News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, at least we know that the AGO is aiming to be part of LuminaTO. Maybe it will do what the ROM did and open @ the festival.

The unique maquette that the AGO smashed, when the gallery was installed over thirty years ago, was irreplaceable - though Moore kindly donated a different one to fill the space.

They installed a major section of the south stairs on Saturday.
1687533045_8d157b42d5.jpg

1688387646_940981930c.jpg

I love this project.

The problem with this project is that...no matter how pretty the tower will turn out, YOU CAN NOT SEE IT ON THE DUNDAS SIDE. And that's where the main entrance will be right???

So, basically, you have to walk to the back of AGO to see the building, and how many people will do that? Sure, some of you may do that....but for people from out of town, or just local people passing by, they will NOT even notice there's a tower behind it.

So, it is a bust.

^ The tower terminates the view up John St, which is very busy with pedestrian traffic, so it will get plenty of noticing.

It's nice when a building doesn't show all of its secrets at one glance.

Imagine passing by the Dundas façade, being impressed but not delving in further. Then picture one day walking up John and seeing the glimmer from the sun reflecting off a blue titanium façade. You follow up John to see what this is all about and discover this quaint little park named Grange... flanked by OCAD flying on stilts and the gorgeous façade of the modern art gallery with its curved stair cases and the original gallery house at ground level.

SNF: I wish I could claim to have spirited away the broken bits, and have the carefully glued-together result sitting in my place - but, alas, no. I don't know what happened to it. They glue together old Greek pots for museum display, so I would've thought something could have been done.

It's nice when a building doesn't show all of its secrets at one glance.

Imagine passing by the Dundas façade, being impressed but not delving in further. Then picture one day walking up John and seeing the glimmer from the sun reflecting off a blue titanium façade. You follow up John to see what this is all about and discover this quaint little park named Grange... flanked by OCAD flying on stilts and the gorgeous façade of the modern art gallery with its curved stair cases and the original gallery house at ground level.

Come on, this building is NOT THAT special to have such hidden away mystery gem that people will care about. Most visitors will be tourists and then come, they enter the front, and I bet after they leave AGO, they won't even know the building exists at the back.

It's a bust.

I am not too upset that you cannot see the back of the building from the front of the building. ;)

(I am loving this project more and more. I was a bit fearful of the front structure, but it is not turning out to be as 'convention centre - like' as I anticipated. As well, I am not necessarily disappointed with the stairways. The models of the stairways made no sense to me and I feared that they would be open to the elements and thus closed during winter months. They have appeared to have found a solution.)

Back