News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Take out the Eglinton tunnel, and you could say the same thing for Transit City. You seem to always want to only refer to Eglinton, and completely ignore the fact that the other 7/8 of Transit City uses in-median rail, just like.... OMG, St. Clair!.
I'm simply following the money. Most of the Transit City money is going to the Eglinton tunnel, and the grade-separated extension and rebuild of the SRT.

Hey, you've said this before but it's not even close to true. Be professional and do your research.

Where exactly did I go wrong then? Was the initial estimate of Transit City not $6 billion? Did the cost not escalate to $15 billion? Did the provincial government not reduce funding for Transit City to just over $8 billion? Please tell me, what about these facts are incorrect.

Also, this "Who will wait for an LRT in Toronto's BITTER ARCTIC WINTERS?" shit is ridiculous. They're installing heated shelters on Viva. They could do the same thing here.

That would be "gravy" though. You of all people should know that Rob Ford doesn't really give a shit about transit. We're lucky if service levels doesn't get gutted. Getting heated shelters is about as likely as Rob Ford deciding to take the streetcar to work. Let's be honest here.

Also, this "Who will wait for an LRT in Toronto's BITTER ARCTIC WINTERS?" shit is ridiculous. They're installing heated shelters on Viva. They could do the same thing here.

They could but since I haven't seen any on St.Clair, Spadina and Lakeshore nor in the TC EA means that your claim is not a fact...

Last edited:
I'm simply following the money. Most of the Transit City money is going to the Eglinton tunnel, and the grade-separated extension and rebuild of the SRT.

and 1 billion on SELRT is just small change right...?

Where exactly did I go wrong then? Was the initial estimate of Transit City not $6 billion? Did the cost not escalate to $15 billion? Did the provincial government not reduce funding for Transit City to just over $8 billion? Please tell me, what about these facts are incorrect.

The only Transit City lines with committed funding are Sheppard, Finch, Eglinton and the Scarborough RT replacement. The province pledged 8.3 billion to these projects in 2007. Earlier this year, they cut 4 billion from that funding commitment.

But the majority of KMs of track being built are in-median rail, are they not? All I'm saying is that the configuration of the in-median rail being used in Transit City is very similar to the in-median rail that was used on St. Clair. The main difference between them is the stop and intersection spacing, which is more a function of the street and its cross streets, as opposed to the configuration type. Yes, there are sections that are tunnelled (Eglinton) or grade-separated (SRT, which we both know was intended to be an ICTS upgrade, but they pretty much just slapped an LRT label onto it), but the vast majority of the plan is still in-median rail.

Eglinton, I would agree with you. However, Eglinton is only about 1/8 of Transit City. What about the other 7/8?
That 7/8 (2/3 if you include SRT and count only the 4 approved lines) would be comparable to the 1/2 of the Green line that isn't grade-separated.

The conversion option had been studied by Metrolinx (Finch - Sheppard Corridor study) and their cost estimate was $670 million; that's more than 50% extra to the whole cost of Sheppard LRT. Looks like too pricey for the chance to eliminate one transfer.

The combined Finch W - Sheppard E line would be too slow for a useful crosstown trunk; 38 km at 23 kph will take more than 1.5 hours on the LRT alone, not counting any time spent on connecting buses.

Sheppard LRT is (actually, would be) somewhat useful, but only as a feeder line. A usable crosstown line has to be faster.

If $670 million is too much for a conversion from HRT to LRT on the Sheppard subway, I don't think the billions needed to change the SELRT to heavy rail would be considered.

If $670 million is too much for a conversion from HRT to LRT on the Sheppard subway, I don't think the billions needed to change the SELRT to heavy rail would be considered.

HRT to LRT=Reduced capacity
LRT to HRT=Increased Capacity

If you think long term (which everyone should do) LRT to HRT makes sense and not the other way around

All I'm saying is that the configuration of the in-median rail being used in Transit City is very similar to the in-median rail that was used on St. Clair.
No comparison. With the stop spacing, and longer vehicles, the speed is much faster. In PM rush-hour, the St. Clair streetcar takes 18 minutes to do the 3.8 km to Oakwood. That's 12.7 km/hr. The Transit City lines would be 23 km/hr in Scarborough. Almost 30 km/hr with the wide spacing in Etobicoke.

For a 12-km trip, that's 31 minutes on a Transit City LRT, compared to 57 minutes on a St. Clair type streetcar. A savings of 26 minutes. If you go to a 31 km/hr subway the travel time is still 23 minutes, the savings of only another 8 minutes.

Clearly just from travel times alone, Transit City is a lot closer to subway than streetcar. It a fraction of the cost.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of this already.

HRT to LRT=Reduced capacity
LRT to HRT=Increased Capacity

If you think long term (which everyone should do) LRT to HRT makes sense and not the other way around
Surely an increase in capacity that isn't required is a negative, not a positive.

Back