News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

True but there’s been plenty of terrible transit planning just to get a few votes despite the extra billion here or there. I’m not saying it’s right but this is the Pandora’s box which has been opened building subways to nowhere.
Of the six major transit projects Metrolinx has underway in Toronto, I'd say only the West Eglinton subway is really an extension to nowhere. The other 5 should all see decent usage.

Outside of a few silly HR types, the exact opposite in my experience. Everyone uses whatever excuse they can to get more wfh. And we're facing the same issue with space.
Same. My workplace/team is a good mix of collaborative and individual work, and pretty much the whole team prefers to work from home. And honestly, collaboration is often easier remotely as MS Teams actually works quite well, vs wrangling room bookings, iffy screen sharing technology in those rooms, people showing up 5-10 minutes late to a meeting because they got stopped in the hallway to chat about something else. For the 10-20 people I work with most, collaborating is often a matter of asking if they have some time by IM, and if yes calling them. If you need a third person, just add them in. Rather than the office impulse to book a meeting next week.

Of the six major transit projects Metrolinx has underway in Toronto, I'd say only the West Eglinton subway is really an extension to nowhere. The other 5 should all see decent usage.

The Pearson Transit Hub, the eventual terminal for the Eglinton West LRT, is not nowhere. The airport is undergoing expansion, and rather than build a larger parking garage/lot (likely moving the airport up in rank for spacious parking, which they don't want), they want people to use public transit to get to and from Pearson. Many would be employees, not just air travellers. UPX is currently one mass transit access, but they want more, starting with Line 5.

From link.
1674094972927.png

I’ll amend my comments from subways to nowhere to subways where ROW LRTs could have worked just as well.

Maybe because advocating alone isn't enough. Subway would be a money pit with very few riders.
Why do you think ridership would be low? Most people drive because getting to kipling, paying for parking is a pain, then still need to subay and change vehicles.

I think you are trying to misrepresent your anecdote with a general consensus.

Now whether or not this will continue is another question.
I have done no such thing. From the offset I have admitted that what I am saying is extremely anecdotal, but that's also kinda the point. There are individual industries where there are clear advantages of working in office, and even if we assume that ridership goes down post COVID, we still have a duty to improve our transit to make these trips convenient. In reality though, ridership won't be 25% of prepandemic levels (I mean, I think GO already passed 50% prepandemic ridership during weekdays). Even if we assume people only go to work 2-3 times a week, considering our population growth we will likely hit 100% pre-pandemic ridership before most of our transit projects open up (look mom, I'm tying back to the original point of this discussion!).

The Pearson Transit Hub, the eventual terminal for the Eglinton West LRT, is not nowhere.
Hey, I'm just going by the demand number that Metrolinx published.

Pearson Transit Hub is science fiction really at this point. It will have to have more than UPE and some GO buses to become something. I'd expect more transfers at Renforth than Pearson!

Why do you think ridership would be low? Most people drive because getting to kipling, paying for parking is a pain, then still need to subay and change vehicles.
Ridership will be high at MCC stations but the stations in between MCC and Kipling won't see that many riders. Ridership is especially low if we consider the cost of this project would be more than $10 billion.

Ridership will be high at MCC stations but the stations in between MCC and Kipling won't see that many riders. Ridership is especially low if we consider the cost of this project would be more than $10 billion.
At the moment.

With many upcoming developments that involve replacing the parking lots and single-story single-use buildings with higher mixed-use density, the ridership is bound to go up. Especially with lower parking requirements. Even Honeydale Mall will be replaced, along with Cedarvale and Sherway residential expansion development.

I'm not in Mississauga all that often, nor do I follow the city much......but...... I don't see much evidence that Mississauga is tackling or even debating the potential for densification that seems to be assumed...... Mississauga's version of the Yellow Belt doesn't seem to be threatened.

Frankly, I see more density going in along Bronte Road in Oakville and Milton.

Am I missing something? I'm eager to be corrected on this one.

- Paul

I'm not in Mississauga all that often, nor do I follow the city much......but...... I don't see much evidence that Mississauga is tackling or even debating the potential for densification that seems to be assumed...... Mississauga's version of the Yellow Belt doesn't seem to be threatened.

Frankly, I see more density going in along Bronte Road in Oakville and Milton.

Am I missing something? I'm eager to be corrected on this one.

- Paul
I think people see it's very rare for densification projects to be a net benefit for residents.

If the density isn't coming, the business case for Line 2 or even GO Milton is that much poorer.

- Paul

Line 2, may be. But the Milton line would perform at least as well as LSW, LSE, and the Brampton line even with the present level of density. The areas those other 3 lines pass through aren't more dense than Mississauga, and yet the demand for rides is robust, and is arguably limited by the frequency of trains rather than a shortage of customers.

Back