News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

When is the work at River set to be done so the King car can stop turning at Parliament?

The diversion is because of sewer work under the King/Queen bridge - the TTC (sensibly for a change) moved the Sumach/Cherry work forward to have it happen while the street was already closed off. The TTC site says: "December 4 to end of August 2014. Additional sewer installation work around the King Street East bridge, east of River Street, will require a continued closure of King Street East." Of course it has been repeatedly extended....

The diversion is because of sewer work under the King/Queen bridge - the TTC (sensibly for a change) moved the Sumach/Cherry work forward to have it happen while the street was already closed off. The TTC site says: "December 4 to end of August 2014. Additional sewer installation work around the King Street East bridge, east of River Street, will require a continued closure of King Street East." Of course it has been repeatedly extended....
The city however has signage up that says until Fall 2014; which if correct would push it even later.

The city however has signage up that says until Fall 2014; which if correct would push it even later.

I guess they are tired of the WT/IO constant changes of completion date and their scepticism may well be justified!

I noticed today that they have started to fence off the streetcar tracks (and thus the Pan-Am Village) on east side of Cherry just south of Eastern. I assume this is in preparation for the long-delayed reopening of Cherry Street. I suspect it will not be reopened until GO finishes their work at the bridge - this was supposed to be done a while ago but, like the one on Lower Sherbourne, is still ongoing and looks to me like a few weeks (at least) from completion. (I heard yesterday that the Lower Sherbourne one will not be done until July 1 and they will then start on the one at Parliament.) They have also taken the plastic covering off the Railway Police building (it looked quite 'new') and are working on putting new windows into the Canary Restaurant/Palace Street School building.

May 10
What A joke for fencing off the area for the game, as it doesn't come close to what I saw in London for the Olympic Games. You can drive anything through the hoarding to get into the village.

I see Toronto Hydro has the intersection close as I expected before construction started. The Hydro pole and Chambers in the old Island area still have to be remove to allow the east-south track to be finish off. Otherwise, the intersection is ready to reopen now along with Sumach.

The remaining section of Track work between King and Eastern should be finish by early June and has no effect on traffic once it start running.
I expect to see Cherry St open at the same time as Sumach considering Cherry been ready almost a year now.
14165908395_ee469309c1_b.jpg

14186004413_3e7e9c9d52_b.jpg

13979212678_305807ae1b_b.jpg

13979216750_d48a42e154_b.jpg

13979219600_a2c9b71f57_b.jpg

13979221838_64b4692920_b.jpg

14142700906_aa2d262b51_b.jpg

May 10
What A joke for fencing off the area for the game, as it doesn't come close to what I saw in London for the Olympic Games. You can drive anything through the hoarding to get into the village.

1) It's construction, not necessarily for the games.

2) It looks more substantial than what I saw in Vancouver during the Olympics

3) We don't have the history here of terrorism that England does.

4) The Pan-Am games are no where near the terrorist target of the Olympics, both in terms of prominence, and in terms of the nations involved.

Tracks to Sumach (the turn) are done. A little more roadwork at the intersection remains and then it can open. The section from King to Eastern is the last link.

Had a look at King St and a shocker that Hydro was on time to remove that pole so the track and road could be finish off.

The only thing remaining is the paving of the road as well a small section on the north side of King.

They have the first of a number of retaining walls on the east side built and ready to start forming of the ROW.

Over all, King is ready for both direction traffic and the 504 when the bridge get finish.

A forest of poles at that intersection now between streetcar, lights, electricity. What a mess.
It always was a forest of poles. I count 16 at the interesection in the 2013 Streetview, and about the same in 2009. It's hard to imagine there's MORE now, other for the catenary on Sumac.

Back