News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For the past few days I have been working on a schematic version of my map and I also made a few changes as well. Check it out

Doady, this is a great map, both aesthetically and -- well, once I finish puzzling it out; there's a lot to think about there -- content-wise.

I really like the way you have shown all of the transit modes on it. Did you do one using the same approach but that reflects only what is currently in place or planned (using reasonable expectations on things like Sheppard/Consumers and the Stubway Bypass LRT, I suppose) re: GO, subway, LRT? I think that would be a fantastic all-in-one-place map for people to be able to think about the system as it currently stands.

For the past few days I have been working on a schematic version of my map and I also made a few changes as well. Check it out:

Beautiful. Sigh, if only..
Given the fantasy/long-term nature of the map, I think it might be reasonable to also include some sort of higher order transit line on Hwy 7 across York and Brampton. Though I know as things stand it's unsure how much of that would be grade-separated if it does come to pass.

While I really like the inclusion of an Earlscourt station (obviously) it would be fairly west of Earlscourt. I say this as the preceding station would be the Junction (Dundas & St. Clair), which to me means that Earlscourt would be at St. Clair and Keele.

While traditionally Earlscourt did encompass the 'Thorns and what we now call St. Clair Gardens, a more modern view would have it run only to Caledonia. Essentially, the Corso Italia (though I dislike that name, and whatever happened to Elmwood...).

Great map though.

For the past few days I have been working on a schematic version of my map and I also made a few changes as well. Check it out:

I like how you opted to use line numbers instead of full names. Sometimes, it really is a bit of a mouthful. I also like how you chose to add more GO stations, because I mean, GO could have more potential.

3299773388_69dcacfc74_b.jpg

My subway map with DRL added for extra fullness.

It'd probably be a good idea to avoid any duplicate names. I noticed in Chicago that they duplicate, and it was a bit confusing, especially for someone not familiar with the city. Perhaps naming downtown stations after landmarks or neighbourhoods would be best and then eliminate duplications from there.

Extend things any further east *and* west and you might wind up with a pair of Meadowvales...

My choice was either two Central Parkways or two Kennedys. I thought two Kennedys at either ends of the map would be less confusing than two Central Parkways very close to each other. That said, there's four Bathurst stations on my map. I'm not going to bother calling one Bathurst I, Bathurst II, Bathurst III, Bathurst IV. Or Bathurst, Bathurst North, Bathurst Norther, Bathurst Northest. Bathurst-Bloor, Bathurst-Eglinton, Bathurst-DRL, Bathurst-Sheppard just takes up too much space, although it's the clearest.

Just out of curiosity, doady, yillanos, coruscanti et al. What program are you using to make your maps? I usually use a combination of flash and photoshop because it's what I'm familiar with, but it also makes my computer speed suffer from giant file sizes. Illustrator? Other suggestions?

Just out of curiosity, doady, yillanos, coruscanti et al. What program are you using to make your maps? I usually use a combination of flash and photoshop because it's what I'm familiar with, but it also makes my computer speed suffer from giant file sizes. Illustrator? Other suggestions?

I know that feeling of computer suffering. I use PhotoShop, since it's the most thing I'm familiar with. In my opinion it seems the easiest to use for map making. Unless we're going into a very complex map, like the New York Subway map, then I would suggest Illustrator.

And by suffering, mind you, the size of my map is 4018 pixels X 2633 pixels.

Yllianos…you left out the SRT extension to Malvern Town Centre.

It's actually only now, to Sheppard Avenue East, but until some clearer plans are made about the future of the SRT, I'll add it. I mean, Will they extend it? Will they convert it to LRT or Mark II? It just seems like a mess right now with other TTC plans in priority.

I think for map-making you need vector-based program. I tried using Photoshop Elements, which is raster-based, and I though it was frustrating and it was also difficult to edit what was already drawn.

But then I tried using Illustrator and I found it to much more flexible. You can draw and edit lines much faster and more easily. For example, I just turned all the corners of lines into curves yesterday for my map, I did it in around an hour. Illustrator is much more efficent in other ways too: my map is the largest here, but the original .ai file for my map is only 500 kilobytes in size. The map was upload to the internet as PDF file that is only 140 kilobytes in size and allows people to zoom in as much as they want with no loss of quality.

Even though I think it wierd that it seem to be combination schematic/geographic map, I think it is amazing that Yllianos made his map with Photoshop. Perhaps the Elements version I used is missing a lot of features for drawing.

Back