News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I'm getting near a 100% response rate from them, since the policy changes went into effect (the same time they went to extended hours, and started tweeting as @TTCHelps - though you have to make sure you change the "Response Required :" field from the default "For Information Only" to "Yes". Though if you didn't do that, just send an e-mail to ttcfollowup@ttc.ca saying you need a follow-up on that case. Though submitting a second complaint just after noting that you need a follow-up also works.

I have no doubt that customer service, and even upper managment are taking the whole thing seriously. But whether this actually translates to fixing some of the long-standing issues - even the easy ones. Most of my complaints of late have simply been service or replacement service based. I have noticed they are a lot slower to respond when you make the kind of suggest you've made - which is I expect, because they actually need to pass it to someone, and get a response back.

I've also noticed recently that if you question their response (as not actually addressing the issue), they do take the time to get it right the second time.

One historic example of it not working from a couple of years ago, is that I complained a few times in 2009/2010 that the 122 Graydon service 30-minute service at night would run so far ahead of schedule at Don Mills Road eastbound, that it was near impossible to catch (only ever tried when it was pouring with rain ... otherwise I'd just walk 10 minutes to catch a 25). As my office relocated from up there, to downtown in early 2011, I hadn't followed up on it ... but I was shocked to check NextBus the other evening, and saw that the buses up there were all still running 7 minutes ahead of schedule at 9 pm (no wonder I rarely ever caught one even though at the stop 5-6 min early). The fix for this is so easy, and costs nothing. Perhaps I should follow-up with it again with them ... and see if something actually changes this time.

I think there's every indication that they are taking things more seriously. The new customer service panel will hopefully drive some of this as well - but the very fact they've convened it is a good sign; as is the more serious dealing with complaints, and signs they are willing to spend money to improve things, such as washrooms. A long-term culture change is required - but these things never change overnight ... and the direction they are heading is the right one. The question is, how long will it take to get there, and will they stay the course. GO has done very well on this front in the last few years.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested with how well the complaints were settled. When I complained regarding one of my worst transit experiences to the TTC on board one of their vehicles, they told me to call YRT because the incident occurred north of Steeles! Specifically, I would have them examine phone complaints and records, since in my experience (both for the TTC and YRT) those numbers tend to be 1-800 bitch lines, and they tend to try and find ways to get you off the line rather than resolving any issues you may have. Writing a letter or email seems to be the best way for them to take notice.

Next step in TTC suggestion/complaint process

Received by email (note send date is Sunday, and reference number has changed):

June 24, 2012

Reference No.: 374022

Dear Valued Customer:

This is further to your recent correspondence dated June 18, 2012 regarding signage at College Station.

I would like to advise you that the TTC is committed to improving customer service and welcomes any feedback and suggestions from our riders in order to better serve the public. On this note, I have notified the appropriate personnel of your comments for further review.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sincerely,

<name snipped -Ed>
Senior Customer Service Representative

-- --

Post Script: I wonder how long I should wait for a response, before following up?
PPS: My suggestion is about crowd flow on the College northbound platform. I wonder if there is an existing thread here where it c/should be posted for possible discussion...

Post Script: I wonder how long I should wait for a response, before following up?
PPS: My suggestion is about crowd flow on the College northbound platform. I wonder if there is an existing thread here where it c/should be posted for possible discussion...
From reading that, I wouldn't expect any further response. Normally I reply quickly to answers like this and confirm a time-frame on when I should expect a response.

Wouldn't the College northbound platforms change a lot after they put in the second exit ... I assume there'll be a second exit for that platform, though I don't recall how that's supposed to work, unlike Dundas and Wellesley which have had some discussion here.

Wouldn't the College northbound platforms change a lot after they put in the second exit ... I assume there'll be a second exit for that platform, though I don't recall how that's supposed to work, unlike Dundas and Wellesley which have had some discussion here.

Unlike other stations, (and College SB) some folks seem to ignore the up escalator and overload the sole stairwell. A similar situation appears to happen at the north end of King NB, which has alternative access from/to the platform.

Is there a second exit thread here? I've heard nothing of late to indicate there is progress linking the Aura tower to College. Also curious about Dundas and Dundas West...

ed

Not customer service-related, but I can't find an appropriate thread for this...

Philadelphia's SEPTA public transit system has been named best large transit system in North America by the American Public Transportation Association. I have a friend in Philly who says the people who gave SEPTA this award must be on crack. I've been on the Philly subway once, but can't comment overall on the quality of their system. I wonder how TTC fared in the rankings? (Side note: it seems that SEPTA, like the TTC, still uses tokens.)

"SEPTA is indeed the best of the best," said APTA president Michael Melaniphy in announcing the selection at SEPTA's monthly board meeting. "SEPTA's many accomplishments and achievements are models for the rest of the public-transit industry."

He cited SEPTA's consolidated control center, environmentally friendly construction programs, large fleet of hybrid buses, and financial management.

The award came on the day SEPTA announced that its ridership in the just-completed fiscal year, 339.3 million passengers, was the highest since 1989.

SEPTA was selected as best among transit agencies providing more than 20 million trips a year. There are 64 transit agencies of that size in North America, although not all applied for the APTA recognition.

There is a reason I choose to drive to work, the TTC is the worst, most unreliable transit its size in the world! I got sick of late buses, being stuck in the subway tunnel for who knows how long (they never let us know anything). That, and rude employees everywhere, I'm sick of it! My health is not the best, and I do have a handicap parking pass, so I said screw it, I'm much happier in my car then squished like a sardine in a train!

There is a reason I choose to drive to work, the TTC is the worst, most unreliable transit its size in the world! I got sick of late buses, being stuck in the subway tunnel for who knows how long (they never let us know anything). That, and rude employees everywhere, I'm sick of it! My health is not the best, and I do have a handicap parking pass, so I said screw it, I'm much happier in my car then squished like a sardine in a train!
Surely, you are exaggerating here. I've never had the train stop (unless for only a minute or two) without endless announcements saying what's going on. And really, is it any worse than some other systems. I've heard worse complaints in New York City about bus lines with lack of service, that are over-filled. Worse complaints in Seattle about infrequent buses. Worse complaints in London about overpacked subway lines. And rude employees ... have you used the Montreal system?

I certainly admit the TTC is not perfect but it is FAR from being as you describe. In general TTC staff are very pleasant and far more so than I would be the way some passengers treat THEM!) and if you use the NextBus system it is not to hard to time your arrival at a stop to coincide with a bus or streetcar. I have been on FAR worse systems elsewhere, the MOntreal metro is not bad but it is much less frequent than the subway here, that's why you see people run for trains in Montreal but very seldom here!

I glad you both had a positive experience with the TTC, but not I. Granted, I've never enjoyed public transit, but I'll never forget waiting for the streetcar in the winter, in front of St Joseph's health centre, with the ice cold winds blowing, after working a double shift, and it's late. Not by a few minutes, but by up to a half hour. After work an 18 hour day, this is not what I expect, and when asked,the driver, with major attitude, said he was on his break. As for being stuck in the tunnel, I swear to you, it's happened to me countless times, making me late for work. The least they can do is get a cell network so we can use our phones. There's one other reason I don't like being delayed, I'm not being a snob, honest, I do however, have many health issues, the main being I had all of my colon and some small bowel removed in my 20's from colon Ca and Colitis, so for me, waiting, or being stuck in a tunnel, can be very painful. I try my best to be prepared, but at times I have no control over it. My doctor suggested I buy a car with dark tinted windows, just in case I leak I can clean myself. Sorry to gross you out, but I wanted you to know exactly why I can't tolerate TTC delays. I've had my car for over 2 years, and unless it breaks down, will never deal with the TTC (which stands for Take The Car) again. Perhaps thir service has improved since I last took it, I hope so, it's an essential service for our city, thanks.

I'll never forget waiting for the streetcar in the winter, in front of St Joseph's health centre, with the ice cold winds blowing, after working a double shift, and it's late. Not by a few minutes, but by up to a half hour.
If it's the middle of winter, and there is ice-cold wind, why would you even leave the building to head to the stop, until you've checked the NextBus data to see when the next vehicle is coming?

Now that said, even on the best system, things are going to happen. I've been on perfectly functioning streetcars, and literally had the automobile in front stop because a wheel (really!) had fallen off. Needless to say, one isn't going anywhere for a while. And if an unexpected delay is a big problem, then perhaps transit isn't the answer.

TTC's subways are great and the suburban bus routes are generally pretty good (very frequent if a bit slow), but our downtown surface routes are a real problem. New York's not known as an ideal transit system, but living here I've come to find its surface routes to be much more dependable than the TTC's streetcars. I take the bus multiple times a day in Manhattan and I have not seen two buses bunched together a single time in a year. In Downtown Toronto, that's the exception rather than the rule. Never mind Germany or other European countries, where surface routes in mixed traffic show up within a minute of schedule almost every time. I also find MTA employees to be on the whole more courteous than those of the TTC(!).

Bunching is such a large problem with the TTC. Given how frequent the suburban routes are it seems to make it worse (catch 22) but I put a hefty part of the blame on the TTC it self.

I've been to many other cities and the bunching doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. Granted its hard to make an observation based on a week or two worth of data but still ...

Can we say the TTC is the worst system in the world for bunching, if so why ?

Back