News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The arrogance of Bob Kinnear is astounding. I don't know what to say. I really hope the province makes the TTC an essential service to put an end to shit like this. That said...

I hear stories like this in unionized work-places from time to time. What's odd, is that I don't hear stories like this much from non-unionized workplaces. It's almost like knowing that the union is going to react to this stuff, almost encourages management to be much more confrontational with staff, rather than having to be responsible.

Not saying this as pro-union or anti-union - just an interesting dynamic.
My experience is just the opposite. My last job was at a medium size engineering firm (non-unionized) that treated its employees like garbage. They'd hire unqualified people and fire them right before Christmas. The president played his employees and managers off each other, kind of a divide-and-conquer strategy. He'd make a decision and backtrack on it without telling you, or tell your immediate supervisor something different. We didn't have sick days or a dental plan, and if we worked after 5 as we were expected to, we worked for free. And that's barely scratching the surface. The turnover rate is so bad that barely two years after I left, the entire workforce I knew has quit. There are other firms like that too, a couple places where some of my friends at Waterloo had work terms were even worse.

Now I work in a unionized environment where the management treat their employees with respect and people generally get along. It's like night and day. One of my former co-workers from the engineering firm got a job where I work now and we often annoy our co-workers with horror stories.

I work in a unionized environment, though I am non-unionized. I work for a very good employer. Most unions are not like ATU Local 113, which is one reason why I am generally pro-union. But these guys are nuts. Afraid of assaults? How about some respect for your customers? Not saying the drivers are bad, I generally have a good experience with them, and actually feel that this has been better in the last year or two (collectors, who could easily be replaced by people making half their wage easy are another story), but this union is nuts.

They lost all hope of respect with the public, they jeopardized a damned sweet deal, and now even lefties are crying for blood.

Worth a million? I can't even laugh at this absurdity anymore.

Strike to be over by Monday morning!

Despite the short notice of a strike, it should be over by Monday morning. The Liberal government is scrambling to have the back-to-work legislation introduced tomorrow with a rare Sunday sitting in the Legislature, sources told the Star early this morning.

Government House Leader Michael Bryant has been advising Progressive Conservatives and New Democrats that an order in council will be passed today, clearing the way for tomorrow's session.

A draft of the bill should be available today to give MPPs in all three parties time to vet it.

The Sunday passage of the law would guarantee that Monday morning commuters will not be inconvenienced

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/418711

Louroz

Good to hear Louroz. I hope the NDP will recognize the difference between real, sane, labour unions and ATU Local 113 and allow legislation to pass without difficulty.

We didn't have sick days or a dental plan, and if we worked after 5 as we were expected to, we worked for free.
Sounds pretty disfunctional - and rather odd, given how hard it is to hire engineers these days. But in Ontario, the government exempted Engineers from overtime pay - it's pretty normal to work a few extra hours without pay; salaries are built around that assumption. But the benefits do seem very below average.

Having worked in a Waterloo-based consulting engineering firm for over a decade, I must say though, I'm amazed how many junior staff have no idea how the industry works, or even what their own benefits are - and have some very narrow views that they have to work themselves to death, which generally are not true; I find there are a lot of martyrs out there.

Don't be surprise to see TTC class as an essential service after this stunt.

Asking the Province to declare TTC an essential service is on council agenda this week and this strike will be the swing vote now.

If the Province was to declare TTC an essential service, then look at other systems in Ontario been class as essential service also.

It would no surprised me to see the sign contract by the commissioner torn up and revised for some of the goods TTC gave away.

MT contract is up in Sept and if they get the same clause as ATU 113, the cities could be looking at paying double or more than the current 3% raise. In the end, we the riders will be looking at some real large fare hikes over the next 3 years and beyond.

I have worked for union and non-union company's and found most non union company's better to work for.

I believe a person should be paid what they are worth. Why should I bust my ass off to get the same rate of pay as someone who under perform or goof up more that should be shown the door in the first place but cannot, because we are in a Union? Same applies to non-union company's.

Why should TTC pay their staff to fix someone else mistake out of their pocket when it supposed to be done by the company responsible for it under contract in the first place?

I guess we have to take that new product we just bought that has a problem now to someone else to fix the problem that was caused by the manufactures in the first place and have pay to have it fix when it would cause nothing to get the manufacture to either fix it or replace at their cost.

Times are changing and need need to change. Otherwise we will have nothing at the end of the day.

This is ridiculous. My bike needs repairs, and the TTC is on strike. De-unionize the bastards, this is unacceptable.

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/strike2008_faq.html

IMPORTANT TTC INFORMATION

The following information will be useful to existing Wheel-Trans registrants, to drivers looking for parking spaces, and to April Metropass holders.

Limited Wheel-Trans Service will be available for life sustaining medical treatment only. This includes dialysis treatment.

All TTC commuter parking lots will be open. The 13,981 parking spaces will be available free on a first come, first served basis. Drivers are asked to park in the marked spaces.

For customers who purchased an April Metropass, Weekly Pass or GTA Pass, credit adjustments will be announced when the strike is over.

Here's a comment I found:

the poor riders who didn't get off on Summerhill Station had to endure the ride nonstop all the way up to Finch Station! I got off on time and had to walk all the way up to Eglinton to where i live. I don't care about high gas prices anymore. I'll [T]ake [T]he [C]ar, even if the system was to run in the morning

See, comments like that are fine.

Comments like "______ should be shot" are not helpful.

did they stop the buses/streetcars at midnight and tell everyone to get out?

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/disruptions_current.htm

Subway/RT Service Disruption Notice: Friday, April 25, 2008

A section of the Bloor-Danforth Subway service is currently shut down from Kipling Station to Kennedy Station. Shuttle buses are in service.

A section of the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway service is currently shut down from Downsview Station to Finch Station. Shuttle buses are in service.

A section of the Scarborough RT service is currently shut down from Kennedy Station to McCowan Station. Shuttle buses are in service.

A section of the Sheppard Subway service is currently shut down from Yonge Station to Don Mills Station. Shuttle buses are in service.
I love how they couldn't even be bothered to take the shuttle buses part off those notices. Or, you know, they could have just said "Everything is shut down, period".

Back