News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A streetcar named desire: Levy

TORONTO - It gives a whole new meaning to hugging the road.

Frequent TTC user Chris VanKeeffe couldn’t believe his eyes when he hopped aboard the 501 streetcar around 5 p.m. two weeks ago and found the driver otherwise occupied.

He wasn’t texting. Or reading. Or smoking a cigarette. Or preparing to stop at an ATM.

The driver was canoodling with a “very attractive” woman VanKeeffe surmised was his girlfriend.

The retired Riverdale resident said the ponytailed young woman - who was dressed in khaki short shorts and a black top with a huge gold bangle on her arm - had her body so close to the driver, she appeared at first to be sitting on his lap.

Her hips were planted so tightly against him, the driver, who seemed to be in his early thirties, had a direct view of her cleavage - and not the entrance to the car - every time he turned to face her, he said.

In fact, she was so busy trying to make kissy-face with him, she blocked his view of the right-hand mirror, VanKeeffe said.

Whenever passengers would get on, she’d move away to allow them to pay their fares. But the minute they were done, she’d reattach herself to the the driver “not missing a beat at all”, he said.

Throughout his five-stop trip from Greenwood Ave. to Pape where he got off, VanKeeffe watched from three rows back as she stroked the back of the driver’s neck and heard them talking and giggling affectionately

“These two were locked all the way to Pape … both of them seemed oblivious to their surroundings,” he said, noting the passengers in the half-full streetcar were all shaking their heads.

“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

Nevertheless when he got off the car, he watched them continue that way as Streetcar 4237 headed west into the “disappearing sunset.”

While he didn’t have a cellphone camera or BlackBerry to record the incident, he did call TTC chairman Karen Stintz right away and caught her in her office.

This is where the story of the Streetcar Named Desire gets even better.

The next day, VanKeeffe was contacted by TTC officials, who told him any video footage of the incident from the streetcar could not be used (!) to implicate the driver due to privacy issues.

He was told, apparently, that under the union contract these privacy rights have been in place for 20 years.

“I got the impression they were afraid to challenge it,” he said.

VanKeeffe said he was encouraged to either go down to his local police station and lay a charge of careless driving against the operator - or to testify at an arbitration hearing against the driver and be cross-examined by a union lawyer.

“I was absolutely shocked (with their response),” he said, calling the privacy provision “archaic.”

New CEO Andy Byford said they are aware of the issue and are “actively” pursuing an investigation. He provided no further details.

TTC chairman Karen Stintz confirmed that she’d asked for an investigation into the incident after VanKeeffe contacted her office.

She said they have negotiated a policy with the unions that any video taken on a TTC vehicle is not to be used to investigate their own employees — just incidences of assault against drivers or service disruptions.

Stintz suggested VanKeeffe file a Freedom of Information (FOI) request with the TTC to try to get access to the video.

Asked whether she sees anything wrong with that, she said that’s a discussion they need to have with the unions.

Efforts to reach ATU local 113 boss Bob Kinnear through his ‘gatekeeper’ Bill Reno were not successful Wednesday.

Still it all makes sense now.

It’s little wonder Kinnear and Co. have been so upset with the actions of their drivers being captured on cellphone cameras and BlackBerrys in the past two years.

Seeing as the TTC management won’t challenge this archaic ruling, at least there are vigilant commuters who will do so, indirectly.

As for the driver and his brazen gal pal, here’s my advice to them: Next time, get a room.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/29/a-streetcar-named-desire-levy

I'm generally pro-union, but this policy is utter garbage and plays right into the hands of those who are anti-union. It is bad enough that unions have the perception of defending bad employees, but preventing the employer from reviewing security footage to determine if the allegations against an employee are true or not is not going to help their cause in the public eye. The drivers know that they are being recorded, so unless the union paid for these cameras, there is absolutely no logical reason why the TTC cannot look at that footage.

Of course, this assumes that SAL's reporting is accurate. I can understand the TTC not reviewing security footage to monitor an employee unless a complaint was made or they have reason to believe that he is not doing his job properly (doing so otherwise would be a tremendous waste of resources), but with a complaint made being barred from reviewing evidence which could convict or acquit a driver because the union says so is completely asinine.

Really, quoting a Sue Ann Levy article? The woman is a pathological liar. Even if true on this occasion, she's not worth the time, as she's told far too many lies in the past.

It would be unfair to use CCTV to investigate and discipline workers, on the TTC or elsewhere. Everybody has the right to some privacy. Under our existing privacy rules, if CCTV is being used for one purpose (detecting vandalism and assaults) then it is not permitted to use the footage for another purpose (disciplining workers). This is NOT about the Union, it's about whether we will accept Big Brother in all our lives.

www.ipc.on.ca/images/Resources/video-e.pdf

It would be unfair to use CCTV to investigate and discipline workers, on the TTC or elsewhere. Everybody has the right to some privacy. Under our existing privacy rules, if CCTV is being used for one purpose (detecting vandalism and assaults) then it is not permitted to use the footage for another purpose (disciplining workers). This is NOT about the Union, it's about whether we will accept Big Brother in all our lives.

www.ipc.on.ca/images/Resources/video-e.pdf

So this means that it is the publics job to photograph any TTC employee who is breaking the rules and distribute it to the media. If there is no internal discipline, then we must rely on the public

I really hate to use the Sun again, but I haven't seen this anywhere else:

Held 'hostage' by TTC driver, passenger says

BY JENNY YUEN ,TORONTO SUN
FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2012 06:25 PM EST

TORONTO - It only took one “jackass” to halt a TTC bus.

A passenger on the 192 Airport Rocket bus early Tuesday morning said he and five others were “held captive” for 40 minutes by the driver.

The delay happened after the transit employee heard someone utter, “You’re such a jackass” and thought it was directed at him, according to the passenger.

“We thought he was joking, but he wouldn’t let us off the bus,” said the 64-year-old man, who didn’t wish to be identified.

“The whole ordeal took well over an hour before we were let off the bus and that’s because the police were present. The whole incident was ridiculous,” he added Wednesday.

The dust-up began shortly after the bus left Pearson airport’s Terminal 3 around 1 a.m. Two female flight attendants were onboard and began to banter with the driver when one of the woman jokingly said the remark to the other, the man recalled.

That’s when the driver pulled the bus over on the shoulder of the southbound Hwy. 427.

“He then called somebody and said he was being abused by the passenger,” he said. “We’re all just sitting there looking at one another like, ‘What’s happening here?’ The stewardess, who was nowhere in his face, said it was a misunderstanding. And he said, ‘Now, she’s in my face.’”

The passenger suggested the driver take them to Kipling station and sort the mess out there with his supervisor, but the TTC employee claimed he was too stressed, he said.

“He was out of control,” the man said. “He stood in front of the door. No one was getting off that bus.”

The man missed his connection to Etobicoke and ended up having to walk 2 1/2 hours home.

The TTC said there will be not disciplinary action against the operator.

“The individual who filed a complaint boarded the bus,” said TTC spokesman Danny Nicholson. “The fare box was jammed or broken and he advised her to pay her fare at the subway station. For some reason, she asked for a transfer, but we only give transfers out when you pay your fare. And she apparently called him a ‘jackass.’ He claims he was verbally assaulted.”

Nicholson said the driver called transit control and normally, the driver would have moved the bus to a location where passengers could get off, but because it was on the highway, that was not possible.

The head of the union that represents TTC workers said transit employees aren’t getting overly sensitive — the public is.

“This seems to be the popular thing these days — any altercation or exchange between our people is immediately reported to the newspapers like it’s somehow news,” said Bob Kinnear, president of Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/21/held-hostage-by-ttc-driver-passenger-says

Assuming this article is accurate, this is not acceptable in my opinion. First, these passengers paid for a service, and just because you are having a bad day doesn't mean you can forgo your job requirements and not do your job. Transit needs to have some basis of reliability, and if they are going to sit idle (pun intended) and not do anything when a driver refuses to do his job, then what is its point?

Secondly, this line connects to the airport, an international hub to the world. How many tourists and business people now have their entire perceptions of Toronto shattered because of this jackass? 'This is supposed to be one of the prime transit systems in Canada?' is what they could be thinking.

If I may bring out my inner-Ford, if this were the private sector these passengers would at least receive a refund for their trip. The benefits of customer retention and avoiding bad PR would more than outweigh the few bucks in lost fare revenue. Actually, this kind of idiocy is what Ford campaigned against, I would like to hear his opinion on the matter. If some TTC management isn't going to do anything, perhaps those who proclaim customer service like Stintz and Byford can get involved and give this driver the stress leave he apparently needs so much.

I bet if someone's cell camera was running this driver would be in much hotter water than he is in now...

Self promotion or public relations is still not much of a feature for the TTC. I wanted to get a calendar of the TTC's streetcars or even just its vehicles in general, no such luck.

The Market Street Railway (San Francisco/Muni) has its own website (at this link), where one can order a calendar from their selection of goods.

2013%20calendar%20cover.jpg

2013%20calendar%20back%20cover.jpg

Not so the TTC. The TTC needs a better public relations department, if there is one now, its not doing a good job.

The words "good public relations" and "TTC" do not go together! Every time I've tried to comment or complain they make it damn near impossible to contact them, and seldom did I ever get a response. Granted, driving a street car or bus is not that easy dealing with the full force of our traffic and the crazies that roam our streets (I'm one of them! Lol!), but if they can't properly handle the public, they really shouldn't be doing the job. After pulling a double shift at two different hospitals, the last thing I needed was a street car that 20 minutes late, while you're waiting in -20 wind chill temps, only to be greeted by a rude driver full of attitude. I actually saw one of these pricks yell at some poor old lady because she didn't have enough money for the street car. He cut ally yelled at her to get off the street car. The worst was it was a packed street car, and I was the only one that offered any help (gotta love Torontonians). I paid her fare, and this A hole driver said, and I quote "aren't you a sucker?". I can't repeat what I said to him, but suffice it to say I almost made him cry, but not before taking his picture with my cell, getting his name, and sending an email to the TTC describing exactly what happened, and guess what happened? I got a four line email defending his actions as appropriate? Huh? WTF? That was the last time I took the TTC, the next day I bought my car, that was over three years ago, I don't care how bad the traffic is, anything is better then the TTC!

The words "good public relations" and "TTC" do not go together! Every time I've tried to comment or complain they make it damn near impossible to contact them, and seldom did I ever get a response. Granted, driving a street car or bus is not that easy dealing with the full force of our traffic and the crazies that roam our streets (I'm one of them! Lol!), but if they can't properly handle the public, they really shouldn't be doing the job. After pulling a double shift at two different hospitals, the last thing I needed was a street car that 20 minutes late, while you're waiting in -20 wind chill temps, only to be greeted by a rude driver full of attitude. I actually saw one of these pricks yell at some poor old lady because she didn't have enough money for the street car. He cut ally yelled at her to get off the street car. The worst was it was a packed street car, and I was the only one that offered any help (gotta love Torontonians). I paid her fare, and this A hole driver said, and I quote "aren't you a sucker?". I can't repeat what I said to him, but suffice it to say I almost made him cry, but not before taking his picture with my cell, getting his name, and sending an email to the TTC describing exactly what happened, and guess what happened? I got a four line email defending his actions as appropriate? Huh? WTF? That was the last time I took the TTC, the next day I bought my car, that was over three years ago, I don't care how bad the traffic is, anything is better then the TTC!
Trust me, lots of us are right there with ya. I feel like all it's going to take is one more bad experience and I'll just stop taking it.

Not all drivers are bad. But I admit, I've seen some bad attitude TTC drivers. I don't bother to complain either because it seems like a waste of time. It's not going anywhere. It will be filed away somewhere in boonie land. You either suck it up or stop taking the TTC. I think it will take a lot to change the system and it's not going to happen any time soon or even much later. As long as they feel the Union is protecting them, their jobs are secured. They will only change if their job is on the line.

What a ridiculous reason to buy a car ... sorry I'm not attacking you personally but I'm so sick and tired of stories along these lines, you are not the first; If you bought a car because you don't like the bad service on certain routes ... I completely understand ... but if one incident with an admittedly rude driver is all it took, that's not logical.

You know why I'm going out of my way to reply ? I've had several occasions where I've met the drivers that are the complete opposite of what you are describing, extremely friendly, open to talking about anything, and went out of their way to help folks who needed assistance. I'm not going to make a general comment like there are always a couple of bad apples, because maybe there are more then there should be on the TTC, that hasn't been my experience though, I've met more courteous drivers then rude ones by large and far.

Regarding the TTC's response ... well, if he yelled at her I hope they mentioned that wasn't the correct thing to do ... but otherwise ... he did the right thing ! Seriously, why should he let someone on who didn't pay, no matter who it is and for whatever reason (unless safety was at question) ! It say right on the fair box that operators CANNOT PAY !

If I came to your job and asked you to do something that could get you fired, would you ? Granted I hope that wouldn't get him fired, but it clearly states operators cannot do that.

Good on you for helping her out, I've done that on a couple occasions. I agree his comment was very rude so by no means am I condoning that.

Actually, I had been thinking about buying a car for months before this incident. Previous to this I had sold my car years ago and decided to take public transit to avoid traffic and try to save money, but this was the straw that broke the proverbial camels back. I've encountered one too many cruel, rude drivers and constantly delayed, slow service, I said to hell with it, and bought my car, which I love! Suffice it to say, no matter how bad the traffic, I'll never take the TTC again. I'd rather be be stuck in traffic, in my nice warm (or cool during summer) car, then waiting for the TTC (on the 501 queen street car line) to arrive late, and be pressed up against someone who doesn't believe in bathing. Yes, the car, although nothing special (just a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GT) it's all mine, I don't have to wait outside, nor encounter the often (but to be fair, not always) rotten service. As for that poor lady, she actually found her money after sitting down, but she must have been at least 80+, my parents always taught me to help the elderly, I felt so bad, especially since that bastard driver made her cry, but she was so sweet, she gave me a hug when she was getting off the street car, and much to my suprise, told the driver to, and I quote "go to hell", good for her!

Actually, I had been thinking about buying a car for months before this incident. Previous to this I had sold my car years ago and decided to take public transit to avoid traffic and try to save money, but this was the straw that broke the proverbial camels back. I've encountered one too many cruel, rude drivers and constantly delayed, slow service, I said to hell with it, and bought my car, which I love! Suffice it to say, no matter how bad the traffic, I'll never take the TTC again. I'd rather be be stuck in traffic, in my nice warm (or cool during summer) car, then waiting for the TTC (on the 501 queen street car line) to arrive late, and be pressed up against someone who doesn't believe in bathing. Yes, the car, although nothing special (just a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GT) it's all mine, I don't have to wait outside, nor encounter the often (but to be fair, not always) rotten service. As for that poor lady, she actually found her money after sitting down, but she must have been at least 80+, my parents always taught me to help the elderly, I felt so bad, especially since that bastard driver made her cry, but she was so sweet, she gave me a hug when she was getting off the street car, and much to my suprise, told the driver to, and I quote "go to hell", good for her!

Every time I've tried to comment or complain they make it damn near impossible to contact them, and seldom did I ever get a response.

TTC Customer Service is quite accessible - 416-393-3030 from 7 am to 10 pm - 7 days a week. I've never not had them answer the phone (though I assume it must happen occasionally). And you can communicate on-line http://www3.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Compliments_Complaints_Suggestions/index.jsp and at Twitter. Of late the response rate has been near 100%, and 100% if you follow-up with them.

I can only assume that you have either made up your story, or relating stuff that happened long before they fixed the customer service problem ... in which case ... why bother?

And really, a rude TTC driver drove you to buy a car to avoid rude people? I've driven in this city, and I've encountered some hugely rude drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists while driving. Your pulling our leg.

Last edited:
I reported a bus driver who ran a red ( he actually started to go through the light after it had turned red), causing a number of pedestrians who were crossing on the green to scatter. I have not heard back.

That said, I generally find TTC drivers to be pleasant and courteous. I've encountered the odd jerk, but they do seem to be in the minority.

High Park Subway Stn

On a more frequent basis (maybe it's because of timing) there has been significant waits (2+ minutes) at the High Park Subway Station. There is not an announcement for customers as to the reason. I assume it is because of a shift change (?).

Why is this type of delay allowed to occur on the subway? Shouldn't all shift changes or swaps of staff occur at the end of the line? It's similar to jumping in a taxi and then paying for him to drive to a gas station to fill up his tank.

Back