News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

unimaginative2 , you have some good points.

may i add that new subway lines would probably be more accessible than new LRT lines. also, subways protect you from the weather better.

i'm quite excited about transit city but probably because it's the only extensive thing on the table.

It's amazing how no money is ever available for subways, how it's absolutely unaffordable, but $6 billion for streetcars ...
What an odd statement. I don't think there has been any expansion of streetcar services in this city since ... well I was going to say Long Branch in the 1950s - but I just read that service was extended there in 1893!

In the meantime, in the Move2020, the province announced 2 subway extensions (Spadina to 7 ... again), and Yonge from Finch to 7. And a Scarborough LRT extension to Malvern. In addition they announced funding for a new east-west GO Line that will link Agincourt to the Dupont and Summerhill (?) subway stations. And the construction of the SuperGO line through Toronto that will increase service frequencies and add a couple of stations on the Lakeshore line, so that it can be used like some kind of supersubway.

Toronto has been promised the addition of more rapid-transit stations in the next 12-15 years than for any decade since the 1960s! Between the 3 extensions, I'm counting about 16-18 new stations.

And buses ... there have been lots of buses added to the TTC fleet recently. So many in fact, that a new garage is being constructed and will open next year to accomodate them. Outside of the TTC, there has been a huge growth in the number of buses in York, Peel, and Durham.

I'm not sure why you think this is all about streetcars! That's only one part of the plan.

And why don't think a streetcar running in a tunnel under Eglinton is going to run a lot faster than a bus on the surface? At least in rush-hour.

What an odd statement. I don't think there has been any expansion of streetcar services in this city since ... well I was going to say Long Branch in the 1950s - but I just read that service was extended there in 1893!
Ahem, the 510 Spadina? The Harbourfront? The connector track between Bathurst and Spadina? There has been expansion of streetcar service, hence the 509 and 510 existing, just nothing incredibly huge.

Uhh, Queens Quay? Spadina was a restoration of service, but it's still expansion. Same with St. Clair. Still, what does that have to do with anything? We haven't expanded streetcars much, so now all transit projects have to be streetcars?
In the meantime, in the Move2020, the province announced 2 subway extensions (Spadina to 7 ... again), and Yonge from Finch to 7.

Neither of those have anything to do with the City of Toronto. The city opposed the former, and seemed to have been taken completely by surprise by the latter. York Region pushes for subway, LRT and bus routes -- a very sensible mix. If only they had the built form for it. That may come in the future.

And a Scarborough LRT extension to Malvern.

Oh, yeah. That's really gonna be useful. An extension that's been on the books for 20 years to a mega-development that fell through in the late 80s and has since been replaced by a gas station and a few townhouses. The City of Toronto's priorities really make sense. The RT to nothing is the only rapid transit project that the city thinks is necessary.

In addition they announced funding for a new east-west GO Line that will link Agincourt to the Dupont and Summerhill (?) subway stations. And the construction of the SuperGO line through Toronto that will increase service frequencies and add a couple of stations on the Lakeshore line, so that it can be used like some kind of supersubway.

Those are all wonderful projects, but they have nothing to do with the City of Toronto or the TTC. Those projects were advocated by GO Transit.

Toronto has been promised the addition of more rapid-transit stations in the next 12-15 years than for any decade since the 1960s! Between the 3 extensions, I'm counting about 16-18 new stations.

3 extensions? Don't tell me you're counting that RT extension. If so, please tell me why STC to Markham and Sheppard is more suitable for rapid transit than Sheppard from Don Mills to STC. Anyway, so what? Like I said, none of those are City of Toronto projects, and they're not in the most obvious location for subway in the city: finishing Sheppard.

And buses ... there have been lots of buses added to the TTC fleet recently. So many in fact, that a new garage is being constructed and will open next year to accomodate them. Outside of the TTC, there has been a huge growth in the number of buses in York, Peel, and Durham.

I'm not sure why you think this is all about streetcars! That's only one part of the plan.

I'm not talking about MoveOntario, though. I'm talking about the City of Toronto's Transit City, which includes only streetcars and no new subway.

And why don't think a streetcar running in a tunnel under Eglinton is going to run a lot faster than a bus on the surface? At least in rush-hour.

Yeah, and what about the other $5 billion worth of surface sections which are modelled on St. Clair? Never mind them. What about the Eglinton tunnel? What happens when the streetcars bunch up on the surface sections in either end, so we have a tunnel with 5 streetcars arriving at once, and then nothing for half an hour.

Ahem, the 510 Spadina? The Harbourfront? The connector track between Bathurst and Spadina? There has been expansion of streetcar service, hence the 509 and 510 existing, just nothing incredibly huge.
Ah, true. I was thinking of expansion outwards, rather than internal - for some reason Spadina and Queen's Quay skipped my mind. So what do we have in terms of expansion? About 800 metres on Spadina from Carleton to Bloor. About 900 metres on Spadina from King to Queen's Quay. And perhaps about 2km along Queen's Quay to Union.

I shouldn't have discounted (or forgotten) this. But Transit City is expanding the system outwards, rather than filling in some missing links. It's the comparison of expanded services to other technologies that is important here. I'm sure LRT will continue to be the first choice for new services in the downtown core, such as Cherry Street, Bremnar, Queen's Quay East, etc.

Uhh, Queens Quay? Spadina was a restoration of service, but it's still expansion. Same with St. Clair. Still, what does that have to do with anything? We haven't expanded streetcars much, so now all transit projects have to be streetcars?
Mea culpa - somehow I forgot Queen's Quay and Spadina. St. Clair? There's no extension of service there - simply a restoration of the reserved right-of-way.

Neither of those have anything to do with the City of Toronto. The city opposed the former, and seemed to have been taken completely by surprise by the latter. York Region pushes for subway, LRT and bus routes -- a very sensible mix. If only they had the built form for it. That may come in the future.
Not sure the issue then. We've already got the bus routes and subway then. We could build another half-dozen subway stations (and not have bought the trains!) for the price of over 60 km of LRT routes (including vehicles).

Besides, although some politicians in the city are against the Spadina Extension, others are in favour. I don't think providing much better service to York University is merely a 905 issue. Have you ever tried to drive within Toronto in that area? It's absolutely dreadful anywhere near rush-hour; I'd much rather drive downtown that be near the Allen and Finch areas. And it's not like there are great transit options there.

I haven't heard any negative comments about the Yonge Line extension. The comments I've heard, is that it can't be done until the capacity problems are solved - but by the time it is completed, the new higher-capacity trains will in place, and the signalling upgrade will be completed to allow higher frequencies. The two remaining bottlenecks are the capacity for changing directions around at Downsview and Finch. Now with the Yonge extension (and the Spadina extension) these issues will be solved. Have you seen how many buses are running on Yonge north of Finch? I don't really see how one can object to this.

Oh, yeah. That's really gonna be useful. An extension that's been on the books for 20 years to a mega-development that fell through in the late 80s and has since been replaced by a gas station and a few townhouses. The City of Toronto's priorities really make sense. The RT to nothing is the only rapid transit project that the city thinks is necessary.
??? Are you opposed to absolutely everything. Your opposed to the two announced subway extensions. Your opposed to the SRT capacity increase and extension. Your opposed to more LRT. What are you in favour of?

Those are all wonderful projects, but they have nothing to do with the City of Toronto or the TTC. Those projects were advocated by GO Transit.
So? Why does it matter if they are TTC-lead or GTTA-lead? The Kipling reconstruction has been transferred from TTC to GTTA - is this bad?

3 extensions? Don't tell me you're counting that RT extension.
Yes - I count the Skytrain as rapid transit.

If so, please tell me why STC to Markham and Sheppard is more suitable for rapid transit than Sheppard from Don Mills to STC.
I can't say that I believe it is. Both are equally deserving - and if there was enough money around, I'd sooner see the Sheppard subway expanded. But with $2.5 billion to do it - wouldn't it be better get 65 km of service, rather than 8 km. I'd love to see the Sheppard subway expanded! I just don't think it's a good a choice with a limited budget.

Anyway, so what? Like I said, none of those are City of Toronto projects, and they're not in the most obvious location for subway in the city: finishing Sheppard.
Why does it matter if they are City of Toronto projects or not? Personally, I'd think that an east-west Queen subway connecting to the B-D line (near Pape and some point on Bloor) would be more useful.

If you don't like it, petition the GTTA. A lot of their regional planning was based on the assumption that the Sheppard subway would be constructed. And given what they want to build at Agincourt, it would make more sense for their to be subway service there.

I'm not talking about MoveOntario, though. I'm talking about the City of Toronto's Transit City, which includes only streetcars and no new subway.
That would be because it's a plan for regional streetcar expansion. There are other plans for subway expansion, SRT expansion, and even bus expansion. It's not the be-all and end-all of future change to TTC service.

Yeah, and what about the other $5 billion worth of surface sections which are modelled on St. Clair? Never mind them.
Not seeing the issue here. So? St. Clair seems to be a big success between Yonge and Bathurst. Why not model on St. Clair (just let's not put the stupid poles in the middle of the track, which stops buses and emergency vehicles from being able to use it! - but I think they've learned their lesson on this one - the Cherry Street cross-sections don't have this).

What about the Eglinton tunnel? What happens when the streetcars bunch up on the surface sections in either end, so we have a tunnel with 5 streetcars arriving at once, and then nothing for half an hour.
Why would they bunch up at each end? There will still be an dedicated right-of-way on either side. You don't see the same kind of unpredictable service on Spadina as you do on Queen Street.

A 5 second search will tell you that unimaginative2 is one of the strongest supporters of subway expansions (where suitable) on this forum. Only in a world where Canada is a poverty-stricken nation unable to afford subways - or any simultaneous transit projects - is a declaration that Sheppard is an obvious choice for a subway extension naturally also a declaration opposing all other subway projects. That is your world, one that features an inflexible 'transit possibilities curve.' In the real world, however, the Sheppard extension will not cost 25% more than Spadina, LRT is not suitable for *every* corridor in the 416, etc. Unimaginative2 was exaggerating in places but he was trying to convince you that just because an "authority" like a website or a councillor says extension X or project Y is better, that doesn't make it true...you seem to favour transit quantity over transit quality. We don't want TransitCity to turn into TransycophantCity, where billions of dollars are spent with no questions asked just because we're! getting! LRT!, do we?

He is trying to say that supporting one project doesn't mean opposing another, completely unrelated project. Maybe it does in the streetcar fanboy la-la-land where all subways must be opposed lest they preclude construction of a few miles of streetcar.

Not sure the issue then. We've already got the bus routes and subway then. We could build another half-dozen subway stations (and not have bought the trains!) for the price of over 60 km of LRT routes (including vehicles).

Not sure where you're getting your figures. Does the $2.5 billion figure for Sheppard come from anywhere other than your imagination? Subway routes and streetcar routes are clearly far from equivalent. You still haven't mentioned how these new streetcars will be different from their models that the TTC has already built. Models which offer no time savings and not very much improvement in reliability. I used to have to ride Spadina every three times a day. That's not a fate that I would wish on anybody.

Besides, although some politicians in the city are against the Spadina Extension, others are in favour. I don't think providing much better service to York University is merely a 905 issue. Have you ever tried to drive within Toronto in that area? It's absolutely dreadful anywhere near rush-hour; I'd much rather drive downtown that be near the Allen and Finch areas. And it's not like there are great transit options there.

Absolutely. It's an absolute nightmare. That's why I think a subway is absolutely essential. Unfortunately, TTC commissioners have tried to shoot it down at every juncture. During the latest budget debate, they successfully killed city funding for it. Fortunately, the province so quickly picked up the slack with MoveOntario 2020 that it didn't matter.

I haven't heard any negative comments about the Yonge Line extension. The comments I've heard, is that it can't be done until the capacity problems are solved - but by the time it is completed, the new higher-capacity trains will in place, and the signalling upgrade will be completed to allow higher frequencies. The two remaining bottlenecks are the capacity for changing directions around at Downsview and Finch. Now with the Yonge extension (and the Spadina extension) these issues will be solved. Have you seen how many buses are running on Yonge north of Finch? I don't really see how one can object to this.

I obviously support this subway extension, and it's a pretty complete no-brainer as you've shown.

??? Are you opposed to absolutely everything. Your opposed to the two announced subway extensions. Your opposed to the SRT capacity increase and extension. Your opposed to more LRT. What are you in favour of?

Uhh...have you read a single thing I've written? I don't care if you haven't, but please don't try and then tell me what I think.

I'm wildly in favour of not only those two subway extensions (driven by York Region, since Toronto has completely abdicated any responsibility for new rapid transit) but many others across the city.

I do think it's a complete waste of money to renovate an orphan system and extend it to the middle of nowhere, retaining a time-consuming transfer for everyone in Scarborough when for not much more money, we could replace the entire system with a subway extension from Kennedy.

Opposed to LRT? That really jives with my comments a couple posts up:
"Finch West, Eglinton, Jane, Kingston, 905 routes = Great for LRT"

So? Why does it matter if they are TTC-lead or GTTA-lead? The Kipling reconstruction has been transferred from TTC to GTTA - is this bad?

The point is that Toronto asked for not a single subway extension when the Province was prepared to provide full funding for it. This is a disastrous failure. We're never going to get a gift like MoveOntario2020 again. We were offered essentially unlimited money, and we've refused to ask for a single subway improvement.
I can't say that I believe it is. Both are equally deserving - and if there was enough money around, I'd sooner see the Sheppard subway expanded. But with $2.5 billion to do it - wouldn't it be better get 65 km of service, rather than 8 km. I'd love to see the Sheppard subway expanded! I just don't think it's a good a choice with a limited budget.

What does "65 km of service" mean? For the $6 billion they're spending on Transit City, we could have 6,500 kilometres of bus routes. People have been going on about this zero sum stuff for years. Building a $1 billion subway does not mean that we have to cancel $1 billlion in streetcar projects! MoveOntario2020 funding was essentially unlimited! We could have had subways and streetcars all over the place. Unfortunately, some councillors are so fixated on streetcars that they're all we're getting.

Why does it matter if they are City of Toronto projects or not? Personally, I'd think that an east-west Queen subway connecting to the B-D line (near Pape and some point on Bloor) would be more useful.

I agree. It's called the downtown relief line. It would run on the rail corridor and on Front through downtown. I've been pushing that for years and years. Read the Transit Toronto article.
If you don't like it, petition the GTTA. A lot of their regional planning was based on the assumption that the Sheppard subway would be constructed. And given what they want to build at Agincourt, it would make more sense for their to be subway service there.

Absolutely right. That's why I'm hoping against hope that somehow, miraculously, the GTTA will step in and build the damned subway.

That would be because it's a plan for regional streetcar expansion. There are other plans for subway expansion, SRT expansion, and even bus expansion. It's not the be-all and end-all of future change to TTC service.

No, Transit City is the TTC's plan for expansion, and it's all-streetcar. That is the future of the TTC. $6 billion in streetcar lines. That's the problem. All we're getting is streetcars (and a preposterous RT extension). If it were a remotely balanced plan, there would be nothing wrong with it. It's not a regional plan. It's a Toronto plan. Every region has its own plan. Haha... plan plan plan.

Not seeing the issue here. So? St. Clair seems to be a big success between Yonge and Bathurst. Why not model on St. Clair (just let's not put the stupid poles in the middle of the track, which stops buses and emergency vehicles from being able to use it! - but I think they've learned their lesson on this one - the Cherry Street cross-sections don't have this).

A big success? It doesn't save people a minute of time. The TTC has also terribly bungled the construction. Like I've said, I support light rail. I'm just terrified that we're putting all our eggs in one basket, and it's a basket that the TTC doesn't know how to make.

Why would they bunch up at each end? There will still be an dedicated right-of-way on either side. You don't see the same kind of unpredictable service on Spadina as you do on Queen Street.

Wow. Oh my god. Are you joking? Have you ever, ever ridden Spadina? I live on Spadina, and it's the most unreliable service in the entire city. Today, it was five of them that were bunched up, and I had to wait 25 minutes. When I used to take it from Front to Hoskin, I would have to budget at least 40 minutes for a trip that takes at most about 45 minutes to walk. I would regularly wait 20 minutes or more at rush hour, and then two or three would have to pass me by, overfull, before I could climb on car 3 or 4 in the bunch which had nobody aboard.

Transfers are a real hassle. The SRT should absolutely be replaced with a subway. Sheppard should be built out to STC. Spadina should go to Steeles, but no further (in my opinion). Yonge should go to at least Steeles as well. Bloor should go to Square One. Eglinton should be a subway. We need a NETWORK of subways. LRT should fill in where we don't have the density/need for subways, not replace them.

From: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/scarborough/article/33046?thePub=scarborough
_________
Scarborough RT line may extend north to Sheppard

TTC chair says plan to link with proposed light rail line depends on funding

BY DAVID NICKLE
NOVEMBER 9, 2007 04:35 PM

The extension of the Sheppard subway line, by way of light rail line, east to McCowan Road will be among the first projects to get started in the $17.5-billion Transit City plan in 2009.
The commission will be voting Wednesday to earmark $13 million for early engineering studies on the Sheppard line, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Etobicoke-Finch West line.
The Sheppard line will run from Don Mills subway station east into Durham Region.
But the decision to route the light rail line straight along Sheppard, bypassing the Scarborough Town Centre, is raising concerns in Scarborough.
Ward 40 (Scarborough-Agincourt) Councillor Norm Kelly said that doing so discounts planning decisions to turn the Scarborough Civic Centre into a high-density "downtown" for the former municipality.
"The original subway was to go to the town centre, that's our downtown," Kelly said.
He said he's hoping the TTC will look at running a spur line south from Sheppard to service the new condominiums in the city centre. Otherwise, it would mean a bus connection to get to the civic centre and the Scarborough Town Centre.
However, TTC chair Adam Giambrone (Ward 18, Davenport) said there's an easier solution. The TTC is also looking at having to rebuild the existing SRT line that connects the Scarborough Civic Centre with Kennedy station on the Bloor Danforth line and part of that work will involve extending the line as far north as Sheppard, so it will link up with the Sheppard line further to the east.
While that isn't part of the initial plan, the SRT will need to be replaced by 2014, which means, according to Giambrone, that assuming the funding's available work will start on it just a year later than the early 2009 start on the Sheppard extension.
"You might have an issue of a year or two of not having that direct linkup," said Giambrone.
"But that's not too bad if you have to do that - and all of it is dependent on the funding."

Back