News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

They are going to wait 2 years to use this? Makes no sense.
I think the decision not to complete the loop and thus no run cars on Cherry until 2016 was one made by Infrastructure Ontario - who are responsible for the Pan-Am Village - and Waterfront Toronto not the TTC. It does seem rather silly as there is now more and more traffic going to that area and the TTC really need a short-turn location further east than Church Street.

I think the decision not to complete the loop and thus no run cars on Cherry until 2016 was one made by Infrastructure Ontario - who are responsible for the Pan-Am Village - and Waterfront Toronto not the TTC. It does seem rather silly as there is now more and more traffic going to that area and the TTC really need a short-turn location further east than Church Street.

I had always envisioned using River, Queen, King, Parliament as a short turn loop. it seemed like such an easy and short connection to make. I'm sure however that others on this forum will know more about why this is a bad/non-feasible solution or why it just hasn't happened. I don't see Cherry street being very practical as a short turn for the 501 car if the TTC plans to use this as well.

I had always envisioned using River, Queen, King, Parliament as a short turn loop. it seemed like such an easy and short connection to make. I'm sure however that others on this forum will know more about why this is a bad/non-feasible solution or why it just hasn't happened. I don't see Cherry street being very practical as a short turn for the 501 car if the TTC plans to use this as well.
I too had wondered about using the new River Street link at King/Queen as loop of some kind but was told that the TTC has plans for a new loop on Broadview just north of Queen (the car park on east side). This loop was supposed to replace the one at parliament Street the City sold off about 8 years ago but, of course, fixing that up is not in budget... (I doubt that the Cherry Street loop will be used by the 501, they will supposedly send every x 504 eastbound car to Cherry rather than Broadview so it will be 'branch' of the 504.)

Any timeline for this new Broadview loop? Also, any push-back from area businesses due to reduction in parking? I've heard nothing of it to be honest.
Far down the list like Park Lawn and would be surprised to see it before 2020.

It would help the 501, 504 and 506.

Any timeline for this new Broadview loop? Also, any push-back from area businesses due to reduction in parking? I've heard nothing of it to be honest.
They've already purchased land, and built a new parking lot to replace the spots that would be lost by the loop. Though if they wait too much longer, they'll still get complaints, as everyone will forget why they built the new lot.

Where's the new lot?
Details of the transfer of the Green P lot on Broadview to the TTC are at: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...April_6_2011/Reports/PARLIAMENT_LOOP_LAND.pdf Not sure where the Green P are supposed to move to - if the TTC ever actually uses the lot for a loop. (Though a turning loop somewhere in that area is a good idea, this lot is really not the best location as - the new long - streetcars coming out or into it would block Broadview.)

Progress since the weekend though I guess held up for the last few days due to the weather. King tracks in their proper location with some concrete poured to keep them in place. Concrete base poured southward on Sumach where the turns will take place.

Turn sections have been put in. Sorry for the poor quality.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,159
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,157
A couple of photos from this morning (it's become quicker to walk down King street in rush hour, than take a streetcar from Broadview to Parliament).

BmkTra_CQAA2iF1.jpg
BmkTaQICUAAcZ5l.jpg

Back