News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since this thread has come back I decide to update my map and change the symbol for the LRT lines based on easlier discussions here on exactly how they should be represented on a subway map. I decided to make the LRT lines hollow. I also added/removed lines and made a few other changes.

Dude, awesome logo for Toronto and area transit. It looks like the GO logo, but you can clearly see the letters GTA!

Dude, awesome logo for Toronto and area transit. It looks like the GO logo, but you can clearly see the letters GTA!

Thanks, the letters are actually supposed to be G-T-T-A. I wasn't sure if I am allowed to use the name 'GTTA' or 'Greater Toronto Transportation Authority' so I just came up with that logo instead. I remember the TTC threaten lawsuit on one guy who made a fantasy map and he was forced to change all the colours and make other changes. I just wanted to avoid that, and plus one of the forumers here is from Metrolinx I think. But it really should say 'Greater Toronto Transportation Authority' there, instead of 'Toronto and area' (I couldn't use 'Greater Toronto Area' either since Hamilton is technically not part of the GTA).

ut it really should say 'Greater Toronto Transportation Authority' there, instead of 'Toronto and area' (I couldn't use 'Greater Toronto Area' either since Hamilton is technically not part of the GTA).

I can see an "H" in your logo as well, so it's all good... GTHTA

or we could try to use the Golden Horseshoe title... GHTA

Trying the describe the region's place in Ontario is has its own issues... South Central TA

Umm doady, I'm having a fair bit of trouble looking at your map/page. It doesn't seem like anyone else is having any problems, but whenever I open it on my Mac, it crashes my Safari, and when I opened it on my PC, it said it couldn't open the page.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm really curious as to what it looks like right now :(

TO Penguin: this map is the best representation of the Transit City / existing subway infrastructure I have seen. I think you are correct and the underground sections could be represented with a bit of a thicker line, however, also, since these lines do criss-cross with one another, they should be represented with designated colours, to avoide confusion.

I would really hope the TTC produces maps like this for when these lines are complete.

Perhaps someone with pull could submit this to TTC for reference?

Umm doady, I'm having a fair bit of trouble looking at your map/page. It doesn't seem like anyone else is having any problems, but whenever I open it on my Mac, it crashes my Safari, and when I opened it on my PC, it said it couldn't open the page.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm really curious as to what it looks like right now :(

It is a PDF so you need Adobe Reader. If you can't open it in the browser, try downloading it (Right click link -> Save Link As) and opening from the hard drive.

What are the most popular programs for making these maps? I've been meaning to try making a map with photoshop, but am pretty awful with that program in general and have difficulty scaling everything, so am curious to see if there are any other common options. Visio comes to mind for more 'schematic' themed maps. Is there any way you can export something from Google Earth/Maps as a jpeg?

Ok guys, here's the sixth version of my Transit City map!

Another nice map. One thing that I would do though is simplify the station naming. For example, I'd prefer if the current St. Patrick station was just called Dundas, or if the current Lawrence East station was just called Lawrence. Adding 200 stations only worsens this problem.

I find it more practical to just keep things simple, and name stations after the cross street. This means that people would have to start saying "let's meet at Dundas Station on the University Line", or simply "let's meet at University and Dundas".

Another nice map. One thing that I would do though is simplify the station naming. For example, I'd prefer if the current St. Patrick station was just called Dundas, or if the current Lawrence East station was just called Lawrence. Adding 200 stations only worsens this problem.

Two Dundas Stations? Should we also rename Dundas West station so that we can have three?

Personally, I feel that stations should be named after the neighborhood they are in. Most subway systems I know of follow that model.

I say rename St. Patrick station "Kensington Market". Makes perfect sense.

Oh, and while we're at it, rename Vaughan Corporate Centre "Suburban Wasteland."

^^ Maybe we could have temporary fad names for stations.

The stop at Jane and Finch would be "Not where you want to be." VCC would instead just be "Wasteland", Union would be "The Epicenter" and Kennedy would be "Stupid Transfer Station"

I like it :D

I find it ironic that duper chose St. Patrick Station to be renamed, when it is one of only a handful of stations in the system not named after a nearby intersecting street, but rather an old local ward name.

I couldn't use 'Greater Toronto Area' either since Hamilton is technically not part of the GTA).
For what it's worth, Metrolinx has been referring to it as the GTAH (Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton).

Niiice... This is the map we should be greated with at each Subway & TC station/stop as well as carried on each Subway / TC car.

For regular Streetcar and Bus routes, they can continue to use the Ride Guide fold out mess.

Back