News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I posted this in the Jane thread, thought I would repost here too.

I wonder if we can solve Humber Bay's transit problem by having the DRL dip south to Humber Bay, through the Kraft Plant and up Park Lawn Rd back to Queensway.

View attachment 130868

I tried to make the turns easy for the subway. My one hang-up is that ideally the Windemere stop would be at Queensway rather than Lakeshore, but I think reaching the Humber Bay is more than good enough compensation.

Would it not make more sense to just have the DRL follow Lakeshore out to Long Branch?

I'd rather see a hub at Sunnyside, connecting to both Queensway and Lakeshore LRTs (as well as GO/RER/Smarttrack). Somewhere has to be the end of the line, and a subway on Queensway/Lakeshore is unrealistic.

Park Lawn/Humber Bay and the rest of South Etobicoke should be better served by an upgraded GO/RER/Smarttrack .

Would it not make more sense to just have the DRL follow Lakeshore out to Long Branch?

I'd rather see a hub at Sunnyside, connecting to both Queensway and Lakeshore LRTs (as well as GO/RER/Smarttrack). Somewhere has to be the end of the line, and a subway on Queensway/Lakeshore is unrealistic.

Park Lawn/Humber Bay and the rest of South Etobicoke should be better served by an upgraded GO/RER/Smarttrack .

The idea is that heavy density follows the subway along The Queensway towards Sherway. Lakeshore cannot accomodate that level of density past HBS.

I too would be 100% okay with LRT's on Queensway and Lakeshore with a multi-modal hub at Sunnyside. The exercise was more of a question of where should the western leg of the DRL go, if anywhere.

The idea is that heavy density follows the subway along The Queensway towards Sherway. Lakeshore cannot accomodate that level of density past HBS.

I too would be 100% okay with LRT's on Queensway and Lakeshore with a multi-modal hub at Sunnyside. The exercise was more of a question of where should the western leg of the DRL go, if anywhere.

Lakeshore already has density though and a major trip generator en route that could be served (Humber College).

Route 80 Queensway by contrast runs every half hour and I don't foresee great swaths of it being redeveloped anytime soon.

With all the high rises being built along the waterfront near Union Station, it makes sense that that construction will head west and east. While there isn't the need now for an LRT or Subway, by the time the other planned lines and extensions are built, a line along the waterfront may be needed to replace the 501 street car.

Hows this?
2061 Viva and TTC.jpg

2061 GO Viva and TTC.jpg

Attachments

• 2061 GO Viva and TTC.jpg
    2061 GO Viva and TTC.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 964
  • 2061 Viva and TTC.jpg
    2061 Viva and TTC.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 1,205

Some things I would change:

1. I would make the Sheppard subway dip down to STC, and then continue to Malvern instead of that light blue line.

2. I'd make Spadina Line 1 continue to Vaughan Mills and Wonderland. Those are huge destinations.

3. I would make something, whether the Sheppard subway post Malvern, Finch LRT, etc continue to the Toronto Zoo, another important destination.

The compromise to all of the above is a mostly elevated ICTS/SkyTrain line going from STC with no transfers all the way downtown. (yes - I found an opportunity to raise this again)

sss-copy-2-jpg.131028

Question - how does the alignment look like between Castle Frank and Flemingdon Park?

Some things I would change:

1. I would make the Sheppard subway dip down to STC, and then continue to Malvern instead of that light blue line.

2. I'd make Spadina Line 1 continue to Vaughan Mills and Wonderland. Those are huge destinations.

3. I would make something, whether the Sheppard subway post Malvern, Finch LRT, etc continue to the Toronto Zoo, another important destination.
2061 Viva and TTC v2.jpg

2061 GO Viva and TTC v2.jpg

Attachments

• 2061 Viva and TTC v2.jpg
    2061 Viva and TTC v2.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 679
  • 2061 GO Viva and TTC v2.jpg
    2061 GO Viva and TTC v2.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 738
Great maps, @Leo_Chan. I would also add BRT on Kennedy and Kipling to have more N-S routes in the suburbs.

EDIT: And midtown GO.

Last edited:
Question - how does the alignment look like between Castle Frank and Flemingdon Park?
Basically, N to S, its follow elevated over the Gatineau Hydro Corridor (station for Flemingdon, with previous station at Eglinton), cross under it and follow elevated above Overlea Blvd (station for East York Centre), then get into the Valley, basically the cheapest route to follow, elevated, with possible options for some at-grade portions (station at Bloor). South of Bloor, stations would become more frequent.

To make the Waterfront Toronto people happy, I propose a funicular between this and Castle Frank. I don't see this as a huge transfer point, in terms of passengers per hour, but likely needed for connectivity, and since there hadn't been a station for 4 km, and nobody would build a metro system with that type of gap.
Scar Line.jpg

Attachments

• Scar Line.jpg
    Scar Line.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 729
Basically, N to S, its follow elevated over the Gatineau Hydro Corridor (station for Flemingdon, with previous station at Eglinton), cross under it and follow elevated above Overlea Blvd (station for East York Centre), then get into the Valley, basically the cheapest route to follow, elevated, with possible options for some at-grade portions (station at Bloor). South of Bloor, stations would become more frequent.

To make the Waterfront Toronto people happy, I propose a funicular between this and Castle Frank. I don't see this as a huge transfer point, in terms of passengers per hour, but likely needed for connectivity,
View attachment 131038
Interesting, because usually when rapid transit is proposed through the valley it takes the Leaside rail corridor. I like the Gatineau Corridor on your map better because it allows for stops at Thorncliffe and Flemingdon Park, dense priority neighbourhoods. The line also allows for potential interchanges with the Relief Line at both stops.

Ultimately, I don't see the Castle Frank problem to be too large when you consider the Relief Line's ability to interchange with both your proposed line and Line 2. Transit uses of this line or elsewhere in Scarborough with destinations along Line 2 simply adjust their commute pattern as needed.

and since there hadn't been a station for 4 km, and nobody would build a metro system with that type of gap.

:oops::oops:

Back