News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I also tried my hand an vintage/art-deco-inspired poster with Sketchbook. I don't quite have that stark, line-less shading right, but I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt. Credit to Target (remember them?) for the art deco Parliament drawing from their one of their ads. I wouldn't have the graphical know-how to make something quite that intricate on my own!

Really like the map and the artwork is the cherry on top. Sort of reminds me of the posters used for the aerial gondola in the Don Valley idea a couple years ago.

Meh, I really dislike that map. For numerous reasons (it's got curves, but also sharp corners, and the angles are not set to any standard like 0,15,30,45). If barely a schematic why not just show to-scale? And it's been on Wiki for what seems like a decade. Who made it, can't they do better, who decided to have that as the TTC subway map for the globe to see? At least use the official TTC map.

Last edited:
Thanks!
The Rapibus BRT line was built towards the east back in 2013. It's been described as less than stellar at best, mostly because of the lack of right of way downtown, which is the only place where RoW was actually really needed. It's in the "eventually maybe" plans to convert it to LRT to ease some of the capacity problems which are already plaguing the system. That's actually (most of) the dark blue line on my map.

But since those $300M were spent in the east, it's actually the "turn" for the west to get rapid transit infrastructure to alleviate the capacity problems with the existing bus system.

Meh, I really dislike that map. For numerous reasons (it's got curves, but also sharp corners, and the angles are not set to any standard like 0,15,30,45). If barely a schematic why not just show to-scale? And it's been on Wiki for what seems like a decade. Who made it, can't they do better, who decided to have that as the TTC subway map for the globe to see? At least use the official TTC map.
The official map is copyrighted.

Wikipedia prefers user-generated maps similar to the official maps, so that it can be used in Wikimedia Commons.

Yes, Downtown Toronto could use at least 3 more subway lines (or 2 U lines). However, there's something we have to deal with: Politics.

Draw this out! What do you have in mind?

Something like this (thick red are Streetcar ROWs):
TTC Downtown.jpg

TTC Downtown with GO.jpg

Attachments

• TTC Downtown.jpg
    TTC Downtown.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • TTC Downtown with GO.jpg
    TTC Downtown with GO.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 1,103
LATEST RTN MAP 122717.jpg

Saved it in JPEG so everybody can see it better...

Attachments

• LATEST RTN MAP 122717.jpg
    LATEST RTN MAP 122717.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 810
@Aylmer Since I'm rarely on SSP anymore, nice to see your post! No longer an optimist? ;)

It's a nice map & would certainly provide good coverage for Gatineau. The downtown loop and how it connects to downtown Ottawa is certainly overdue.

What's happening with your Line E in the east? It definitely seems like overkill to send LRT all the way to Buckingham, but I notice that the line's width changes - is that something you'd consider a later phase, or have as BRT?

@Aylmer Since I'm rarely on SSP anymore, nice to see your post! No longer an optimist? ;)

It's a nice map & would certainly provide good coverage for Gatineau. The downtown loop and how it connects to downtown Ottawa is certainly overdue.

What's happening with your Line E in the east? It definitely seems like overkill to send LRT all the way to Buckingham, but I notice that the line's width changes - is that something you'd consider a later phase, or have as BRT?

It would've been a while - I changed that years ago!

I was trying to represent reduced frequency with a reduced width. I may have sacrificed clarity for simplicity, whoops!
My rationale is that the nearly-unused railway that runs between Ottawa and Buckingham could be used by a handful of hybrid electric-diesel LRVs at minimal expense. The current long-term plan calls for BRT to be built beside the tracks all the way out to Buckingham anyways. I'd assume that it would less expensive and more practical to make use of the existing rails plus a few sidings and platforms rather than build a completely new road alignment over the same distance. The service wouldn't be comparable to urban LRT - I'm thinking 20-30-minute headways on a single track with basic but comfortable platforms. Karlsruhe's tram-train network would be a good example:

6a00d83454714d69e20120a6005e64970b-800wi

Back