News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Will the underground portions the Eglinton LRT have full-blown stations? I am talking about stops with fare-paid boardings zones for trains and buses. If not, then it doesn't work like the rest of the subway network and it shouldn't be shown as a subway line.

By that then you mean that King, Queen, College, St. Andrew, Osgoode, St. Patrick, and Queen's Park, etc. are not part of the subway lines. They are no fare-paid boarding zones with the surface routes with those. I don't think so. They could even remove the turnstiles and change to automatic Proof-of-Payment, they will still be subway liness.

I think every stop should be named, even on the surface sections.

I know that as a tourist having named stops makes it a whole lot easier to plan a trip when all you have to look at is the map in the car itself. Amsterdam's tram network is mostly aboveground with fairly close stops and it manages to name every stop on its system map; if we have to move the map from one of the long, skinny, above-door spots to one of the larger beside-door spots, then so be it.

if we have to move the map from one of the long, skinny, above-door spots to one of the larger beside-door spots, then so be it.
There is also really no need for the above-door stripe to contain the entire system map. That part can simply contain the route map for the particular route that the train is on, then a system-wide map on a beside-door frame.
(that would, of course, make it harder to use the same train on different routes, but that doesn't usually occur frequently anyway)

By that then you mean that King, Queen, College, St. Andrew, Osgoode, St. Patrick, and Queen's Park, etc. are not part of the subway lines. They are no fare-paid boarding zones with the surface routes with those.

But the trains at those stations have fare-paid boarding. If the Eglinton LRT has no fare-paid boarding zones for either trains or buses then it is not any different from the other LRT lines.

But the trains at those stations have fare-paid boarding. If the Eglinton LRT has no fare-paid boarding zones for either trains or buses then it is not any different from the other LRT lines.

The underground stations on eglinton may not have turnstiles, but people will still have to have a valid fare before entering the train, almost the same thing as a subway station.

I'm thinking the same thing as you, but a bit different explanation.

It sounds like the Eglinton's underground stations are basically just going to be underground areas that are nowheres near what a subway station is like; none of the services that a subway station provides. It might be good to differentiate between LRT and Subway, but there should also be some differentiation between Underground LRT and the TTC's crap-tastic LRT.

That's actually a good idea! I'll add that to the map and upload later, it would make things more clearer. As someone said before, it can be kind of misleading, making it look like an express route with no stops.

EDIT: Here it is, the edited version, all the stop locations are approximate based on the EA reports. I didn't name any of the tops as it would make the map very crowded.

This map is awesome. It really shows the complete mess that we'll have in the east end, a hodgepodge of lines that don't connect very well and are of at least 3 technologies for no good reason.

This map is awesome. It really shows the complete mess that we'll have in the east end, a hodgepodge of lines that don't connect very well and are of at least 3 technologies for no good reason.
Sir David and Sir Adam want it. What more reason do you need?

The Sheppard Subway looks awfully lonely on this map.

The tram lines show up on the Paris map for a couple of good reasons. First, the trams are nearly as fast as the metro itself (in my experience anyway). Secondly, they are important connections which fill in gaps in metro service.

Clearly nobody here believes the former will be true in Toronto (hopefully at least with the exception of the Eglinton tunnel). But the latter is true. If the bus network starts to make changes aimed at bringing riders to their nearest LRT instead of their nearest subway station, then these routes will be essential to have on the map.

From the point of view of a user of the system, its best to have as much info as possible on the map without being overwhelming. It really has little to do actual form or capacity of the transit. NYC includes bus routes to the airport, for example. If its useful to people, put it on the map.

Sir David and Sir Adam want it. What more reason do you need?

The Sheppard Subway looks awfully lonely on this map.

They won't survive the next election...

The Sheppard line will be in the hands of the successors...
Let's hope they see the light...

Here's my submission (or draft submission) to this thread.

3703006804_c41ea48bfc_b.jpg

Here are some of the unique features:

* All higher order modes of transit are showcased on this map, including streetcars, LRT, underground LRT and Subways.
* Two unique LRT networks have been identified, one for downtown (including St. Clair) and one for Scarborough.
The downtown lines (red) utilize most of the existing ROW on Queens Quay, Spadina, St. Clair and Fleet Street. New ROWs along Bremner/Fort York will extend to Fleet Street connecting past the Ex loop to Liberty Village. The Waterfront West Line will follow through the Ex loop along the proposed Lakeshore reconfiguration through parkdale then along the existing Queensway ROW. The Waterfront East line travels along Queens Quay to the Port Lands while the Cork town line bends north to meet with the King Street car.
*The Scarborough LRT network (in blue) represents many new ideas. Essentially, the network links many nodes to the Town Centre, Kennedy and Morningside/Sheppard. There is a McCowan line that goes up to Steeles.
* The Scarborough LRT network intersects with the Sheppard Crosstown LRT. The Scarborough LRT and Sheppard LRT will use the same track technology and the stations Midland and Scarborough Town Centre are interlined to serve both transit lines.
* The Sheppard Subway line is replaced with a full crosstown LRT line terminating at York University and Scarborough Town Centre. The Line in underground from York to Don Mills where it heads above ground. The western portion of the Sheppard Crosstown shares the same alignment and tunnel as the Spadina extension. Indeed, the stations York University, Finch West, Sheppard West and Downsview will interline with the LRT and share a platform. Despite the subway and LRT being different technologies and vehicles, they will share the same tunnel.
*The Eglinton Crosstown terminates at Pearson Airport and Kennedy, where it meets the Bloor-Danforth Line and the Scarborough LRT Network. A portion of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is underground between Laird and Vaughn Road.
* The City Line, representing a variation of the DRL proposal, is a subway that terminates at Dundas West and Don Mills, where it intersects with the Bloor-Danforth Line and Sheppard Crosstown, respectively.
* The City Line's Queen Street alignment replaces most of the Queen Streetcar, except for the east-end where the King car runs a top Queen all the way to Neville Park.
* The Yonge Extension to Richmond Hill will be built to include express trains operating from Richmond Hill stopping only at Steeles, Finch and Sheppard before continuing along with every station stop. Finch, North York Centre and Sheppard stations will be retrofitted to help provide this service as all new station platforms will include glass partitions with automatic doors to prevent accidental or deliberate entry to track-level (this is important as high speed trains will wizz past non-express stations along the North Yonge portion).
* There are 10 stations/stops where GO Transit will also operate, including Summerhill Station and the newly renamed Oriole (formerly Leslie).

Click the attachment for larger viewing.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• ttc_3.jpg
    ttc_3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
^ Not to nitpick since i have nowhere near the skill to do that....but shouldn't all higher order transit include GO? You have the connections but not the lines, which might be necessary information. At a cursory glance it looks I could take GO west from Agincourt to Oriole.

^ Not to nitpick since i have nowhere near the skill to do that....but shouldn't all higher order transit include GO? You have the connections but not the lines, which might be necessary information. At a cursory glance it looks I could take GO west from Agincourt to Oriole.

This is a TTC Map, not a regional transit map so GO lines are not included (just where the inter-modal connections are made). But you make a good point and a next draft could include a colour-coordination of GO linkages to reflect the GO line connecting at a given station. I wonder what colour would fit at Summerhill....:confused:

I think the Sheppard subway should end at Sheppard-Jane via Sheppard-Keele

Making it follow the Spadina line is a waste of money

I think the Sheppard subway should end at Sheppard-Jane via Sheppard-Keele

Making it follow the Spadina line is a waste of money
Hm, that's interesting. I thought that interlining Sheppard West with the Spadina Extension to York U was the most logical thing to do. My subway map would definitely include it.

I think the Map's great. It's not a fantasy map, as the Sheppard West extension and DRL are coming (apparently.) The way LRT is differentiated from subway is pretty much exactly the way I'd do it. However, I think I'd do the Scarborough RT as a subway-like line. Either that, or a hollow line like DLR is in London. Great work though. I'm working on trying to make something as good as that ;)

Back