News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A narrow, useless shoulder, on a street with curbs? What would be the point? Besides, bike lanes are familiar enough now for people to know what they are.

It bugs me that they fully reconstructed the street, but didn't put in separated bike lanes. It could've been a real showcase of a complete street. As for the bike lane symbol, it should be there, as it is a bike lane, and if anything, it might make slightly fewer people park or stop in it.

Otherwise Cherry St looks good, can't wait to ride the streetcar down, and hopefully one day, down to the Port Lands...

A narrow, useless shoulder, on a street with curbs? What would be the point? Besides, bike lanes are familiar enough now for people to know what they are.

Whats the point of the white line on the side of the Gardiner then, where there is clearly no space for a shoulder? Should that also be a bike lane?

The diamonds and bike symbol make it an official bike lane. No symbol would lead to liability issues if a cyclist was riding in the 'bike lane' and a driver wasn't aware that this was a bike lane.

The only other option would be signs above the lanes, suspended from polls. I prefer the pavement treatment over that.

Yet, they all have that symbol. I don't see what the issue is? I will say though that a green paint treatment (at least at intersections) is also preferable.

Absolutely, positively not. Lanes should not be painted at all - it becomes a deathtrap in the wet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Absolutely, positively not. Lanes should not be painted at all - it becomes a deathtrap in the wet.

I guess you're not a fan of the solid green recently added to lanes on Wellesley; or is the thick rubber adhesive stuff different than paint?

As a biker 8 months of the year, I can't say I've ever noticed that.

I can't account for that. But as someone who used to bike 12 months a year, and who has been riding for over 20 years, I have noticed that paint is noticeably slicker than asphalt or concrete when wet.

I guess you're not a fan of the solid green recently added to lanes on Wellesley; or is the thick rubber adhesive stuff different than paint?

I haven't ridden down that way since the green was added, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

On Friday the TTC started to rip up the tracks on King Street at Sumach Street and are starting to construct the turn-off and the track heading down Sumach to the junction of Eastern and Cherry. (The track on Cherry itself up to the north side of Eastern - except the loop at the rail bridge, which won't be completed until after the Pan-Am Games - is already finished.) Though this turn-off will not be used until 2016 it is a good idea to make it now because King is already blocked at the Queen Street bridge so traffic will really only be inconvenienced once.

Track was put in along King this past week with a wee bit of the Sumach turn-off sticking out. At the pace they are going I could see the King section done this week or next. The portion of Sumach to Eastern is torn up in its entirety. So not much longer until the entire track here is done.

They are making good progress but one of the guys told me that they do not expect King to be back to normal for 2+ weeks more as they want the concrete to cure fully and they still have to redo the sidewalks and repave the asphalt part of the road. Of course, though the tracks will be in place at King and down Sumach/Cherry the line is not opening until 2016 because the bottom half of the loop at the south end is not finished and will not be finished until after Pan-Am Games.

They are making good progress but one of the guys told me that they do not expect King to be back to normal for 2+ weeks more as they want the concrete to cure fully and they still have to redo the sidewalks and repave the asphalt part of the road. Of course, though the tracks will be in place at King and down Sumach/Cherry the line is not opening until 2016 because the bottom half of the loop at the south end is not finished and will not be finished until after Pan-Am Games.
Hopefully they are finished by May 11, as the current King closure is creating a traffic nightmare in PM rush with northbound gridlock on Parliament, and eastbound slowness on Queen from Parliament to River. It's currently quicker to walk from King/Parliament to Queen/River than to take a 504.

I know the plan is not to finish the loop until 2016 and then start service, but given how little of the loop requires track, it's a shame they don't put in some temporary track for removal during the games, and start short-turning 504s down there, given how many spend forever currently short-turning around Parliament/Dundas.

Hopefully they are finished by May 11, as the current King closure is creating a traffic nightmare in PM rush with northbound gridlock on Parliament, and eastbound slowness on Queen from Parliament to River. It's currently quicker to walk from King/Parliament to Queen/River than to take a 504.

I know the plan is not to finish the loop until 2016 and then start service, but given how little of the loop requires track, it's a shame they don't put in some temporary track for removal during the games, and start short-turning 504s down there, given how many spend forever currently short-turning around Parliament/Dundas.

Not having temporary tracks until the games is one of TTC dumbs thinking of not getting the line up and running to show the people of a new route and to service to the area. With the number of visitors to the area today, it would save them time walking from King St which is now Parliament. It would show future buyers what they will see when they move in, in 2016.

It would help with short turning of cars.

I have said far too long that a good coat of asphalt for the sidewalk and the loop is the best way to go and the line could be in service by June this year.

Back