News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I'm gonna guess Bloor.

Boom!

If you sit in the front car northbound from Wellesley, you can see the track curve eastward. Bloor is actually on an angle, not parallel to Yonge, and then does an "S" swing closer to Yonge as it reaches Rosedale.

Other stations east of Yonge, only not as far east, are Rosedale, Summerhill, St.Clair, Wellesley, and York Mills. Davisville and Eglinton are to the west, as is Union, of course. The others are directly beneath the street.

This one may be simple;

In the 60s, what were the two western most stations originally supposed to be, before the TTC decided to extend the subway to Islington instead?

In after Yonge, the TTC was to open the University-Bloor-Danforth in separate phases: From Union north to Museum and across to Greenwood/Woodbine, then a second phase from Bay to Keele. Money from the province allowed the TTC to expedite the process, opening up Union-St. George then completing Keele-Woodbine three years later.

I'm curious as to the answer to this question, because it seems a bit vague.

This one may be simple;

In the 60s, what were the two western most stations originally supposed to be, before the TTC decided to extend the subway to Islington instead?

Well, before the province started throwing its money into the pile, the first phase of the B-D was only to go from St.George to Greenwood, i.e. connect the network to the yard.

Other stations that never came to be included a Prince Edward and Montgomery proposal in earlier drafts of the western extension towards Islington before the Old Mill-Royal York-Islington stations were the final outcome.

Other stations that never came to be included a Prince Edward and Montgomery proposal in earlier drafts of the western extension towards Islington before the Old Mill-Royal York-Islington stations were the final outcome.

I think this is the answer he is looking for.

Old Mill was always going to be built in its present location. I don't it really would've mattered whether Prince Edward and Montgomery (Brentwood) Stns were created because any expansion further west of there probably would've included a stop at Islington irregardless, almost in the exact location as today's.

Well, before the province started throwing its money into the pile, the first phase of the B-D was only to go from St.George to Greenwood, i.e. connect the network to the yard.

Correctamundo.

Sorry, I probably should have worded the question better. Here's a picture and explanation from the TransitToronto B/D subway article.

Initially, the two westernmost stations were planned to be placed at Prince Edward (five blocks east of Royal York) and Montgomery (two blocks west of Royal York) instead of at Royal York and Islington as is now the case. As work on the Keele-to-Woodbine section continued, the decision was made to move these two stations to their current locations, as Royal York and Islington were far more major suburban thoroughfares than Prince Edward or Montgomery. Prince Edward and Montgomery Road did serve the east and west ends of the Kingsway shopping district, but it is possible that the TTC felt that a single station at Royal York (particularly one with two entrances) could serve this business district just as effectively.

subway-5104-17.gif

Old Mill is nice station and its only because of those silly birds stickers.

The station - because you'd need tail tracks and could not preclude any extension, and it would otherwise run up against the CN Uxbridge Sub. Though I don't know why they built most of the section between Kennedy and Warden underground, would have been cheaper to run it in a shallow trench with dips to cut under the rail spur/Birchmount.

I would suspect heavy NIMBYism ensured the construction of the section east of warden. Just as an aside, that's the longest tunnel in Scarborough!

The station - because you'd need tail tracks and could not preclude any extension, and it would otherwise run up against the CN Uxbridge Sub. Though I don't know why they built most of the section between Kennedy and Warden underground, would have been cheaper to run it in a shallow trench with dips to cut under the rail spur/Birchmount.

Weren't there multiple spurs when the line was built?

Back