News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This conversation is getting silly.
Is the solution, then, to reverse the purchase of the new streetcars, because they will break down?
Is the solution to ban streetcars because they will break down?

Last edited:
While I was at West Toronto Site Friday/Sat, didn't see 4404 that supposed to be here this weekend and looks like another miss date.

This leave 6 weeks to get 5 cars from Thunder Bay to meet Aug 31 date without having to put 4401 & 4402 into service until there is 6 production cars here.

On Street Parking for Streetcar routes should be ban and if so, you will find very fast how many of those cars belong to store owner, but most of the residents in the area.

The idea that parking is for business is only a dream and generate very little to local business in the first place.

While I was at West Toronto Site Friday/Sat, didn't see 4404 that supposed to be here this weekend and looks like another miss date.

This leave 6 weeks to get 5 cars from Thunder Bay to meet Aug 31 date without having to put 4401 & 4402 into service until there is 6 production cars here.

On Street Parking for Streetcar routes should be ban and if so, you will find very fast how many of those cars belong to store owner, but most of the residents in the area.

The idea that parking is for business is only a dream and generate very little to local business in the first place.

And what about the employee who parks his or her car on the street or in the parking lot? They're taking away space that could be used by people who actually matter. Better if those employees take the TTC, but the employer would rather give them a free parking space instead of the fares to get to work and home.

By my early calculations this means Bombardier won't finish delivering the goods until February of 2031!

It's like Miller's gift that keeps on giving.

I wonder if his team of crack negotiators was smart enough to put late delivery penalties into the contract? I would bet on no!

Crony capitalism at its finest!

Are we really heading down the road where residents aren't even allowed to park on their own streets?

By my early calculations this means Bombardier won't finish delivering the goods until February of 2031!

It's like Miller's gift that keeps on giving.

I wonder if his team of crack negotiators was smart enough to put late delivery penalties into the contract? I would bet on no!
Rob Ford was the one who signed the final contract.

Though do you suggest perhaps that we should have not awarded the streetcar contract to the lowest bidder? Wasn't the next bid about $7.5 million per car instead of $5 million?

Are we really heading down the road where residents aren't even allowed to park on their own streets?
One can only hope so.

Though do you suggest perhaps that we should have not awarded the streetcar contract to the lowest bidder? Wasn't the next bid about $7.5 million per car instead of $5 million?

One can only hope so.
The only reason there was a 2nd bid was to try to keep a foot in the door since it was a given the order was going to Thunder Bay in the first place.

If the 2031 date does happen or come close, it clearly show the mess one gets going to a single source supplier when there is more than one in the market. If the same penalty clause was written into the contract like all the Orion Buses and this going well past the plan delivery schedule, TTC could wind up getting haft the fleet free based on what taking place today and saving a chunk of money.

Since Ford sign the contract, a good chance he could had remove that penalty clause. Unless one can get their hand on the contract and read it, it a guessing game.

As for residential parking on main streetcar routes, better start looking for another place as well making sure you have 1 car for your place.

It time to look at all residential parking on all streets to bring in new bylaws requiring only 1 car per house if there is no backyard parking. If there is backyard parking, no car allow on the street for that house. If you rent in that house, you are out of luck to have a car there if there is more than 1 renter there.

So far, TTC sole supplier of transit equipment is doing a crappy job and time to forcing them to comply with contract requirements or terminate them and get new suppliers. A number of suppliers are ready to jump in and finish these contract as well waiting for future bids to happen so they can get the orders.

Has anyone seen 4403 outside of Hillcrest yet?? If not, not a good sign that this car is ready for real time service come Aug 31 as well the late delivery of 4404 and up to 4410.

Last edited:

One can only hope so.

Forgotten was being sarcastic ;)

Toronto's "Caterpillars" - a nickname for the TTC's new streetcars

Pics taken June 27, 2014. Spadina and King.

GHIrksN.jpg

Took a few minutes and a loud siren + horn to get by.
tYGC5fs.jpg

Looks impressive.
O2TMF8e.jpg

I can just imagine a couple of these stuck on the tracks for whatever reason will cause a lot of traffic chaos. Looks like that downtown relief line cant get here fast enough.
k8P3wXc.jpg

Everyone: Now that the TTC's new LRV streetcars are now being placed into service I was wondering if anyone has coined
a "nickname" for these cars: Let me offer "Caterpillar" in this regard because of the multiple articulated sections comprising
each car and its noticeably longer length - quite a change as compared to the 80s vintage CLRV which have served Toronto
well since they replaced the aging (at the time) PCC fleet...

The introduction of this new LRV fleet shows me that the TTC is making commitments to keeping and expanding streetcar
service even in the face of a hostile Mayor that does not support these options - this is a good move by the TTC...

LI MIKE

Forgotten was being sarcastic ;)

So it's sarcastic now to point out the TTC okayed the production line a couple of months ago and still has only one unit to show for it?

Where's the auditor general??? Why aren't people writing their letters to the integrity commissioner???

4401 and 4402 were always planned to be part of the contingent of units available for service on August 31st. They aren't heading back to Thunder Bay until several dozen cars are on the property and in service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back