News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

RER Downtown tunnel idea. I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon... maybe 50 years in the future.

This would allow RER customers to get much closer to their Downtown destinations, rather than having to transfer at the subway. I also added the Jane LRT in the west.

This would appear to duplicate much of the Relief Line route, but they would target very different markets. RER would be targeting longer distance commuters, likely with higher fares, less frequent trains on the branches and wider stop spacing. It wouldn't really duplicate the DRL anymore than the 401 duplicates Finch.
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.52.01 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.52.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.52.01 AM.png
    769.9 KB · Views: 576
Here's my east end map. Sheppard replaces RT route and provides connections to UTSC and Durham, and is no longer an abandoned stubway.
Eglinton hits Malvern.
Relief Line and SSE reach north, potentially into Markham.
Of course, I prefer full grade separated subway for all lines, but above ground wherever possible.

lqUWIeK.jpg

@RyanM12 Interesting proposal. I would change some of the east end subways to a larger LRT and BRT network to feed a lower number of subway trunk lines. I like your west end relief scheme, but I would not drop DRL west to King. Maybe we could have DRL west on Queen replace the 501 entirely and create a pedestrian mall on Queen; then extend the King transit mall to absorb whatever riders are displaced from Queen who do not end up using DRL west, optimizing both 501 and 504. Does your proposal include any changes to the 501 and 504? Are you replacing them entirely?

First of all, if the DRL replaces the 501, it can't be a pedestrian mall. We would need the now streetcar-free Queen to absorb cars from the other streetcar routes.
In my proposal, the 501 & 504 would have to exist with modified routes: 501 would run from Liberty Village east in a transit mall; 501 would run west of Bellwoods (Sunnyside would be a hub, picking up riders from Lakeshore/Queensway, as well as a new GO station).
But this way I think is a good compromise between the DRL routing options - since it's pretty much decided that RL east is coming across Queen, we can still get rapid transit to both Queen West and Liberty Village.

Ok, how are you going to do that? You can't expect to just ban cars on Queen, and then all those people will just take the train. They're just going to clog up surrounding streets. Especially if King stays a transit mall, Queen need to take those cars.

How would anyone build any of the fantasy suggestions on this thread? It's merely entry points for discussion as to what may be possible in the future.

Here's my western relief concept. In order to cover both Queen and King, I had it dip down to King past Bellwoods, similar to how the east will dip down to Unilever.
I think instead of hitting "Dufferin South", you'd want to do the exhibition grounds instead (convention centres, BMO field, Medieval times, night clubs, etc.).
DRLW.jpg

Attachments

• DRLW.jpg
    DRLW.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 693
How would anyone build any of the fantasy suggestions on this thread? It's merely entry points for discussion as to what may be possible in the future.

Fine but think of it this way. If you want a pedestrian mall on Queen, what's the point of DRL? Might as well keep surface transit, since there's no traffic to interfere.

I think instead of hitting "Dufferin South", you'd want to do the exhibition grounds instead (convention centres, BMO field, Medieval times, night clubs, etc.).
View attachment 129990

Possibly, but I'm thinking an upgraded GO RER might serve the area well enough with Exhibition GO station.

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.55 PM.pngHere's a random fantasy map I threw together in an afternoon while I was bored. What other items could be included just for fun?
Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.19 PM.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 542
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.39 PM.png
    751.5 KB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 7.35.55 PM.png
    753.4 KB · Views: 375
loool why is every 'new member' (including me) putting stuff on this thread. as for the relief line issue i would like to see it stay on queen and in the distant future have it serve dixon road or something via mt dennis (brt is probly a better solution for dixon-lawrence but u never know whats gonna happen in the long run). get rid of 501 and have 504 with branches at broadview and neville park on the east, sherway gardens (queensway), long branch and dundas west. make the king pilot permanent and build streetcar ROW on lakeshore and queensway and remove some stops to speed it up so its almost an lrt. in downtown reduce queen to 2 lanes and maybe bike lanes with some paralell parking every other block or something.

loool why is every 'new member' (including me) putting stuff on this thread.
I'm enjoying it. :)

I have some transit fantasy ideas I hope to map out but am waiting for the free time that holiday season provides. In the meantime, it makes for good reading to see what others are thinking.

I posted this in the Jane thread, thought I would repost here too.

I wonder if we can solve Humber Bay's transit problem by having the DRL dip south to Humber Bay, through the Kraft Plant and up Park Lawn Rd back to Queensway.

View attachment 130868

I tried to make the turns easy for the subway. My one hang-up is that ideally the Windemere stop would be at Queensway rather than Lakeshore, but I think reaching the Humber Bay is more than good enough compensation.

Back