News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

based on this tweet....I think drivers are gonna have a fair bit of learning/adjusting to do to learn when these are open for passengers to get on and off.

stopped streetcar.JPG

Attachments

• stopped streetcar.JPG
    stopped streetcar.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 771
Are there no signs or lights flashing to warn drivers that the doors are opening?

Not sure where that assumption came from. Via this very site:

For motorists one of the most unnerving things is being unsure if a streetcar is about to open its doors to let passengers out. The new streetcars solve that problem with a series of flashing lights and chimes designed to keep everyone safe and well aware of their surroundings.

it says the 510 will start operating in August, with all door boarding. But how does that work when presto is not ready yet.
you can't expect passengers to have presto for the 510 and tokens for other streetcars/subway, can you?

it says the 510 will start operating in August, with all door boarding. But how does that work when presto is not ready yet.
Just how it works now on 501. You'll get a receipt/transfer when you put your money or token in the "farebox" ... though I'd guess it looks more like a vending machine ... and you get your receipt/transfer from the machine.

you can't expect passengers to have presto for the 510 and tokens for other streetcars/subway, can you?
Why not? They use Presto now at some stations, and tokens for others. You'll still be able to pay with cash, tokens, or tickets on the new streetcars as well.

Hopefully, the TTC will release a "how-to" video on how to use the new streetcars (pre-Presto). Expect some passengers to be confused about how to open the door (red button?) or how to deploy the wheelchair ramp (blue button?).

I expect plenty of accidentally deployed wheelchair ramps.

I think that initially the wheelchair button should be disabled for use by passengers. When someone presses it, the driver can look at the camera to see if its somebody who really needs it or if it's someone who pressed the wrong button.

I expect plenty of accidentally deployed wheelchair ramps.

I think that initially the wheelchair button should be disabled for use by passengers. When someone presses it, the driver can look at the camera to see if its somebody who really needs it or if it's someone who pressed the wrong button.
Ramps are only deployed by drivers. The button is to ask the driver to deploy it. Otherwise you would get accidental deployed ramps - possibly underneath a stopped automobile!

Do you think the new streetcars can be wrapped with advertising like the existing ones? I imagine it's a decent source of revenue.

I think that for the time being they should wrap just the old streetcars, until the percentage of old streetcars isn't enough to fill the demand of ads.

Only a handful of streetcars get it anyways.

I would wrap all of the old streetcars in ads if I was in charge. It would raise more money and honestly, the old streetcars look more modern with the wraps. It hides all the rust and discolouration.

Here is 4401 heading to storage area at Hillcrest after the trip with pan up http://youtu.be/3amj9Skx45E

Here is 4403 going out for a test run around the yard
[video=youtube_share;4kobScpQIMI]http://youtu.be/4kobScpQIMI[/video]

Back