced that this will be more of Victorian style space similar to the St. James Park flower garden. Think highly ornamented and very little grass.

It has already been announced that this will be more of Victorian style space similar to the St. James Park flower garden. Think highly ornamented and very little grass.

Sounds good to me.

Is there a plan to eliminate Wilton?

I'd love to see Wilton eliminated, so many drivers use it as a shortcut to turn left if the light is red at The Esplanade and go speeding through there.

I'd love to see Wilton eliminated, so many drivers use it as a shortcut to turn left if the light is red at The Esplanade and go speeding through there.

Given that the city wouldn't buck up and close Market street to cars, idk if Wilton will be closed. But hey, a man can dream :)

The plans for the park on the car park (and temporary market) site are not made yet and nothing has been decided. There will be public consultations in 2016-2017. Apart from cost issues, as there is a huge (and often quite empty) Green P lot not 100 yards further south I doubt there will be underground parking. (In addition, the reason Market Wharf has no underground parking was due to contamination so I bet this site is also contaminated.)

The neighbourhood still has hopes that the block of Wilton from Lower Jarvis to Market will be closed, or at least narrowed and have been promised that that will be considered. It was recommended (in a Community Improvement Plan approved by the City a few years ago) that once the park planning starts the layout of Wilton needs to be examined.

Work on the parking lot south of the Market

IMG_20141127_153450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141127_153450.jpg
    IMG_20141127_153450.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 859
According to The Bulletin local paper:

- total budget increased by $16 million to $91.46 million with part of increase slated for a third level of underground parking. Total of 250 spots.
- temporary north market will be done by end of March 2015
- demolition of North Market including archaeological and environmental clean up will be done by Sept 2015.
- completion of new North Market slated for mid 2017.

There would have been enough money to build the original proposal if it wasn't for the parking garage. Why do cars have to ruin everything?

Last edited:
According to The Bulletin local paper:

- total budget increased by $16 million to $91.46 million with part of increase slated for a third level of underground parking. Total of 250 spots.
- temporary north market will be done by end of March 2015
- demolition of North Market including archaeological and environmental clean up will be done by Sept 2015.
- completion of new North Market slated for mid 2017.

The Bulletin took most of this from: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/North Market Nov 2014 SLNA.pdf The Bulletin is not generally a terribly reliable source and their 'editorial policy' is often bizarre.

There would have been enough money to build the original proposal if it wasn't for the parking garage. Cars suck.

Yeah I agree. Mandatory minimums for cars just continues the incentivization of private car ownership. I understand having some parking, but having to add another whole level at the expense of the actual market building is ridiculous. The city should be instead looking at ways to improve public transportation in the area, including building bike lanes and widening sidewalks.

Back