News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

These types of comparison articles offer very little that is helpful for us. For instance, we can't force drivers out of cars and onto transit simply because there isn't the transit capacity to do so, presently. Crowding existing transit lines will not serve to produce new transit development; it'll produce more antagonsim towards the transit system.

Yes, we are a car-oriented culture. But I can recall seeing plenty of cars in European cities, too (even the ones with good transit systems). In London, those narrow pre-automobile streets could get very congested.

Would it be nice to see big developments for transit in Toronto? Yes. Are we about to get twelve billion dollars for regional rail? No.

Can we start planning transit and in-city development for the future now? Absolutely. Do we see this happening? Sort of.

Not that I think London should be our model, but it is true that for the first time in a generation Londoners are experiencing a complete re-investment in their system and some very aggressive anti-driving policies. Still, that doesn`t mean you won`t wait 20 minutes for a train on the Hammersmith & City line.

Indeed. Or try getting on the Northern heading into the centre from Camden or Hampstead in the morning. Makes Yonge-Bloor look like it should have bales of hay rolling down the platform.

"North American standards"?

because apart from maybe two or three cities we look very good in comparison. A lot of cities in North America have nice looking systems but hardly any one uses them. Also that they are nothing in comparison to size and sheer volume of the TTC.

However when compare to the rest of the world, we look pretty bad.

I also meant TTC ridership is increasing fast and imagine how much higher it could go if had built the Eglinton line or the Sheppard line further. People are willing to use Transit in Toronto they just want good transit.

The TTC has decided to turn their token machines into "1 token only" machines. Others can now only accept a $10 bill.

And, as expected, lineups at the booths have increased dramatically.

The TTC is literally a joke.

Prevent people from doing what I did earlier today.

Bought $105 in tokens which will probably last me until the end of January. Pretty good ROI actually.

Whenever I take transit, if the lines are short, I'll probably continue purchasing tokens until I have 100 of them (supply until late spring).

i was going to try once and take my 14 year old cousin in Scarborough with her student card and buy like a 100-200 tokens for 1.40 each.... :D

Prevent people from doing what I did earlier today.

Bought $105 in tokens which will probably last me until the end of January. Pretty good ROI actually.

Whenever I take transit, if the lines are short, I'll probably continue purchasing tokens until I have 100 of them (supply until late spring).

Stop doing this! Last time I tried to legitimately buy tokens, they were all out and I had to buy useless bus tickets. Think of how much trouble you're causing other people (some of whom enter the subway via turnstyle only entrances) in order to save a measly 15 bucks over the next 8 months. This is cheap and selfish behaviour.

God forbid you should spend what works out to 40 cents extra per week.

$1.40 to $2.10, hmm i think driving 50 mins to Scarborough could be worth it.. :D.

2.10-1.40=0.70 cents times a 100= I could save 70 bucks????

With My fuel efficient Camry, it would cost like 5-6 dollars worth of gas.

Well my opportunity cost, well i don't do anything on Sundays apart from watching Alfred Hitchcock films...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no such thing as student tokens. Students buy tickets with "Student" printed clearly on them.

$1.40 to $2.10, hmm i think driving 50 mins to Scarborough could be worth it.. :D.

2.10-1.40=0.70 cents times a 100= I could save 70 bucks????

With My fuel efficient Camry, it would cost like 5-6 dollars worth of gas.

Well my opportunity cost, well i don't do anything on Sundays apart from watching Alfred Hitchcock films...

Don't forget to calculate the other costs of owning the car. Insurance, maintenance and the like.

Think of how much trouble you're causing other people
I'm not causing any troubles. Dundas Southbound platform booths never run out of tokens.

And yes, I am cheap. Aside from which, $15 is just shy of a 5 days worth of meals.

Don't forget to calculate the other costs of owning the car. Insurance, maintenance and the like.

Yes, but remember that choice riders, who make up the bulk of the TTC ridership and are the most important in advocating for better funding, do not have to include any of those in their calculations.

Back