Essentially, that's what was covered in our front page story here.

The new North Market will be more than the Sunday Market. The parking courts will generate parking demand during the week and getting the farmers and antique people off Jarvis on the weekends is a benefit from the new parking.

Are you saying people will drive their cars to a place where they are fighting a parking ticket??? That's crazy talk... ;-)

Are you saying people will drive their cars to a place where they are fighting a parking ticket??? That's crazy talk... ;-)

Wait till they muck up and get ticketed somehow on the way to the traffic court. Anyways, the program of the St. Lawrence Market North project seem to have evolved - I don't recall a seniors' centre being part of it (it's not a bad idea though!).

AoD

Wait till they muck up and get ticketed somehow on the way to the traffic court. Anyways, the program of the St. Lawrence Market North project seem to have evolved - I don't recall a seniors' centre being part of it (it's not a bad idea though!).

AoD
The Seniors' Centre (which will be an offshoot of the St Lawrence Community Rec Centre on The Esplanade and managed by them) has been part of the SLMN planning for several years. It is not that large and will be on the mezzanine part as far as I know.

The temporary north market site as of yesterday:

P1430822.jpg

Attachments

• P1430822.jpg
    P1430822.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 998
are those remnants of an old railway?
Yes, railway ties. There used to be a line of them - plus the rails - that actually went onto Wilton Street and across Market. They stuck out of the asphalt and were, finally, removed about a year ago. The whole of The Esplanade area was a mass of rail tracks.

Yes, railway ties. There used to be a line of them - plus the rails - that actually went onto Wilton Street and across Market. They stuck out of the asphalt and were, finally, removed about a year ago. The whole of The Esplanade area was a mass of rail tracks.

1907:

esplanademarket.jpg

esplanadejarvis.jpg

Attachments

• esplanadejarvis.jpg
    esplanadejarvis.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 907
  • esplanademarket.jpg
    esplanademarket.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 848
So those rail ties sit pretty much right where the wheels of that train in the left foreground are? (in the second image) So cool!

Last edited:
In so many ways, a better time.

Ah yes a time when squalor, racism, oppressive rights regimes and environmental destruction were considered the norm and not something to be prevented.

But hey aside from that this city was booming!

I don't mean to offend, but that was a pretty short sighted insight you provided

Back